List: Prishtina-L

[Prishtina-l] Re: [Alb-Club] People please

Dorin Gheciu dorin.gheciu at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 21 17:18:05 EST 2001

Dear Sasko,

I believe there are not many Slav Macedonians living in Albania. However, you are right, Albanians do enjoy some political rights in Macedonia, and the Macedonian administration has treated the Albanians better than the Serbs did. However, there is still inequity in Macedonia regarding the Albanians. Many foreign, impartial observers have noticed that there is a rather crass job discrimination against them, and they do not receive a proportionate share of government services. Also, Albanian language should be an official language in Macedonia, due to the very large proportion of Albanians. The government should fund an Albanian-speaking University, the same way it funds the Macedonian-speaking Universities, since Albanians also pay taxes. Albanians should enjoy the same rights as sizeable minorities in all civilized countries, for instance the French-speaking Canadians, Swiss or Belgians. Treating minorities fairly and with the utmost respect has not led to the disintegration of those countries. On the contrary, it is the main reason for their prosperity and social peace.

In spite of this, I don't believe there is deliberate, malevolent persecution of Albanians in Macedonia (like it used to be in Kosova). It is more a case of nepotism: in a poor country, people tend to take care first of their relatives and friends. Also, there is unjustified fear about the disintegration of  Macedonia. Actually, Albania and Albanians have a vested interest in the survival of Macedonia. The two peoples should be natural allies: both have suffered a lot in the past. They have  been victims of the most brutal persecution from their rapacious neighbors, like Greece and others.

In fact, I am sure that the Macedonians will end up granting the Albanians their legitimate, minority rights, and Macedonia will prosper. Additionally, Macedonia will have no better friend and supporter than Albania. Unlike other Balkan nations, Albanians are not inclined towards occupying and oppressing other peoples.

Yours sincerely,
D.