| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: Prishtina-E[Prishtina-E] [AMCC-News] News: MACEDONIA: OHRID TWO YEARS ON (IWPR)Mentor Cana mentor at alb-net.comWed Aug 20 01:14:00 EDT 2003
---------------------------------------------------------------------
AMCC
http://www.alb-net.com/amcc/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.iwpr.net/index.pl?archive/bcr3/bcr3_200308_454_2_eng.txt
MACEDONIA: OHRID TWO YEARS ON
Progress has been made but doubts remain over the future of the republic's
two ethnic groups.
By Ana Petruseva in Skopje (BCR No 454, 19-Aug-03)
Macedonia is still facing numerous challenges to its fragile peace two
years after the Ohrid peace agreement brought an end to ethnic conflict.
Splinter guerrilla groups, an impoverished economy, weak state
institutions, crime, corruption and a wide social gap between ethnic
communities are still threatening to destablise the region.
In 2001, ethnic Albanian guerrillas launched an insurgency in the name of
greater civil rights. The fighting ended with the signing of the
western-brokered peace accord, the Ohrid agreement, on August 13, 2001.
In the following year's elections, voters ousted the ruling nationalists
and brought a new coalition to power, featuring Social Democrats and the
Democratic Party of Albanians, formed by many former National Liberation
Army fighters.
Ex-NLA leader Ali Ahmeti laid down his weapons to become a parliamentary
deputy, and his party now has four ministers and a vice-premier in government.
Since then, the Ohrid accord, designed to lay a foundation for a unitary,
multiethnic state, has been seen as a basis for future stability and its
implementation a pre-requisite for integration into the European Union and
NATO.
The deal has been implemented gradually, with most of its elements - apart
from decentralisation - being adopted.
Decentralisation is the only component of the agreement that has real
benefits for Macedonians as well as Albanians, but the process of drawing
up new municipal boundaries and the financing of local authorities has not
even begun yet due to lack of compromise on both sides, and further talks
have been delayed until next month.
However, progress has been made in other areas. Albanian deputies can now
use their language in parliament. Personal documents are issued in
Albanian, and a controversial illegal Albanian university in Tetovo is
being legalised and will soon be state-funded. The process of equal
representation of Albanians in state institutions is also underway.
Two years ago, most ethnic Macedonians viewed the agreement as a defeat,
claiming that the majority had been "taken hostage" by the Albanian
minority, but today the peace deal is viewed as being necessary, if unloved.
Marking the second anniversary of the deal, Macedonian president Boris
Trajkovski said, "There is no need for any party to view the framework
agreement as a defeat.
"Time has given proof to our expectations [of] a truly European agreement
- one that would end possibilities for territorial solutions to ethnic
questions. The agreement guarantees Macedonia's authentic multi-cultural
identity and offers no potential for federalisation or division along
ethnic lines."
However, Macedonian and Albanian opposition parties do not share his view
and take every opportunity to undermine the deal, claiming that it has
produced no results. Many have even suggested partition of the country
into separate ethnic entities.
The biggest Macedonian opposition party VMRO-DPMNE and their former
coalition partner the Democratic Party of Albanians have heavily
criticised the deal, saying it has done nothing to improve security as
numerous violent incidents still happen on daily basis.
But this view was refuted by Macedonia premier Branko Crvenkovski, who
said, "Many criticise it from different positions, but nobody has offered
any other serious alternative. As of itself, it does not impose limits,
but the opportunities it offers depends upon our abilities to make use of
it.
"The return to complete peace, security and restoration of multi-ethnic
trust is a difficult process with many obstacles and obstructions. But it
is worth investing in the fulfilment of the framework agreement's goals.''
But on the ground, both communities are still living in parallel
societies, nurturing damaging prejudices, and few attempts to bridge this
gap have been successful.
However, there has been an improvement in the general security situation
over the past two years, and the EU military mission, Concordia, is
expected to leave the country by the end of the year. Nonetheless, the
persistence of ethnic violence shows that Macedonia is not out of the
woods yet.
A shadowy guerrilla group called the Albanian National Army, ANA - which
has taken responsibility for most incidents in Macedonia, southern Serbia
and Kosovo - repeatedly threatens to start a war to unite all Albanian
territories.
Diplomats in Skopje say the group is made up of criminals and does not
pose a serious threat to peace, while the same group has been described as
"terrorists" in Kosovo.
Edward Joseph, a former director of the International Crisis Group in the
region, told IWPR that the jury was still out on whether the days of
conflict were over, "We don't know whether the calm that we see now in
Macedonia is a momentary lull or in fact the first steps of establishing
true stability.
"There are still too many open questions about the capacity of the state,
police, courts, government and political leaders to say for sure that
Macedonia is on a road of peace and can never turn to conflict."
Anna Petruseva is IWPR project manager in Skopje.
______________________________________________________________
If you wish to unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
amcc-news-unsubscribe at alb-net.com , or visit AMCC-NEWS's page at:
http://www.alb-net.com/mailman/listinfo/amcc-news
More information about the Prishtina-E mailing list |