| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: Prishtina-E[Prishtina-E] Nato plans to patrol Kosovo with former foeRamis Ahmetaj ramis39 at hotmail.comTue Nov 28 20:00:01 EST 2000
Nato plans to patrol Kosovo with former foe BY MICHAEL EVANS, DEFENCE EDITOR NATO and the Yugoslav Army (VJ), which were at war 17 months ago, may begin joint patrols in the buffer zone between Kosovo and Serbia to stop anti-Serb attacks by heavily armed ethnic Albanian guerrillas. The idea of joint Kfor/VJ patrols inside the five-kilometre (three-mile) demilitarised zone around Kosovo is expected to be among a number of drastic measures to be studied by Nato ambassadors. They hope to prevent a breakdown in the June 1999 agreement with Belgrade, which ended the alliances bombing campaign and led to Kfors entry into the province as a peacekeeping force. Any move towards a joint patrolling arrangement would underline Natos growing anxiety about the attacks launched from within the security zone across the border into southern Serbia. In addition, they would reflect the alliances determination to meet the concerns expressed by Yugoslavias President Kostunica. Yesterday Mr Kostunica sent a second letter in a week to Lord Robertson of Port Ellen, the Nato SecretaryGeneral, complaining that Kfor troops were failing to prevent Albanian gunmen from launching attacks into Serbia in the Presevo Valley. He also wrote to Kofi Annan, the United Nations Secretary-General. On a visit to Vienna, which he cut short to return home, Mr Kostunica gave warning of the risk of the whole region being set ablaze. Addressing foreign ministers of the 55-member Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Mr Kostunica said that Kosovo was Europes most critical issue. Later he said it was crystal clear that Nato and the UN, which is administering Kosovo, had failed to do their job properly. Ethnic Albanian gunmen of the so-called Liberation Army of Presevo, Medvedja and Bujanovac agreed yesterday to extend a ceasefire until Friday, after pressure from American Kfor commanders responsible for the southeast of the province. However, the recent attacks in the Presevo Valley have cast doubt on Natos ability to control the area and have presented Mr Kostunica with his gravest problem since coming to power. Serb police in the region said yesterday that they would use all available means, including heavy weapons, to regain territory seized by the militant group, which is fighting to annexe the Presevo Valley as part of Kosovo because it has a large ethnic Albanian population. The valley was not included in the Kosovo security agreement signed between Nato and the VJ. British diplomatic sources said yesterday that Natos military committee had been asked to produce a range of options for tackling the crisis. It is felt that tough measures may be required to put an end to the attacks and to show Mr Kostunica that the alliance is prepared to act decisively to keep the region stable. Geoff Hoon, the British Defence Secretary, said yesterday on a two-day visit to the Balkans that he sympathised with President Kostunicas concern for the security of Serbs in the disputed zone. I recognise that he has legitimate concerns about the Serbian population on both sides of that border, he told reporters. It is very important that we dont allow anyone to disturb either the border or the sense of security that people feel on either side of it. The problem for Nato is that the 1999 military technical agreement signed with the VJ in June last year was drawn up to prohibit Yugoslav Army and armed Ministry of Interior police (MUP) from entering the buffer zone. Only lightly armed Serb police are allowed to patrol the zone. No one foresaw that Albanian separatists would exploit the security zone to their own ends. Although the notion of joint Kfor/VJ patrols is expected to be given serious consideration, British sources said that there were other options that might be more practical. They could include even tougher border patrols by Kfor troops. Under the military technical agreement, Kfor troops are allowed to enter the security zone only for specific purposes. However, the grave risks to stability in the region posed by the ethnic Albanian militant element may now force Nato to move troops east into the zone, if only to deter the VJ and MUP from taking unilateral action. With reports of Serbian tanks hovering in the region, the sources also said it was vital that Mr Kostunica was kept informed of what was going on. I would guess that Mr Kostunica is not getting the best advice from the VJ, one source said. However, Nato sources said it was encouraging that Mr Kostunica had not issued any form of ultimatum in his letter to Lord Robertson, or threatened unilateral action, but had merely urged Kfor to do more to stop the attacks. A ten-year-old ethnic Albanian boy was killed and his sister and brother were seriously wounded yesterday when a tractor carrying civilians hit a landmine in southern Serbia in the security zone. The Serbs said the mine had been placed by Albanian terrorists. Copyright 2000 Times Newspapers Ltd. This service is provided on Times Newspapers' standard terms and conditions. To inquire about a licence to reproduce material from The Times, visit the Syndication website. _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com
More information about the Prishtina-E mailing list |