List: NYC-L

[NYC-L] Antigona, Isa, Al-Qaeda

Jeton Ademaj jeton at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 31 00:22:50 EDT 2005

Hi Antigona

I certainly agree with your main point, but i would add that the Khaled
Al-Masri account i provided is more clearly related to Balkan Govts playing
kiss-up to USA spooks. I suspect Boskovski's actions were more related to
internal Mac politics and a desire to create "wiggle-room" for a hardline
crackdown from Shkup. from what i know the USA wasn't involved in the
Boskovski slaughter, and to it's rare credit Shkup seems to be on the ball
prosecuting Bosko's outrageous blood-sacrifice of innocent migrant
workers...9/11 will be rippling out for decades i'm afraid. the imperative
is Ripple-Management.

I'd also add that the Al-Masri fiasco and it's like are stupid precisely
because they can be used as tools for Salafist-extremists to recruit
followers in the Balkans. The reason Al Qaeda never gained an Albanian
foothold to match the one it gained in Bosnia is because those arguments
that rippled thru State in the early 90's about using the Balkans as a
bridge to the Islamic world finally bore fruit. it was too late for Bosnia,
as Clinton's pussying-out over campaign pledges veered into the open-door
policy for Mujaheddin and Iranian arms shipments to the Bosnians as the
implications of total inaction really set-in...but NATO's bombing in '99
combined with it's reported use of the KLA for some targeting applications
checked the advance of Al Qaeda into Albanian territories. That success
could easily be lost if the USA chooses to give Al Qaeda propaganda
victories in Albo territory by using Albos to do evil to innocent muslims.
Some at Langley may have speculated that any such Al Qaeda foothold would
give DC additional leverage over Albos, but overall it's contemptuous of the
War On Terror's stated aims (containment, for instance!)

2nd PS to Isa: THAT point is one i still intend to elaborate in response to
your May hissyfit about being called a "brownshirt" (aka Nazi is how you
took it). Besides the fact that i was referring to YOU and not Albos
generally, and that it was only half-serious (you are MUCH mellower onlist
than u used to be, but thats not saying too much :) -- I thought it was a
tad funny to be calling me "irresponsible", with a "slippery pen", when
chasing down your own links led me to articles and interviews where you
played up the danger of an Al-Qaeda foothold among katundars. And that our
whole exchange was based on your criticizing "people onlist" (aka ME,
mostly) posting State Dept transcripts and not shmoozing State desk officers
instead. also funny that Josh Black aint responded to my last email relating
that...he's usually much more responsive! ho-hum...i DO like the idea about
getting an Albanian Studies chair endowed somewhere cool but otherwise
thought our exchange had too much inky-cloudy-ness from you (grad school
habit i'm sure) , and it also sounded like you were too casual about
dismissing ideas (eg "what NOT to do, as opposed to what TO do")...it
sounded a bit like Bleron guarding against non-useful actions by AASO and
the latter's resultant morbidity. Only you lack Bleron's humor and
tyrranilicious bone-structure, as most of us do! And not to be snippy, but
it was cute having u dismiss media outreach to larger media outlets, only to
reference your own articles in outlandishly obscure ones (the *alternative*
Ottoman review? what, the regular one is too mainstream, too "poppy"?)
Furthermore, I must echo one of your interviewers who said that your
dismissals of anti-Serbian abuse as "overstated" sounded insensitive,
contemptuous and reflexively apologist.

Lastly, i caught some semantic *inklings* of homophobic commentary in your
earlier posts ("remission/submission/emission") but i must say i got mad at
the "plumage, prancing around" bullshit; it clarified that your references
to my gayness would remain ambiguous and shrouded in that
plausible-deniability-shit thats a by-product of those unfortunate campus
speech codes. I prefer my encounters with bigotry (however mild) to be more
obvious, whereas your allusions sounded, well, abstracted in a brown-shirty
way. Like LeRoi Jones (aka Amiri Baraka) babbling about Bayard Rustin being
"an untrustworthy Negro...I wanna know when and how he's gonna submit!".
Just say "man-up, faggot!" and call it a day!

I really should have waited to review/excerpt your last big email b4 writing
this mini-reply, but i'm procrastinating finishing up a several-thousand
word piece elsewhere...let this suffice for now, reply at will, but i cant
reply for a few days cuz procrastination and the attendent
adrenaline-rush-of-rushing is a weakness of mine.

Best to all :)