List: NYC-L

[NYC-L] PBS KLA Hatchet Job

Isa Blumi ngapeja at rocketmail.com
Wed Jul 20 07:02:44 EDT 2005

sorry for the interruption, cat stepped on the
keyboard, but...such documented stories would do far
more than anything being done on kosova's behalf in
Prishtina (which, aside from Albin Kurti's KAN, is not
much).

I have met several anthropology students over the last
few years and I was getting hopeful that they would
apply their training to do some interesting things
about redirecting the tone surrounding how Albnians in
general are represented in academia, or even better
yet, reveal some of the more important legacies of
long term suppression to fit in the popular
post-colonial genre that has infested academia
today...as of now, we have a Japanese scholar who just
finished a study on Kanun...this constant return to
Albanian exotica keeps Kosova savage, a perfect
condition to justify Belgrade's increasingly
persuasive arguments that only they know how to handle
Kosova. Why could not some of our anthropology
students team up with colleagues, film-maker friends
to do a multi-media study on Kosovars that sheds light
on just how similar our experiences with war,
oppression, state terrorism have been with
others...the 10th anniversary of Srbrenica had
Belgrade on its heals...it still contempteously keeps
the remains of at least 600 men, avoiding the media
specticle and no one in the outside world is raising
an arm in outrage.

Can anyone direct me to a Kosovar making a
documentary-style film on Kosova? At least for a
European/US market?

Respectfully,

Isa

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2005/thebrooklynconnection/