List: NYC-L

[NYC-L] PBS KLA Hatchet Job

Isa Blumi ngapeja at rocketmail.com
Wed Jul 20 06:49:26 EDT 2005

In light of Jeton's report on what is par for the
course in Europe these days...a well-connected insider
tells me there is growing hostility (I stress the
word) in Europe towards Kosova's independence...a
Dutch film-maker's rendition of the Florin Krasniqi
story is not surprising...

Out of curiosity, we have so many young people both in
Kosova and in the diaspora, are any of them studying
or have studied film? While the response to hatchet
jobs are not other hatchet jobs, perhaps the only way
to garner the sympathies of the larger world is
through film. I can think of something like Control
Room and its impact on so many viewers can easily be
reproduced from Kosova's perspective. Open hostility
towards the UN is an excellent topic (and an easy one)
as report after report in the mainstream press about
UN negligence in restraining their "Peace keepers"
from visiting HIV infested bars can nicely fit in with
life outside Prishtina story...and the corruption is
easily documented.

But perhaps the more compelling story is that of all
of our victims out there. NoT only of the 1998-1999
period but of a lifetime of psychological torment,
economic subordination and political oppression. From
the film-maker's point of view Kosovars are extremely
photogenic and intriguing subjects that would
fascinate US/European audiences. Tying that fact in
with some of the more horrific stories of suffering,
collective and enduring pain would be ve

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2005/thebrooklynconnection/