| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: KCC-NEWS[Kcc-News] Bodies of 3 Americans found in mass grave in Serbia; Serbian investigators open second mass grave on edge of BelgradeMentor Cana mentor at alb-net.comMon Jul 16 16:39:56 EDT 2001
1. Bodies of 3 New Yorkers Believed Found in Serbian Grave 2. Serbian investigators open second mass grave on edge of Belgrade ##### 1 ##### http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/16/international/europe/16ALBA.html July 16, 2001 Bodies of 3 New Yorkers Believed Found in Serbian Grave By CARLOTTA GALL ELGRADE, Serbia, July 15 The Serbian authorities have found what may be the remains of three Albanian-American brothers from New York who were arrested and apparently executed under Slobodan Milosevic's government shortly after NATO's war against Yugoslavia ended. They would be the first Albanian- American dead found in Serbia since the war ended in 1999. They were among several hundred from the United States who formed what they had called the Atlantic Brigade to help in the fight against Serbian forces in Kosovo. But at the time that the brothers disappeared, the war was over. And according to accounts provided by witnesses and investigators familiar with the case, the three men were apparently not engaged in combat, but were escorting frightened neighbors out of the Serbian province. The three bodies, blindfolded and their hands bound by wire, were found last week lying at the top of a mass grave holding as many as 16 bodies at Petrovo Selo, in eastern Serbia. Documents apparently found on them indicated that they were three brothers of the Bytyqi family of New York: Ylli, 24; Agron, 23; and Mehmet, 21. They were last seen alive on July 8, 1999, when they were released from a prison in southern Serbia, then driven away in a white car by the Serbian special police. While officials in Belgrade would not confirm the identities of the bodies, a lawyer who is acting as a spokesman for the family, Martin G. Vulaj, said in New York that the family had received a call last week from an American official in Macedonia who said there was a "very high probability" that the bodies were those of the three brothers. "They had identification documents on them apparently when they were found." he said. "The information is that two of them were in civilian clothes, and one of them, at least partially, had on fatigues. We don't know which one." "The language they used," he added, referring to the American official, "was that they were 99 percent certain it was them." Natasa Kandic, head of the Humanitarian Law Center in Belgrade, who has investigated the case, says their membership in the Atlantic Brigade was not the reason for their arrest by the Serbian police. The young men had been staying with their mother in the town of Prizren, in southern Kosovo, after the war ended and NATO troops had moved into the province, she said. The Bytyqis agreed to help their mother's neighbors, three Roma, or Gypsy men, who wanted to leave for Serbia. Fearful of the revenge attacks by Albanians that were widespread at the time, the three Roma asked the Bytyqi brothers to accompany them on the two-hour drive to the border with Serbia proper. One of the Roma, Miroslav Mitrovic, later reported the incident to Ms. Kandic in her office in Belgrade. He said the men set off from home on June 26 and drove north via the Kosovo capital, Pristina, where they were stopped by members of the Albanian rebel force, the Kosovo Liberation Army. The rebels accused them of helping the Roma men to escape, but allowed the Bytyqis to proceed. Once over the boundary into Serbia, at Merdare, they were stopped by the police and arrested for entering Serbia proper without visas. They were sentenced before a judge to 15 days' imprisonment and moved to the jail in the nearby town of Prokuplje. On July 8, four days before their sentence was up, they were released into the hands of two plainclothes policemen who drove them away. According to Ms. Kandic, one policeman who had been preparing to take them back to Kosovo was ordered off the case by his chief and told that others would deal with them. The implication was that the chief had received orders from the authorities in Belgrade, she said. She said she did not know who had ordered the killings or why. "They were registered by the court and the prison, and afterwards they were taken away and killed," she said. "Why?" After the exhumation, Ms. Kandic's organization, which investigates war crimes in the Balkans, sent an open letter to the Serbian authorities demanding that they provide an answer to the Bytyqis' mother. Observers from the center were present at the exhumation. The grave found at Petrovo Selo is on the grounds of a former training camp of the Special Operations Units of the Secret Police, the most feared of the Serbian forces operating in Kosovo. Investigators have found 75 bodies in two graves so far, and say that apart from the three Americans, the rest are Kosovo Albanians who were transported from Kosovo during the war with NATO in an operation ordered by Mr. Milosevic to remove evidence of war crimes from the province. Another mass grave containing 36 bodies has been discovered at Batajnica, a suburb of Belgrade, in a training base belonging to the Interior Ministry's Special Antiterrorist Unit. Today the Serbian authorities announced that they had found yet another mass grave, the fourth in the last two months, holding some 50 to 60 bodies in western Serbia. These bodies are also believed to hold victims of the Kosovo war. ##### 2 ##### http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010716/1/19cib.html Tuesday July 17, 12:59 AM Serbian investigators open second mass grave on edge of Belgrade BELGRADE, July 16 (AFP) - Serbian investigators have started work on a second mass grave on the grounds of a special police base that is thought to contain a large number of murdered Kosovo Albanians, the state news agency Tanjug said Monday. The grave is at Batajnica, some 15 kilometres (10 miles) northwest of the capital, where investigators exhumed around 36 corpses earlier this month, Tanjug quoted a Belgrade district court statement as saying. It said the second grave contained "a large number of corpses" but gave no further details. Serbian police confirmed Sunday they had found yet another mass grave thought to contain the corpses of more than 60 Kosovo Albanians presumed to have been killed by Serbian forces, put in a truck and dumped in a reservoir in 1999. A statement on the Serbian government Internet site said the bodies had been buried in southwest Serbia on the border with Bosnia by the former regime after corpses were spotted floating to the surface. "More than 60 bodies were found in the Perucac hydroelectric plant reservoir," the statement said. The Perucac discovery bore the hallmarks of a similar attempt to hide bodies in another refrigerated truck recovered from the bed of the river Danube. The truck contained the bodies of more than 70 elderly people, women and children, thought to have been from the Prizren region in the south of Kosovo. The bodies showed signs of bullet wounds and mutilation. Thousands of ethnic Albanians went missing during the 1998-99 Kosovo conflict, and the West accused Milosevic's forces of committing widespread atrocities. Milosevic is now awaiting trial before the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague for his alleged part in war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in the province. The head of the organised crime unit, Dragan Karleusa, has openly accused Milosevic and his supporters of ordering the destruction of criminal evidence of crimes committed by Serbian forces against the ethnic Albanian civilian population. He said that some 800 ethnic Albanians are thought to have been buried in mass graves around Belgrade, including the Batajnica site. Some 2,500 ethnic Albanians and 1,300 Serbs are still listed as missing, two years after the end of the conflict.
More information about the KCC-NEWS mailing list |