| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: KCC-NEWS[Kcc-News] Albania, Kosovo leaders condemn murder of Serbs (UPI, 17 February 2001)Mentor Cana mentor at alb-net.comSun Feb 18 23:31:19 EST 2001
http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=160890 Albania, Kosovo leaders condemn murder of Serbs Saturday, 17 February 2001 1:52 (ET) TIRANA, Albania, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Albania's government and Kosovo Albanian leaders Friday reacted sharply to the bomb attack that killed seven Serbs and injured 43 others. "We strongly condemn this ugly and unacceptable criminal act that does not serve the process of stabilisation in Kosovo," the Albanian Foreign Ministry said in a statement. The statement pleaded with ethnic Albanians "to not become a prey of extremists' provocations, even those of Albanians." The Tirana government condemned the acts as criminal "damage to the efforts of Albanian political parties and the international community that are trying to create a climate of confidence that is very important for Kosovo's future and regional security." During a short visit last week in Tirana, European Union representative Javier Solana, asked Albanian authorities to use their influence to calm the situation down in Mitrovica and Presevo Valley. Ibrahim Rugova, the main leader who won Kosovo elections, strongly condemned the killing of the Serbs, considering it "an attack against stability, peace and democracy in Kosovo, addressed against the Kosovo future." "The violence has to stop immediately because that undermines all efforts made by the Kosovo people and the international community to build a tolerant and democratic society for all citizens," said a statement issued by Rugova's office in Pristina. Democratic Party of Kosovo, the second party derived from ex-KLA members, also strongly condemned the killings, calling it a "criminal act" and urged NATO's Kosovo Force and U.N. police to find and punish the criminals, whether they are Albanians or Serbs. "We strongly condemn this criminal act and ask the legal authorities to investigate as soon as possible so that the criminals face with justice. These criminals do not have (the protection of) a nationality, they are criminals and have to be sentenced," says Fatmir Limaj, a DP leader. Seven Serbs were killed, 10 critically injured and 33 others hurt by a remote control bomb exploded when a Serb convoy crossed Kosovo border close to Podujeva Friday. This is the second violent attack against Serbs within three days in Kosovo. A KFOR spokesman said they have arrested two people in connection with the bombings, and KFOR has increased security measures to avoid clashes between Serbs and Albanians. -- Copyright 2001 by United Press International.
More information about the KCC-NEWS mailing list |