| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: KCC-NEWSNo subjectowner-kcc-news at alb-net.com owner-kcc-news at alb-net.comFri Jul 2 20:18:07 EDT 1999
[165.247.9.120]) by smtp5.mindspring.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id UAA29783 for <kcc-news at alb-net.com>; Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:04:09 -0400 (EDT) X-Sender: kcc-news at alb-net.com (Unverified) Message-Id: <v04003a04b3a302dfb92f@[165.247.8.125]> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/enriched; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 20:06:12 -0400 To: kcc-news at alb-net.com From: KCC-News <kcc-news at alb-net.com> Subject: [kcc-news] Provisional Government of Kosova and Kosovar Serb Leaders Seek End To Violence Sender: owner-kcc-news at alb-net.com Precedence: normalmail ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ! READ & DISTRIBUTE FURTHER ! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ --------------------------------------------------------------------- Kosova Crisis Center (KCC) News Network: http://www.alb-net.com --------------------------------------------------------------------- Kosovapress http://www.kosovapress.com/ Kosova Information Center http://www.kosova.com/ --------------------------------------------------------------------- -------> Want to HELP the people of Kosova?? <-------- http://www.alb-net.com/kosovahelp/ --------------------------------------------------------------------- Provisional Government of Kosova and Kosovar Serb Leaders Seek End To Violence Ý Updated 2:39 PM ET July 2, 1999 By Michael Roddy PRISHTINA, Kosova (Reuters) - Kosovar Albanian and Serb leaders negotiating for the first time since the end of NATO bombing of Yugoslavia issued a joint appeal Friday for an end to escalating violence in Kosova. "We urge all Kosova inhabitants, whether of civilian or military status, to refrain and to actively discourage others from any acts of violence against their neighbors," the statement said. "Such actions are unacceptable...those responsible will be brought to justice." The statement, signed by leaders of an Albanian rebel-led interim provisional government, the Serbian Orthodox Church and the Kosova Serb opposition Democratic Movement, also strongly condemned Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic. "Both sides condemn the crimes of the Milosevic regime in Kosova," the statement said, adding that there was no such thing as a natural hatred between the peoples of Kosova. The statement came as the result of what the United Nations special representative to Kosova, Sergio Vieira de Mello, said was an "extraordinary and emergency meeting" that he called to bring the two sides together to address the continuing arson, murder and harassment in the turbulent southern Serbian province. After talks lasting some seven hours -- five more than expected -- the two sides agreed on a joint text which Vieira de Mello said would be aired on local radio and Albanian television "repeatedly" to try to scale down the violence. Some of the flood of returning ethnic Albanian refugees have found friends and relatives murdered and their houses and businesses burned. Serbs have either left the province or are trying to carve out enclaves. The statement also said that the identities of prisoners who had been transferred to jails outside Kosova should be made public immediately and the prisoners should be returned to Kosova. Ethnic Albanians fear that an estimated 3,000 of the province's men arrested during the 11-week NATO bombing and believed to be held in Serbia could be subject to torture or be killed. In addition, the statement called for an end to the exodus of Serbs and Montenegrins, thousands of whom have left fearing revenge attacks by ethnic Albanians, saying: "Peace can only be built on justice, not on revenge." Archbishop Artemije, one of the signatories for the church, said the talks had taken longer than expected because of the upheaval in Kosova during the bombing. "After everything that happened in Kosova, especially in the last three months, and with what is going on now it was not quite easy to reach a common text," Artemije said. Hashim Thaqi, a Kosova Liberation Army (KLA) leader who is now the prime minister of a KLA-dominated provisional government, said the statement had sought to focus on Kosova's future and not to dwell on the crimes of the past. "Today we did not deal very much with the past, as you can see we spoke more about the present and the future," he said. "The fact itself that the regime of Milosevic is condemned by the people of Kosova, not only by Albanians, says quite a lot about this declaration," Thaqi said. "And this means that he not only killed Albanians but he also brought crimes and genocide against other people. Let us see that more than 80,000 Serbian people have left Kosova not under pressure of Albanians but from the fear that has been created by Milosevic." Thaqi, responding to questions after the meeting, said he thought there could be a place for Serbs in Kosova, though ethnic Albanians made up 90 percent of the population before the bombing and the Serb authority in the province has been largely dismantled. "Albanians and Serbs have always lived together in Kosova," he said. "They knew how to live together and they will know how to live again. They will have a prosperous future in Kosova but of course they will have to have an internal democratization, to fight revenge and hostilities and to come together and live together. "This is the future of both Albanians and Serbs who live together in Kosova." --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this list send a message to majordomo at alb-net.com In the body of the message include: UNSUBSCRIBE KCC-NEWS
More information about the KCC-NEWS mailing list |