| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: KCC-NEWS[kcc-news] News: Kosovo Massacre Blamed on SerbsMentor Cana mentor at alb-net.comSat Jan 23 06:05:13 EST 1999
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
! READ & DISTRIBUTE FURTHER !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kosova Crisis Center (KCC) News Network: http://www.alb-net.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The Kosova Crisis Center (KCC): http://www.alb-net.com
ARTA News Service: http://www.kohaditore.com/ARTA
Kosova Information Center(KIC): http://www.kosova.com
Radio21 (English/Albanian): http://www.radio21.net/english.htm
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kosovo Massacre Blamed on Serbs
By Dave Carpenter Associated Press Writer Friday, January 22, 1999; 10:35
a.m. EST
VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- International monitors investigating the slayings of
45 ethnic Albanians in Kosovo have concluded it was a massacre of civilians
by Serbian forces, apparently in response to rebel attacks on police.
The seven-page report by the Kosovo Verification Mission, obtained today by
The Associated Press, discloses no information to challenge the verifiers'
official account, which blames the Jan. 15 massacre on government forces.
The mission, run by the Vienna-based Organization for Security and
Cooperation in Europe, cited ``evidence of arbitrary detentions,
extra-judicial killings and the mutilation of unarmed civilians by the
security forces of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.''
The report gives a chronological account of the days leading up to and
during the period of the killings in the village of Racak, making clear that
verifiers were not present at the time residents say the slayings occurred.
Amidst an international uproar over the killings, Yugoslav authorities
denied the verifiers' account and contended the victims were rebel fighters
killed in combat and were all wearing military uniforms. They told William
Walker, an American diplomat who heads the verification mission, he had to
leave the country -- a decision that was suspended early today.
The verifiers' report says the Yugoslav army began a buildup in the area
after a ``well-prepared ambush'' by the Kosovo Liberation Army on Jan. 8
that killed three policemen in nearby Dulje.
On Jan. 15, the verifiers said they were prevented by army and police for
most of the day from entering the villages in the conflict area. Monitoring
at a distance, they saw houses burning in Racak and nearby Malopoljce and
saw army tanks and armored vehicles firing into houses near Malopoljce and
Petrova.
Verifiers managed to get into Racak in the late afternoon and said they saw
one dead Albanian civilian and five injured civilians, including a woman and
a boy suffering from gunshot wounds.
The verifiers ``also received unconfirmed reports of other deaths,'' the
report said. ``Residents of Racak claimed that men had been segregated from
women and children, and that 20 males had been arrested and taken away. The
verifiers took the details and evacuated the casualties before the onset of
darkness.''
The verifiers returned the next day to find the 45 bodies, ``several of them
mutilated'' and none wearing military uniforms, the report said.
Survivors reportedly told them Serb security forces wearing police uniforms
or black uniforms and ski masks had ``executed some residents and detained
others.'' The residents said they recognized some of the assailants as Serb
police or Serb civilians from nearby Stimlje, dressed in police uniforms.
© Copyright 1999 The Associated Press
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list send a message to majordomo at alb-net.com
In the body of the message include: UNSUBSCRIBE KCC-NEWS
More information about the KCC-NEWS mailing list |