| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: KCC-NEWS[kcc-news] HRW: RAPE OF ETHNIC ALBANIAN WOMEN IN KOSOVO TOWN OF DRAGACINMentor Cana mentor at alb-net.comWed Apr 28 22:54:49 EDT 1999
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
! READ & DISTRIBUTE FURTHER !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kosova Crisis Center (KCC) News Network: http://www.alb-net.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kosovapress http://www.kosovapress.com/
Kosova Information Center http://www.kosova.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-------> Want to HELP the people of Kosova?? <--------
http://www.alb-net.com/kosovahelp/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kosovo Human Rights Flash #31
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 28, 1999
RAPE OF ETHNIC ALBANIAN WOMEN IN KOSOVO TOWN OF DRAGACIN
(April 28, 1999) Two ethnic Albanian refugees from Kosovo told Human
Rights Watch yesterday that they had been raped by Serbian security
forces while being held captive in Kosovo. Three other rape victims from
the same village have also reported their cases to doctors in northern
Albania.
The two victims, from the village of Dragacin in the Suva Reka
municipality, gave testimony that was detailed and credible. Many
aspects of their stories were corroborated by eight other women
villagers, interviewed separately. Human Rights Watch is withholding the
names of the victims at their request to protect them from government
retaliation.
All of the women interviewed told how the police surrounded the village
of Dragacin on April 21. Most of the men fled into the mountains, but
between 200 and 300 women (including fifty women from the nearby
villages of Mujlan and Dujle (in Albanian)), as well as eleven elderly
men, stayed behind. The security forces gathered the entire group in a
field, where they searched and then separated the eleven elderly men,
including a ninety-three-year-old man named Ymer. None of the men have
been seen since, although three of the women interviewed said they later
saw one of the eleven men lying dead in a Dragacin street.
The government security forces divided the women randomly into three
private houses in the village (the houses of Shahin T., Avdi T. and
Halil T.), where they were held for three days. During this time, the
women were repeatedly threatened and harassed. One woman said that the
police held a knife to her three year-old boy, saying that they would
kill him if she didn't produce gold or money. Certain women were
compelled to cook and clean for Serb forces. Some were forced to have
sex with their captors.
The two rape victims interviewed by Human Rights Watch were held in the
same house, which was crowded with frightened women and children. Women
held in other houses described similar conditions.
One of the victims described how she was sexually abused on two
occasions, during one of which she was raped. At approximately 4 p.m. on
her second day of captivity, she was "chosen" from among a large group
of women by a man in a green camouflage uniform. The man took her to
another house and raped her, she said.
The following day another man demanded she go with him to a different
house some ten minutes' walk away. According to the woman's account, the
man did not tell her where he was taking her or why, but instead pushed
her forward with his gun when she started crying.
The house was full of members of the Serbian security forces, she told
Human Rights Watch. They asked her questions, using a mixture of
gestures and very basic words to communicate, as the woman hardly
understood Serbian. They asked her age -- twenty-three, she said --
whether she had any children, and the whereabouts of her husband. They
asked her for money. When she told them that she had none, they ordered
her to take off her clothes. She started crying and pulling out her
hair, which made the men laugh. They put on some music.
After she took off her clothes, the men approached her one by one as she
stood before them naked. She told Human Rights Watch that all of them
looked at her, then they left her alone in the room with the man she
believed to be their commander, and another officer. The commander, whom
she recognized as such because he had gold stars on his cap and he
issued orders to others, had ordered another the others around, reclined
on his back about ten feet away from where the victim and the officer
were lying on a bed. The man on the bed, who was nude, touched her
breasts but did not force her to touch him. "I kept crying all the time
and pushing his hands away," she said. "Finally he said to me, I'm not
going to do anything. The commander just stared at us."
After about ten minutes, the other soldiers returned to the room and,
still nude, the woman was forced to serve them coffee. She was then
ordered to put her clothes back on and clean up. She picked up the dirty
cups and dishes and swept the floor, she said. Then she was returned to
the house with the other women. When the others asked what had happened
to her, she refused to tell them.
The second rape victim, age twenty-nine, reported to Human Rights Watch
that the police took her away from the house where she was being held
and brought her to another house. There she was placed in a room and
forced to strip naked. One after the other, five members of the Serb
forces entered the room to look at her body, but it was only the last
man who raped her, she said. While he was assaulting her, the other
four entered the room and watched. The woman also stated that someone
had placed a walkie-talkie under the bed in the room, and that
throughout the ordeal the Serbian forces shouted at her via the walkie
talkie to scare her. In all, she was held in the room for about half an
hour.
A doctor at the camp in Kukes where the refugees from Dragacin are
currently living told Human Rights Watch that three other women had come
to him yesterday to report that they had been raped. The doctor said
that one of these women showed obvious signs of severe emotional
distress.
Other women held in the Dragacin houses told Human Rights Watch that
they had seen or heard women being taken by the Serbian forces during
their three days in captivity. One elderly woman from Mujlan said that,
on the third night, the police entered the house of Avdi T., shining a
flashlight in the faces of the women, many of whom were trying to cover
their heads with their scarves. They found one woman and said, "You
come with us." She returned approximately two hours later and, when
asked what happened, said, "Don't ask me anything."
On Saturday, April 24, all of the women in Dragacin were forced by
government forces to walk to the nearby village of Dujle, where they
were held in the local school for two days without food or water,
although no one reported further physical abuse. On April 26, they were
taken in two buses to the village of Zhur, where they were forced to
walk across the border into Albania. Human Rights Watch has received
unconfirmed reports that rapes occurred between April 24 and 26.
Witnesses' descriptions of the uniforms green camouflage and blue
camouflage indicate that the incidents described above were a joint
operation by the Serbian special police (MUP) and Yugoslav Army (VJ).
Some of the perpetrators also wore black ski masks.
***For further information about violations of human rights and
humanitarian law in Kosovo, see the Human Rights Watch website at
www.hrw.org on the "Crisis in Kosovo" page. To subscribe to Kosovo
Human Rights Flashes, send an E-mail to Donalds at hrw.org.***
For further information contact:
Holly Cartner (New York): 1-212-216-1277
Jean-Paul Marthoz (Brussels): 322-736-7838
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list send a message to majordomo at alb-net.com
In the body of the message include: UNSUBSCRIBE KCC-NEWS
More information about the KCC-NEWS mailing list |