| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: AMCC-NEWS[AMCC-News] Macedonia MPs Mull Peace Reforms, U.S. Blasts Delay (fwd)Mentor Cana mentor at alb-net.comThu Sep 20 15:51:33 EDT 2001
"The U.S. envoy to Macedonia accused [the Macedonian] political leaders Thursday of distorting last week's hijacked airliner attacks in the United States to sabotage a peace accord with minority Albanians." "James Pardew, the U.S. special envoy to Skopje, said Macedonians in a position to influence public opinion were trying to discredit the peace accord by making invidious analogies with the assaults on New York and Washington." "``Comparisons between what happened in Macedonia (the guerrilla uprising) and the events in the United States last week are completely false,'' he told Reuters in an interview." http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010920/wl/balkans_macedonia_dc_471.html Thursday September 20 12:28 PM ET Macedonia MPs Mull Peace Reforms, U.S. Blasts Delay By Mark Heinrich SKOPJE (Reuters) - The U.S. envoy to Macedonia accused political leaders Thursday of distorting last week's hijacked airliner attacks in the United States to sabotage a peace accord with minority Albanians. After two weeks of obstructions by nationalist hard-liners, parliament met for a preliminary vote on 14 constitutional amendments that would grant Albanians better civil rights mandated by the Western-brokered agreement signed in August. But momentum toward implementing the pact generated by swift handovers of weapons to NATO by Albanian guerrillas has broken down over the resistance of legislators to crucial legal changes and a gambit to submit the deal to a referendum. Parliament, whose sessions on the peace plan have been plagued by procedural chaos or canceled for lack of a quorum, decided at the last moment Thursday to put off a referendum vote until Friday and look at amendments instead. Western officials fear a referendum could pitch Macedonia back into bloodshed, given popular distaste for concessions to ''Albanian terrorists'' and the guerrillas' readiness to resume armed struggle if reforms are aborted. James Pardew, the U.S. special envoy to Skopje, said Macedonians in a position to influence public opinion were trying to discredit the peace accord by making invidious analogies with the assaults on New York and Washington. 'COMPLETELY FALSE' ``Comparisons between what happened in Macedonia (the guerrilla uprising) and the events in the United States last week are completely false,'' he told Reuters in an interview. ``I am informing the government that we object to the use of the (U.S.) tragedy ... to attempt to delay or disrupt the peace process ongoing in Macedonia,'' he said before going into talks with government leaders. ``There have been public statements about the U.S. re- evaluating its position in Macedonia based on what happened in New York and we see that as an attempt to delay or disrupt the peace process by redefining the situation here,'' he said. ``I am advising Macedonian leaders that there is no change to U.S. policy and that we stand totally behind the framework agreement and its 45-day timetable for implementation.'' The deadline is the end of this month. But the crashing of hijacked passenger planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon by suspected Islamic extremists, leaving almost 6,000 dead or missing, is turning into a serious distraction in Macedonia. Nationalists at the heart of parliamentary delays liken the attacks, which Washington has sworn to avenge by war, with ''Albanian terrorist aggression'' against Macedonia. The conflict killed about 100 people in seven months and affected about 10 percent of the former Yugoslav republic. Guerrillas of the National Liberation Army insisted they were fighting only for equal rights for Macedonia's large Albanian minority after years of futile political negotiations. Pro-government media have also run stories this week tarring the guerrillas by alleged association with the suspected mastermind of the U.S. attacks, Saudi-born Muslim radical Osama bin Laden and his Afghan-based al Qaeda group. Quoting unspecified sources, the newspapers said al Qaeda acted as the main financier of the Albanians' National Liberation Army and that it had contributed ``mujahideen'' fighters to the NLA identifiable by their beards. NATO spokesmen have spent much time at news briefings this week batting down the stories, stressing that there is no evidence of links between the NLA and bin Laden. ALBANIANS 'NOT RELIGIOUS' NLA commander in chief Ali Ahmeti also denied it in an interview with Reuters Television at his mountain headquarters. ``They are saying things like that to discredit the reasons why the NLA came into being so we will not realize our demands. I am Albanian and we do not judge things on a religious basis.'' Most Albanians are Muslims but strongly secular. More than 90 percent of Macedonian casualties in the conflict were police or soldiers. Guerrillas did not target Macedonian cultural sites, except for an Orthodox church blown up last month. Skopje and leaders of the rebellious Albanian minority signed coordinated political and military agreements aimed at defusing the Balkans' fifth ethnic conflict since 1991 and stabilizing the whole region over the long term. But many Macedonians suspect the guerrillas are hiding hardware from NATO to wage separatist war later or that they will stage violence to lure NATO troops into dividing the tiny former Yugoslav republic along an ethnic ``Green Line.'' The NLA turned in more than two thirds of its declared arsenal in the first half of NATO's 30-day disarmament mission expiring September 26. Rebels resumed the handovers Thursday after hesitating in concern over parliament's behavior. Reporters saw about 120 guerrillas queued up in pairs in the northern NLA highland bastion of Radusa to dump assault and bolt-action rifles and a Strela anti-aircraft missile launcher among other weaponry. They also surrendered a T-55 tank captured from the Macedonian army in a summer battle.
More information about the AMCC-NEWS mailing list |