| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Illyria newspaperAgron Alibali aalibali at yahoo.comFri Nov 2 14:10:34 EST 2001
Sokolrama at aol.com wrote: From Sokolrama at aol.com Fri Nov 2 11:09:02 2001 X-Apparently-To: aalibali at yahoo.com via web11506; 02 Nov 2001 11:09:11 -0800 (PST) Received: from imo-r03.mx.aol.com (152.163.225.99) by mta443.mail.yahoo.com with SMTP; 02 Nov 2001 11:09:11 -0800 (PST) Received: from Sokolrama at aol.com by imo-r03.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.8.) id r.12e.6f4d76f (4411) for ; Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:08:56 -0500 (EST) From: Sokolrama at aol.com Message-ID: <12e.6f4d76f.2914494e at aol.com> Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:09:02 EST Subject: Re: Radio Free Europe To: aalibali at yahoo.com MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Language: en X-Mailer: AOL 5.0 for Mac sub 28 Content-Length: 9250 Me poshte jane tre shkrime te numrit te fundit te Illyrias lidhur me te njejten teme. Kam perfshi edhe shkrimin origjinal te IWPR Sokoli Anti-Albanian Slurs Fill Milosevicâs Rhetoric By Sokol Rama In his third appearance before the UN Tribunal for war crimes in former Yugoslavia (ICTY), former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic dismissed the tribunalâs indictments calling it a document written at the level of "a retarded 7-year-old child." In addition, he said that the U.S. government had turned to him for help in tracking down bin Laden, who was believed to be behind the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. "The previous American administration knew that bin Laden was in Albania two years after he blew up their embassies and they discussed these facts with me and my associates," Milosevic told the ICTY judges. U.S. and Albanian authorities have repeatedly denied the ill-intended Yugoslav and Russian media reports that bin Laden ever visited the country. A statement issued by the Albanian government soon after Milosevicâs remarks said: "We turn down with disgust this vile concoction, suitable only for the person who articulated it." "War criminals and the enemies of civilization like Milosevic or bin Laden should end up in the defendant's dock and we are convinced that bin Laden will soon be held accountable alongside the 'Butcher of the Balkans' (Milosevic)," the government statement added. A staunch U.S. ally, Albania welcomed NATO bombing in 1999 that stopped Milosevic's ethnic cleansing campaign against Albanians in Kosova. It has strongly backs the ongoing United States campaign against terrorists and the countries that support them. Working closely with U.S. and Western secret services, Albania's government extradited a number of suspected Islamic extremists in 1998 â a cooperation that has been regarded as very effective and whole-hearted. "As you are aware, in the past several years the Albanian government has taken commendable and concrete steps, applauded by the international community, to identify and expel foreign Islamic extremists from its borders," Joseph Limprecht, U.S. ambassador to Tirana, told a news conference on September 21. Milosevic's claim that Bin Laden had been in Albania after the bombings of two US embassies in east Africa in 1998 clearly has not been substantiated by any other source other then his very own brother, Branislav Milosevic, a former Yugoslav ambassador to Moscow who currently has taken refuge in Russia. The former Yugoslav president obviously has an interest in linking his Albanian enemies with the alleged mastermind of the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington. In addition, Milosevic also unleashed a political tirade at the court, alleging that his trial was inciting a wave of terrorism by Albanians in southern Serbia. But his claim was rejected by Serbian Deputy Prime Minister Nebojsa Covic, who told The Associated Press that "someone misinformed him." The former Yugoslav president stands accused of responsibility for the deaths of thousands of Kosovar Albanians, the deportations of 800,000 people and sexual assault by Yugoslav army troops. Anti-Albanian Slav Propaganda Campaign Targets U.S. Peacekeepers Kosova Serbs are mystified by reports that mujahedin have set up a training camp in their village. By Nehat Islami ROPOTOVA Bogus reports of bin Laden training camps in Kosova have been made before, but the latest claim has taken the Balkan propaganda war to the borders of the absurd. In the latest round of scare-mongering, it's been alleged that the village of Ropotova, in south-east Kosova, is a focal point of the Saudi dissident's al-Qaeda network. Ropotova is, however, an ethnically-Serb village, a place where even a single mujahedin would, needless to say, stand out somewhat from the crowd. But try telling that to the Russian and Macedonian media On October 16, the Moscow-based RIA Novosti news agency, citing an unnamed correspondent in Kosova, claimed a group of some 50 Algerian and Afghan mujahedin were training at a camp in the Kamenice municipality, located in the US KFOR sector. The camp, RIA Novosti alleged, was being run by Ayman al Zawahiri, one of bin Laden's closest collaborators and employed as instructors Albanian deserters from the Yugoslav army. The trainees, the report went on, would make up terrorist units for operations in Kosova and Macedonia. Three days later, Dnevnik, a leading Macedonian newspaper, quoted "reliable sources" as confirming the RIA Novosti reports and pinpointing the location of the camp in the village of Ropotova. The reports failed to mention that Ropotova's 150 homes are all occupied by ethnic Serbs, who were mystified how anyone might imagine that their village was home to mujahedin - their sworn enemies. "What sort of mujahedin would dare to come to our village," one local told me. "Ropotova is surrounded from all sides with Serb villages." Zoran Jovanovic, a Serb municipal official from Kamenice, said, "I am in permanent contact with the Serb and Albanian locals, but have never heard from Ropotova villagers about any such camp. This is a small territory. If there was something, we would know." The claims of mujahedin activity have also been rubbished by US KFOR units patrolling the area. "The regular air and ground patrols conducted by the Russian and American troops in close cooperation with the Serb and Albanian communities in the region have not discovered such information," said KFOR spokesman Major Randy Martin. Shaip Surdulli, head of the Kamenice municipality, believes the training camp claims were circulated to create tension between Serbs and Albanians ahead of the upcoming elections; to brand Albanians "allies of the 'terrorist' Osama bin Laden" and to discredit US troops operating in Kosova. The Kamenice municipality is home to around 55,000 people, 18 per cent of whom are Serb. Kamenice town, with a population of 10,000, suffered few casualties during the 1999 war. Serbs and Albanians continue to live and work together there, in a rare example of ethnic tolerance. The municipal assembly has 11 Serb advisors on its books and 23 Serbs work in the local administration, two in senior positions. They also serve in the local police force and travel freely to their church and to a local market they share with Albanians. And, perhaps most significantly, since the end of the Kosova war, there has been no violence between the two communities. Nehat Islami is the IWPR project manager in Kosova. Three More Mass Graves Found in Serbia Another 400 or so Kosovars are still buried in a mass grave in Batajnica By Indrit Muja There are three additional mass graves on the police training grounds in Batajnica, in the suburbs of the Serbian capital Belgrade, Dragan Karleusa, a senior Serbian police officer told a press conference on October 31.The exhumation of corpses from them is supposed to begin soon, Beta news agency reported. In an interview published on November 1 in the Belgrade weekly âVremeâ, Captain Karleusa said that in addition to the 405 corpses exhumed from grave sites, another 400 or so people are still buried in the training grounds in Batajnica. According to him "Belgrade has become a city of mass graves". The post-Milosevic authorities in Serbia admit the mass graves were an attempt by the Milosevic government to hide atrocities against civilians by moving hundreds of bodies out of Kosova and burying them in Serbia. "They are most probably Albanians, and they were most probably killed as a result of criminal, not military, activity. That is why they were brought here," Capt. Karleusa told the Serbian weekly, adding that that realization was "devastating and terrible". At least three mass graves have been found in Serbia since the ouster of former President Slobodan Milosevic a year ago. All the exhumed were identified as Kosova Albanians, including three brothers Bytyci from Long Island, who were American citizens. According to Capt. Karleusa, the bodies of Kosova Albanian civilians dug out of two mass graves in Petrovo Selo in eastern Serbia have been buried in an improvised cemetery. He said that the corpses uncovered in Batajnica have been placed "in cold storage in some underground passages on the scene of the crime," because "judicial and medical procedures have not yet been completed." In an unprecedented statement for a Serbian high official, he called for those responsible for these crimes to be brought before justice. Although admitting that "Serbs as a nation, are - for the present and for the future â stained", he still tried to disassociate the killers from the formations they served into, like army, police and other units that committed these crimes in the name of his nation. --------------------------------- Do You Yahoo!? Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers. -------------- next part -------------- HTML attachment scrubbed and removed
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |