| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Euro court Cyprus verdict revives Greek-Turk rivalryGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comSun May 13 19:45:16 EDT 2001
Euro court Cyprus verdict revives Greek-Turk rivalry By Claudia Parsons ANKARA, May 11 (Reuters) - Turkish and Greek rivalry over Cyprus re-surfaced on Friday after the European Human Rights Court pronounced Turkey guilty of abuses following its 1974 invasion of the Mediterranean island. Turkish Prime Minister Bulent Ecevit said the Court erred in its Thursday verdict and said the judgment would not contribute to a settlement on the divided island. "It's clear that the European Court of Human Rights did not make a correct decision on Cyprus," Ecevit told reporters. "Cyprus's questions are not legal but political...The questions can only be solved if the two sides enter into a dialogue." The court said that Ankara had violated 14 articles of the European Human Rights Convention, including the right to life, the right to liberty and security, the right to freedom of thought and the right to freedom of expression. The decision was passed by 16 votes to one. However, Greece hailed the Court's condemnation of arch-rival Turkey and called for an enforcement of the verdict. "The decision by the European Court is of historical importance," Greek government spokesman Dimitris Reppas told reporters. "(The court) must now use all its means so that its decision can be put into force." The case was brought by the Cyprus government, which argued that the 27-year-old Turkish occupation of the northern third of the Mediterranean island had trampled on almost every article in the convention. Ecevit was prime minister in 1974 and ordered the invasion of the island after a brief, failed Greek Cypriot coup engineered by then military-ruled Greece. The island has been effectively partitioned since, but only Ankara recognises the self-declared Turkish Cypriot statelet. U.N.-sponsored talks for a settlement of the Cyprus issue stalled late last year when Turkish-Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash pulled out, saying he would not join negotiations unless he was recognised as an equal partner in the talks. Cypriot Attorney General Alecos Markides said the ruling should strengthen Cyprus's bargaining position. "We are negotiating to find proper ways within an acceptable political compromise to restore the human rights of all the people of Cyprus, Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots alike," he told Reuters on Thursday. Turkey refused to attend the Court's hearing when it opened last year and argued the Turkish Cypriot state was an independent entity. "Cyprus has two independent states," said Ecevit, who has streets named after him in northern Cyprus. "Even though many nations do not recognise this, it is a reality...The decision made by the European Court of Human Rights does not meet the realities of Cyprus." The court ruled that Ankara had deprived some 170,000 Greek Cypriot refugees of their rights by banning them from returning to their homes in the north, and deprived of the "right to life" about 1,500 people who disappeared during the invasion. Turkey should be held accountable for the actions of the northern Cypriot administration, the court said, adding that it "survived by virtue of Turkish military and other support." Ankara, which keeps around 30,000 troops on the island, has always denied accusations of rights violations. A settlement on the island is becoming more urgent as Turkey and the Republic of Cyprus aspire to join the European Union. Cyprus remains a key source of friction between NATO allies Greece and Turkey, especially since Greece is an EU member. Turkey became an official EU candidate in 1999 but has yet to begin negotiations partly due to concerns over its human rights record and the situation in Cyprus. Greece has indicated that Cyprus should be included in the next enlargement wave. But if the island is excluded because of its political problem, Greece's parliament is likely to block the entire expansion process. The court has not yet decided whether to fine Turkey and will issue a full verdict in a few months. As a signatory of the convention, Ankara must comply with the final ruling.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |