| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Bosnian protests over Serb violenceIris Pilika ipilika at hotmail.comWed May 9 12:48:05 EDT 2001
Bosnian protests over Serb violence Thousands of Bosnian Muslims have been protesting against Serb violence May 9, 2001 Web posted at: 1528 GMT SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina -- Thousands of Muslim protesters have demanded an end to harassment of returnees in Serb-held areas of Bosnia. The protests on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, which swelled to thousands, were prompted by Serb riots over the weekend which prevented groundbreaking ceremonies for two mosques. On Tuesday night demonstrators stopped outside the office of Bosnia's top international official, Wolfgang Petritsch, to highlight what they see as world indifference to their plight. Sarajevo police formed a human shield in front of Serb Orthodox churches in Sarajevo, fearing revenge attacks, but the Muslim protesters walked by, chanting: "We won't do anything, this church is also ours." On Saturday, a Serb mob threw stones at Muslim dignitaries and diplomats attending a ceremony to lay a new cornerstone for the Osman Pasa mosque, which was destroyed in the 1992-95 war, in the southeastern town of Trebinje. Stone-throwing Serb mobs torched buses in Banja Luka There were even worse scenes on Monday in the biggest Bosnian Serb town, Banja Luka, with up to 2,000 stone-throwing Serbs torching vehicles and keeping diplomats and Muslim visitors trapped for six hours. Dozens were injured in one of the biggest Serb nationalistic outbursts since the Bosnian war ended in 1995. At one point protesters stormed the police cordon and climbed atop the Islamic community centre, ripping down the flag, burning it, and hoisting the Bosnian Serb flag in its place. Dignitaries trapped included Jacques Klein, United Nations mission head, Werner Blatter, who heads the U.N. refugee agency in Bosnia; and officials from the British, Swedish and Pakistani embassies. Police said they had identified 42 suspects so far and several police officials had been dismissed. The ceremonies were part of a project of ethnic reconciliation and the return of refugees, including providing for the reconstruction of some of the more than 600 mosques blown up in Serb-held areas. The reconstruction of the mosques was ordered in 1999 by the Human Rights chamber, an international human rights commission. Bosnian Serb authorities then reluctantly issued a permit for the restoration of the Ferhadija mosque. Former Bosnian President Alija Izetbegovic predicted in an interview that if Serb violence continues, the Bosnian Serb mini-state "will cease to exist," adding that extremism "has no perspective." Yugoslav President Vojislav Kostunica told reporters during a visit to New York that he was "very concerned and unhappy with the... violence and religious intolerance in the case of Banja Luka." Some churches and mosques should not be rebuilt because they "might provoke these incidents," he said after talks with U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan. The Associated Press contributed to this report. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |