| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] ANALYSIS-Macedonian anti-insurgency tactics questionedGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comThu Mar 29 18:49:44 EST 2001
ANALYSIS-Macedonian anti-insurgency tactics questioned By Douglas Hamilton SKOPJE, March 30 (Reuters) - Macedonia's tactics for countering an ethnic Albanian insurgency came into question on Friday following cross-border shelling which killed two civilians in Kosovo, one a British journalist. The tacit observer role played by NATO peacekeepers in the latest Macedonian army operations also raised further doubts about their ability to control events on Kosovo's borders. Associated Press television producer Kerem Lawton was killed by shrapnel when shells exploded in the hilltop village of Krivenik, a mile (over one km) inside Kosovo. Baki Krasniqi, a 19-year-old Kosovo Albanian villager, also died. NATO said it would seek the facts. Macedonia denied responsibility, but said it would investigate. The rebels said NATO must know who fired the shots because it was watching. NATO Secretary General George Robertson, apparently unaware of Thursday's deaths at Krivenik, again praised the Macedonian forces for restraint. "I commend their success against armed insurgents. I commend the restraint with which they use military power against those who would use the bullet instead of the ballot box," he told reporters during a visit to Warsaw. WATCHING FOR DAYS Macedonia, a 10-year-old independent republic of just two million people, has very limited military and intelligence capabilities and its troops have no experience of counter-insurgency combat. The security forces, who have lost seven men killed in rebel landmine and sniper attacks, got NATO surveillance data to help counter the insurgency. But appeals for the assistance of alliance troops have been resolutely turned down. Last Sunday, Macedonia dismayed western powers by ignoring appeals for restraint and launching a ground offensive to drive the guerrillas out of the mountains behind the city of Tetovo, after pouring heavy fire onto suspected positions for 12 days. Although there was considerable damage to houses, reported casualties were remarkably light. Robertson, faced with a fait accompli, praised the Macedonian operation, although diplomatic sources said it had made NATO extremely nervous. After four days of tank and mortar shelling aimed at guerrilla targets around a village called Gracani, quite close to the capital, the Army on Wednesday announced another "final operation" and brought up more heavy weapons. A Macedonian police source on Thursday said the guerrillas near Gracani were still fighting, adding that "we estimate we face numbers ranging from 10 to a respectable force." "DISPROPORTIONATE" FORCE NATO has strongly criticised both Serbia and Russia in the recent past for using "disproportionate" military force against lightly-armed rebels. While casualties in Macedonia bear no comparison with Kosovo or Chechnya, the NATO allies have felt the risk increasing here of major "collateral damage" that could tip the ethnically divided republic into civil war, diplomats said. Officials at NATO headquarters earlier this week said they were unaware of the new flashpoint, although heavy detonations were audible in the capital, Skopje, where their Kosovo KFOR peace mission maintains a major rear base. Reuters reporters on Wednesday watched U.S. and Polish KFOR troops in the heights above the village of Krivenik observing the Macedonian shelling and helicopter attacks. A NATO official in Skopje denied KFOR had knowledge of it. KFOR has been strongly criticised by Serbia and Macedonia for failing to stop Kosovo Albanian extremists infiltrating their territory to start separatist conflicts. Despite worries about a possible repeat of past heavy-handed tactics, NATO recently authorised the return of Serbian troops to part of a no-go zone exploited by the guerrillas as a safe haven to help bring the situation under control. The NATO alliance leads a force of 38,000 troops in Kosovo, and it is acutely aware that they could become targets if NATO itself is seen to take sides against ethnic Albanians and their aspirations for independence.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |