| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Neighbors offer support to FYROMGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comMon Mar 26 19:18:51 EST 2001
Neighbors offer support to FYROM Encouraged by unequivocal stance of international community, Skopje strikes back at separatists Inspired by the strong support coming from the international community, the government of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia yesterday sent troops, armored personnel carriers and tanks into the hills surrounding Tetovo in its boldest action to quell separatist Albanians since their insurgency began earlier this month. At the same time, in a way not seen since the outbreak of NATO's war on Yugoslavia over Kosovo two years ago (which raised fears that the conflagration could spread) the Balkan countries hastened to ensure each other that all were working for the stability of the region. Even the Albanian government condemned its ethnic kin in FYROM and expressed support for the country's territorial integrity. In comments after attending the annual March 25 independence day parade in Athens, where some of Greece's sophisticated weaponry was on display, Prime Minister Costas Simitis said, "The Greek armed forces are a force of peace, and the EU summit in Stockholm yesterday and the day before showed that the members of the EU but also the whole world expects Greece to guarantee cooperation and peace in the region. This is what we have done and will continue to do, effectively as always." Athens has provided Skopje with armored personnel carriers and, reports said, two military transport helicopters. Greece was instrumental in having FYROM President Boris Trajkovski invited to Stockholm where he met with EU leaders before the EU issued a statement strongly supportive of Greece's small northern neighbor. Simitis met privately with Trajkovski in Stockholm. At the end of the summit on Saturday, he told reporters that Greece's and the EU's positions on the issue were the same. "We support the territorial integrity, the security, the sovereignty and the inviolability of FYROM's borders," Simitis said. "We condemn - we all condemn - the acts of violence and terrorism on the part of some Albanian groups and we recognize that these actions undermine the country's stability and create conditions for the violence to spread. We are opposed to the logic of faits accomplis. We are opposed to extremist nationalism and irredentism." But Simitis expressed support for FYROM's moderate Albanians and said that the ethnic Albanian community could be given support, such as opening an Albanian-language university in Tetovo. "When I visited Skopje a few months ago I had said that Greece is willing to provide some funds for this university to function," he said. Simitis said that the EU and the United States had shown such a firm stand "that there is no room for anyone who would like to achieve changes... and so this situation will return to normal, sooner or later." Simitis has been in contact with his Bulgarian counterpart, Ivan Kostov, since the FYROM crisis began, as well as the leadership in Skopje. On Friday, Kostov said that the two were urging all parties in FYROM's Parliament to start talks on a political solution to the problem. On Thursday, Greek Defense Minister Akis Tsochadzopoulos called on Ankara, saying that the region's peoples depended on Greece and Turkey to help stabilize the region. Just as the Turkish and Greek earthquakes of 1999 had helped break the ice between the two nations, so should the current Balkan "earthquake" lead to stronger ties, Tsochadzopoulos argued. On Friday, Turkish Prime Minister Bulent Ecevit wrote to US President George W. Bush, NATO Secretary-General George Robertson and the prime ministers of FYROM, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, Yugoslavia and Greece. He condemned the separatists and called on the international community to "act with determination to overcome as soon as possible this crisis which can have negative effects on the security and stability of the region." On Saturday, Tsochadzopoulos paid a quick visit to Plovdiv, Bulgaria, for talks with his Bulgarian counterpart, Boiko Noev, to discuss the developments in FYROM and preparations for a meeting of Balkan defense ministers in Skopje on April 5. Balkan peace force to debut? Greece has suggested that the nascent southeastern European military force aimed at achieving stability in the region could be called on to help ease the tension in the Balkans. In a brief visit Saturday to the Bulgarian city of Plovdiv, the headquarters of the brigade, Defense Minister Akis Tsochadzopoulos suggested that an upcoming meeting of Balkan defense ministers, slated for Skopje on April 5, should also include the defense ministers of the United States and Italy, whose countries are part of the brigade. Other participants are Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria, Albania, FYROM and Romania. "Everyone must realize that we all have an obligation and the right to build a peaceful southeastern Europe that will be based on the principles of democracy and freedom," Tsochadzopoulos said after returning from Bulgaria. "There is the possibility of including the brigade in the Kosovo region, but there are other ideas as well," he said. The brigade has been ready operationally since the beginning of the year.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |