| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] NATO to step up Kosovo, Macedonia border patrolsGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comThu Mar 22 00:36:30 EST 2001
NATO to step up Kosovo, Macedonia border patrols By Ian Geoghegan BRUSSELS, March 21 (Reuters) - NATO said on Wednesday it would send more reinforcements to southern Kosovo to help cut off ethnic Albanian rebel supply routes across the border into Macedonia. The alliance had already announced on Monday that it was boosting its troops in the area. Now it will further increase its presence in the mountainous and forested border country as tensions continue to escalate. Alliance ambassadors, meeting at NATO headquarters in Brussels, approved a package of measures to try to stabilise the southern Balkans and give international backing to Macedonia's multi-ethnic government. Guerrilas have launched attacks against Macedonian forces to win more rights for the country's ethnic Albanians who they say are treated as second class citizens. Alliance Secretary-General George Robertson said in a statement that NATO-led KFOR peacekeepers had been reinforced since the attacks began and had increased patrolling to "improve our ability to detect, disrupt and deter any flow of men and material from Kosovo to...Macedonia." "A further review has shown such activities can be further increased and more troops will now be sent to the border area," he said. The rebels have used Kosovo as a rear supply base, but NATO has started making good on promises to cut that route off. Men and mules carrying weapons were stopped on Tuesday night, a U.S. military spokeswoman said. Peacekeepers seized two AK-47 rifles, three machineguns, three bolt-action rifles, a sniper rifle, four land mines, a rocket-propelled grenade, 12 mortar bombs and ammunition. In Brussels, NATO reiterated its condemnation of attacks by "extremist groups" and ruled out any prospect of redrawing the regional map to alter boundaries. KFOR SEVERELY STRETCHED NATO ambassadors meeting as the North Atlantic Council also endorsed the need for further troops for KFOR, whose 42,000 soldiers in Kosovo are "severely stretched." Britain's Guardian newspaper reported on Wednesday that NATO members had failed to heed a call for additions to that number, effectively forcing NATO to redeploy its existing resources. NATO has declined to detail how many troops will be moved from elsewhere in the region. Other measures approved by the council were: -- strengthened NATO co-operation with Skopje government, -- improved military co-ordination and exchange of military information, -- NATO to send a senior representative, Ambassador Hans-Joerg Eiff, to Skopje to boost its existing Liaison Office, -- boost the military liaison team at the defence ministry in Skopje, to be run by a senior NATO military officer, and -- call for direct bilateral assistance by NATO allies to Macedonia, and co-ordinate efforts in Brussels and in Skopje. Robertson said he was confident these measures, backed by the European Union, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe and the United Nations, would have a significant impact on the security situation. "What is needed now is restraint and cool judgment," he said. "Ultimately, the solution to problems in the area can only be found through political means. We are determined that the men of violence will not succeed."
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |