| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Rebels say Kosovo ceasefire agreedIris Pilika ipilika at hotmail.comMon Mar 12 15:40:16 EST 2001
Rebels say Kosovo ceasefire agreed March 12, 2001 Web posted at: 1555 GMT MERDARE, Yugoslavia -- Ethnic Albanian rebels say they have agreed a ceasefire in a tense area on the Kosovo border. The Liberation Army of Presevo, Bujanovac and Medvedja said the temporary agreement was signed on Monday afternoon. Sejdullah Kadriu, political representative of the group, said it would last until March 19 and was signed in the presence of NATO representative Peter Feith, Reuters news agency said. The ceasefire came as a plan which will see Serb forces take control of the Presevo Valley area at the centre of the negotiations was agreed between NATO and Yugoslavia. There was no immediate word on any ceasefire by representatives of the Serbian government, which says the rebels are "terrorists." Feith has been shuttling between the two sides for the past few days. NATO says Yugoslav troops in the Presevo Valley buffer zone would not be allowed to use armoured personnel carriers in the area, in which ethnic Albanian rebels have launched attacks. Yugoslavia said the condition made it risky to deploy its army and police, who have lost 17 men killed in the past year. It said NATO-led KFOR troops regularly travel in bullet-and-grenade proof vehicles. Meanwhile, Russia's Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov has announced that he will visit Yugoslavia and Macedonia from March 18-20 to try to help defuse tensions in the region. Violence in the area has spread out of Kosovo into Serbia proper and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Ivanov will visit Yugoslavia's capital Belgrade, Kosovo and Macedonia during his visit which Russia's ITAR-Tass news agency says is being made at the request of President Vladimir Putin. Russia has criticised ethnic Albanian rebels over recent violence on the border with Macedonia, which had previously avoided the bloodshed of its neighbours. The Presevo Valley rebels, numbering several hundreds, are armed with automatic weapons, heavy machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars. In the first stage of a "phased and conditioned" return to a no-go border zone imposed by NATO in 1999, a number of Yugoslav Army frontier guards and Serbian Interior Ministry police will enter a square of Serbian land five km (three miles) long by five km wide where the valley meets the Macedonian border. NATO has said a ceasefire would be an important but not imperative condition for the operation. General Carlo Cabigiosu, commander of KFOR, announced an accord with Yugoslav officials in the border village of Merdare on Monday to let Serb forces back into the 25 square km area "in the next few days." Cabigiosu told the Corriere della Sera newspaper: "There are both military and ethical limits. "However, we have demanded that they do not occupy houses, do not enter villages, do not receive backing from armoured cars or use rocket launchers and anti-tank weapons. "On the other hand, we have allowed them to use mortars and they will also be allowed to intervene, in coordination with our command, with artillery from behind their lines. Finally, there will be no helicopters and above all no mines." But former Yugoslav Army commander Momcilo Perisic, now Serbian deputy premier, said: "The Yugoslav Army will be in great danger since it is not allowed to enter the area with heavy arms and armoured cars. "I do not understand why the international community has not allowed this since its own troops in Kosovo are all in armoured cars." The Associated Press & Reuters contributed to this report. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |