| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Albanians Attack Macedonian ForcesGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comSun Mar 11 10:50:41 EST 2001
Albanians Attack Macedonian Forces By GEORGE JAHN SKOPJE, Macedonia (AP) - Ethnic Albanian rebels attacked Macedonian forces near a northern village Friday, trapping senior government officials for hours, despite U.S. moves to cut the flow of supplies to the insurgents from Kosovo. About seven miles to the northeast, ethnic Albanian gunmen in the Presevo Valley of Yugoslavia's main republic Serbia launched a strong attack against Serb police, killing one officer and wounding two others, Serb officials said. Five Serb civilians were missing from the area and feared kidnapped by the rebels, Serb police said. Attacks by ethnic Albanian insurgents in Macedonia and southern Serbia - just beyond Kosovo's borders - have raised fears of a new Balkan conflict. Macedonia closed its border with Kosovo on Friday for security reasons, allowing only foreign diplomats and international organizations to pass. Most supplies for Kosovo's civilians and international peacekeepers enter the province from Macedonia. The fighting in northern Macedonia started late Thursday when insurgents ambushed a government convoy in the village of Brest, killing a driver. Shooting continued Friday, trapping up to 100 officials in the convoy - including the country's deputy interior minister, police sources said. Macedonian police evacuated the people in the convoy later in the day, police spokesman Stevo Pendarovski said. The rebels were among those who cleared the hamlet of Tanusevci, on the Kosovo border, early Thursday, Pendarovski said. The attackers later ``were joined by new forces from an unidentified area of Kosovo.'' After the rebels left, U.S. peacekeepers took over Tanusevci and promised to prevent Kosovo from becoming a safe haven for insurgents. If Pendarovski's account is accurate, it would show the difficulty faced by U.S. and other NATO-led peacekeepers in trying to seal the mountainous, forested border. The American move into the border region was the most robust response so far by the NATO-led peacekeeping force to ethnic Albanian rebel activity that is spreading from Kosovo to other nearby Albanian-speaking areas. Additionally, NATO agreed Thursday to allow Yugoslav troops to take up positions in the southern part of a buffer zone around Kosovo to curb ethnic Albanian smuggling from Macedonia into the Presevo Valley. It's an area where the borders of Macedonia, Kosovo and the rest of Serbia meet. Serb officials said Friday's attack in the Presevo Valley occurred in the village of Lucane - half of which is controlled by Serb forces, the other half by ethnic Albanian fighters. Fighting was continuing Friday afternoon. The unrest around Kosovo's borders has raised concern about the stability of Macedonia, an impoverished, landlocked country of 2 million people - 25 percent of them ethnic Albanians. Greece announced Friday it would send military aid - including five trucks, radios, medical supplies and bulletproof vests - to its northern neighbor. Bulgaria dispatched a 10-truck convoy of military supplies to Macedonia on Thursday, and Bulgarian Prime Minister Ivan Kostov arrived for a two-day visit to show solidarity with the Macedonians. In Washington, NATO Secretary General Lord Robertson expressed confidence that Kosovo peacekeepers can put an end to attacks by ethnic Albanian rebels along the border with Macedonia. ``Their robust presence, I believe, is having an effect on those people who use that whole border area - ill-defined as it is, heavily mined as it is - as a sort of adventure playground for violence,'' Robertson said Thursday at a news conference with Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld. Moves to strengthen border security and allow Yugoslav troops into the buffer zone represent a major change in the mission of NATO-led peacekeepers, who entered Kosovo in June 1999 after a 78-day NATO bombing campaign to force then-Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic to halt his crackdown on Kosovo Albanian separatists. At first, NATO's mission was to protect the province's ethnic Albanian population. With rebel activity spreading, the alliance now faces the task of curbing ethnic Albanian militants - a move which could put them in conflict with the province's overwhelmingly Albanian majority.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |