| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] NATO Soldiers Fire on Kosovo AlbaniansGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comThu Mar 8 21:47:01 EST 2001
NATO Soldiers Fire on Kosovo Albanians By CARLOTTA GALL BELGRADE, Serbia, March 7 (Reuters) NATO soldiers in Kosovo opened fire and wounded two Albanian gunmen today, raising the prospect that the peacekeeping force could become tangled in a violent Albanian insurgency that has suddenly flared in neighboring Macedonia. American peacekeepers were in command of the 250-member multinational force that moved into the Kosovo village of Mijak at dawn in a operation to stem the flow of arms and men to Albanian guerrillas in Macedonia, the former Yugoslav republic to the south. The clash that followed was one of the strongest indications yet of the growing complications of the peacekeeping mission. The NATO-led peacekeepers already have their hands full trying to seal off Kosovo's eastern border with the rest of Serbia, where Albanian rebels have used a three-mile wide buffer zone to attack Yugoslav forces. Three Yugoslav soldiers were killed and another wounded in that area today when their vehicle ran over a mine. In Mijak, the peacekeeping unit, which included soldiers from Poland, Ukraine and Lithuania, came across a group of five armed Albanians who turned their guns toward the peacekeepers and advanced, American military officials said. Seeing a provocation, the troops opened fire. The peacekeepers wounded two of the gunmen, one of whom was evacuated to the American military base in Kosovo, Camp Bondsteel. The rest of the gunmen retreated with the other wounded man to a nearby house, where peacekeepers were negotiating with them to surrender, Col. Thomas M. Gross, commander of the unit, told a news conference, Reuters reported. In the last week, hundreds of peacekeeping troops in the American sector of southeastern Kosovo have moved toward the border to step up their patrols after the Macedonian government complained that the peacekeeping force was not preventing men and weapons from moving across the border and had allowed Albanian militants to begin an insurgency in Macedonia. Over the last two weeks, clashes have erupted in Macedonia around the village of Tanusevci between ethnic Albanians and Macedonian military forces. Three Macedonian soldiers have been killed and at least two Albanians in firefights and a mine blast. Today's peacekeeping operation in Mijak was an effort to demonstrate to armed Albanian groups in the area that they would not be tolerated, said a peacekeeping spokesman in Pristina, the Kosovo capital. In southern Serbia, hoping to persuade armed Albanians to lay down their arms, Yugoslav and Serbian officials are working on a peace package with Albanians living in the Presevo valley, near where the mine exploded today. The blast occurred near the village of Oraovica, and was the second such attack in two weeks, said Biserka Matic, a Serbian government official. The Yugoslav peace package would offer democratic reforms and greater Albanian participation in local government, while allowing Yugoslav Army and police special forces to move back into the buffer zone. Under the military agreement signed at the end of NATO's war with Yugoslavia, only lightly armed police have been allowed within three miles of the border with Kosovo. Nebojsa Covic, the Serbian deputy prime minister negotiating the plan, said he hoped to reach a cease-fire with Albanian leaders by the end of the week, yet the violence has shown no sign of abating. He has also said that Yugoslav troops could return to the buffer zone soon after, but Western diplomats say it will only be possible for them to return to areas that are not occupied by rebels. As negotiations with NATO officials stand, a stretch of 58 miles now under control of Albanian rebels will remain so, at least for now. If there is an agreement with the Albanians, then Yugoslav forces could move into areas north of that stretch that are not in dispute. NATO is considering a plan to allow Yugoslav Army forces into the southernmost tip of the buffer zone, where it borders Macedonia, the NATO secretary general, George Robertson, said on Tuesday. The area, where the Kosovo, Macedonia and Serbian borders meet, is strategically important and could enable the rebel groups both in Serbia and in Macedonia to join forces. There are Albanian villages in the area and a significant number of armed Albanians, and the Yugoslav Army would have to use force to secure control of the area, Western observers here say.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |