| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Peacekeepers Wound Gunmen, West Seeks Balkan StrategyGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comWed Mar 7 09:58:56 EST 2001
Peacekeepers Wound Gunmen, West Seeks Balkan Strategy SKOPJE, Macedonia (Reuters) - U.S. peacekeeping troops wounded two gunmen on the Kosovo-Macedonia border Wednesday as Western powers sought an effective strategy to contain new turmoil in the Balkan flashpoint. NATO's 19 permanent ambassadors were meeting without Secretary-General George Robertson, who was due to hold talks with the Bush administration in Washington later Wednesday. Both gatherings were expected to seek ways to stop the export of armed Albanian separatists to southern Serbia and Macedonia via ``safe havens'' inadvertently created by NATO's own Kosovo buffer force. ``This morning Multinational Brigade East soldiers injured two armed males after brief exchange of gunfire near the village of Mijak in Kosovo. No KFOR soldiers were injured,'' KFOR spokesman Richard Heffer told reporters in the Kosovo capital. KFOR did not give the gunmen's ethnicity. It was the first engagement between KFOR and gunmen since peacekeepers started reinforcing the border following clashes between guerrillas in the hamlet of Tanusevci on the Macedonian side and Macedonia's own security forces. ``The incident occurred around 9 a.m. when KFOR U.S. soldiers identified a group of five armed men leaving a building in outskirts of the village,'' Heffer said. One of the injured was detained while the other, together with the rest of the group, escaped to the Macedonian side, in the direction of Tanusevci, he said. A U.S. military spokesman later said two gunmen were held by KFOR. MACEDONIA EXPECTS NEW ATTACKS In the Macedonian capital, a defense ministry spokesman, speaking shortly before the news of the clash, said the government expected further attacks. He said there had been no skirmishes overnight, but that security forces had seen armed groups moving on the Kosovo side of the border, away from Tanusevci. Asked whether Skopje expected an offensive, the spokesman said: ``Offensive is a strong word, but we have strong indications that provocations like the one in Tanusevci and with the same intensity will happen in other places on the northern border.'' Macedonia, where ethnic Albanians are about one third of the two million population, has escaped 10 years of Balkan conflict in Croatia and Bosnia and, more recently, southern Serbia. The latest incursion has raised fears that violence in Kosovo and Serbia's Presevo valley where Albanian guerrillas have confronted lightly armed Serbian police for over a year, could spread across the Balkan peninsula. The main problem, diplomats say, is how to prevent ethnic Albanian guerrillas from moving and operating freely across the unmarked mountain borders between Kosovo and Macedonia and Kosovo and southern Serbia. NATO's Robertson said at the United Nations Tuesday that the alliance was considering allowing Yugoslav soldiers into a buffer zone that runs around the outside of Kosovo's boundary with the rest of Yugoslavia, and touches the Macedonian border. The zone was set up after the conflict in Kosovo in 1999. Hashim Thaci, one of the top political leaders in Kosovo, angrily rejected the proposal, calling it ``dangerous.'' Kole Berisha, vice president of the Democratic League of Kosovo party, said the proposed role could not be entrusted to an army associated in the eyes of Kosovo's ethnic Albanian majority with massacres of their community. Installing the Serb-led Yugoslav army in that area would be a ``provocation, making possible an open conflict that would include the entire region.'' Menduh Thaci, deputy leader of the biggest Albanian political party in Macedonia, suggested that the predominantly ethnic Albanian Kosovo Protection Corps should be allowed to patrol the Kosovo side of its border with Macedonia along KFOR. U.S. peacekeepers have reinforced the Kosovo side of the border with Macedonia and say most of the gunmen seen leaving Tanusevci had not crossed into Kosovo. An ethnic Albanian who belongs to a shadowy group calling itself the National Liberation Army which has emerged recently in Macedonia, was buried in the presence of thousands of people in the Decani municipality in western Kosovo Tuesday, local newspapers said Wednesday. The papers said he had been wounded near Tanusevci, taken to a Kosovo hospital and died there. Western officials had been urging restraint on Skopje. But Sunday, after three Macedonian soldiers were killed in the border area, they said they would understand if the Macedonian government took military action. Skopje has been reluctant to use serious force so as not to raise tensions within its own ethnic Albanian population. Tuesday, President Boris Trajkovski appeared to harden Macedonia's stance. ``I can assure you that not an inch of Macedonian territory will be given to extremists,'' he said. ``We have enough force to deal with terrorism but every assistance from the international community is welcome.'' Bulgarian Prime Minister Ivan Kostov said Sofia would send military supplies to neighboring Macedonia but not troops. ``We clearly state that we do not accept the terrorist activity in the region of Tanusevci as it undermines efforts for finding a lasting peaceful solution to the whole knot of problems in Kosovo,'' Kostov told parliament.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |