| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Kosovo Albanian leaders blast NATO buffer zone planGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comWed Mar 7 09:27:03 EST 2001
Kosovo Albanian leaders blast NATO buffer zone plan By Shaban Buza PRISTINA, Yugoslavia, March 7 (Reuters) - Kosovo Albanian leaders criticised on Wednesday a NATO proposal to let Serbian forces into a buffer zone next to the province, saying it could spark fresh violence in the Balkans. NATO Secretary-General George Robertson said on Tuesday the alliance was considering letting Yugoslav forces into a pocket of land in Serbia close to borders with Kosovo and Macedonia. Robertson suggested this may help stop ethnic Albanian militants taking advantage of the buffer zone around Kosovo to carry out attacks in southern Serbia and in Macedonia, the focus of international concern after a recent series of armed clashes. But Kole Berisha, vice president of the Democratic League of Kosovo party, said the proposed role could not be entrusted to an army associated in the eyes of Kosovo's ethnic Albanian majority with massacres of members of their community. "The army which until recently committed massacres in Kosovo cannot return to Kosovo or to a part of the Kosovo-Macedonian border, especially not to the triangle between Kosovo, Macedonia and Serbia," Berisha said. He said installing the Serbian-led Yugoslav army in that area would be a "provocation, making possible an open conflict that would include the entire region." The area is just a small part of the buffer zone set up to keep Yugoslav forces a safe distance away from the province when NATO peacekeepers deployed there in 1999 and Slobodan Milosevic was in power in Belgrade. The zone has been exploited by ethnic Albanian guerrillas, who have launched repeated attacks on Serbian security forces in southern Serbia's Presevo Valley in the past year. Similar violence has now also erupted on the Macedonian border. Hashim Thaci, head of a major Kosovo Albanian party and a former commander in the Kosovo Liberation Army which fought Serbian rule, said the NATO proposal was no way to reduce tensions. "It is a rash and dangerous undertaking for the situation in the region, and incompatible with the current circumstances in Kosovo," said Thaci, leader of the Democratic Party of Kosovo. "Kosovo's borders do not need to be protected by those who killed Kosovars." NATO, anxious to bolster the reformers in Serbia who replaced Milosevic last year, has been talking increasingly about dismantling the zone or allowing in army and special police units which are currently banned. The flare-up in Macedonia appears to have nudged the alliance another step in that direction and Robertson, speaking at the United Nations, said a decision could be made this week. Another Kosovo party, the Alliance for the Future of Kosovo, said it feared the proposal, if implemented, would "be taken as a signal by Yugoslav forces to take repressive action" against the ethnic Albanian population in southern Serbia.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |