| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Milosevic Still a HeadacheGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comMon Mar 5 09:12:46 EST 2001
Milosevic Still a Headache BELGRADE, Yugoslavia (AP) -- Once united in their desire to unseat Slobodan Milosevic, Yugoslavia's pro-democracy leaders are now divided on when, how and even if their deposed president should be made to answer for his ruinous rule. President Vojislav Kostunica is urging caution. He argues that a hasty court trial could spark a backlash. Other leaders would like to see justice done more quickly -- Nenad Canak, a leading member of the 18-party alliance backing the new government, has accused Kostunica of stalling proceedings against Milosevic and other key figures. ``Milosevic ought to be tried for something that even The Hague (U.N. Tribunal) does not charge him with ... grand treason, punishable by the death penalty,'' Canak said in comments published Sunday in the daily Blic newspaper, adding the former president was responsible for turning Yugoslavia into a pariah country during his 13-year tenure. The demands for action come as other countries call for Yugoslavia to arrest and extradite Milosevic to the U.N. War Crimes Tribunal. The Netherlands-based court has charged him with alleged atrocities committed in the war in Kosovo, a province of Serbia, Yugoslavia's main republic. Serbia's justice minister, Vladan Batic, is among the backers of extradition, warning that the international community wants ``serious cooperation.'' On the other end of the scale is Zoran Zizic, the Yugoslav prime minister. Zizic, whose Montenegrin Socialists used to be allied with Milosevic, still refuses to completely abandon him nearly five months after a popular uprising forced Milosevic to acknowledge losing elections. Zizic pledged last month that Milosevic would not be extradited while he was still in office. Aid worth $100 million is under threat if the new administration does not begin to cooperate with the U.N. Court by March 31. The money has been earmarked by the U.S. Congress to help restore Yugoslavia's ruined economy and infrastructure. Divergent signals reflect the leadership split on Milosevic. Foreign Minister Goran Svilanovic on Saturday called cooperation with the Hague Tribunal a ``top priority ... so that we can continue a normal communication with U.S. government and EU.'' But this week, Kostunica warned against what he described as ``revolutionary justice,'' saying that anything that could help the cause of Milosevic supporters should be avoided. Some 50 die-hards have been demonstrating since Thursday in the street of the former leader's residence, promising to protect him ``with all means.'' With Milosevic covering his tracks while in office, evidence of serious wrongdoing is hard to find. Interior Minister Dusan Mihajlovic says the only concrete evidence against him so far concerns an illegal real estate transaction. That, and a police investigation into reports that Milosevic moved millions of dollars worth of gold to Switzerland and then stashed the proceeds in Greek and Cypriot bank accounts, seem the strongest leads that judicial authorities have for now. Carla Del Ponte, the chief U.N. tribunal prosecutor argues there's no need for delay, suggesting her court has more than enough to try Milosevic on war crimes. ``If the courts in Yugoslavia are not ready, we are,'' she said recently. Such haste, however, is rejected by the Kostunica camp, which says it needs time to build a case against Milosevic at home. ``Our judiciary are not worried so much about what Carla Del Ponte thinks, but what citizens of this country think,'' Kostunica's advisor, Predrag Simic, told Blic on Sunday.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |