| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Macedonia shuts Kosovo border after soldiers killedGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comSun Mar 4 13:57:10 EST 2001
Macedonia shuts Kosovo border after soldiers killed By Philippa Fletcher SKOPJE, March 4 (Reuters) - Macedonia closed its border with Kosovo and held crisis talks with NATO and U.N. officials from the Serbian province after three Macedonian soldiers were killed in guerrilla attacks close to the frontier on Sunday. In a clear change of line by Western officials, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe said it would "understand" any armed action by Macedonia against ethnic Albanian fighters operating in a border village on Macedonian territory. NATO-led peacekeepers had previously urged the government of multi-ethnic Macedonia not to respond with force, fearing violence could spread. About one third of the former Yugoslav republic's population is ethnic Albanian, culturally close to the Albanian majority across the border in Kosovo. OSCE Ambassador Carlo Ungaro said Macedonia's security was clearly being threatened but that he hoped any action would be taken in cooperation with KFOR, the NATO-led peacekeeping force in neighbouring Kosovo. "We appreciate the restraint shown by Macedonia's army and police to two weeks of provocation," he said by telephone. "After today's turn of events we will understand and support a reasonable military response by the army and police to try to control the situation." An OSCE statement issued later said a joint OSCE, European Union Monitoring Mission, UN refugee agency and British embassy patrol had encountered a Macedonian army vehicle on Sunday morning which had just hit a landmine. "One soldier was killed; a second succumbed later due to severe injuries," the statement said. A police source said a third soldier had died after being shot by a sniper. SHELLING SEEN U.S. troops have stepped up their monitoring of the other side of the border in Kosovo since a firefight between the guerrillas and Macedonian security forces near the border village of Tanusevci a week ago. "We observed shelling and weapon fire between 11 and 11.30 a.m. (1000-1030 GMT) this morning," U.S. Captain Marcus Evans told Reuters on Sunday in the Kosovo village of Debelde. Two KFOR helicopters and a pilotless reconaissance plane flew over the area. A villager in Debelde said an ethnic Albanian in Tanusevci was injured in an exchange of fire on Sunday morning. Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski met KFOR commander Carlo Cabigiosu and Hans Haekkerup, head of the U.N. Mission in Kosovo, travelled to the Macedonian capital on Sunday to discuss the next move. KFOR said it would issue a statement after the talks. Macedonia has rung the alarm bells over the past few days, calling for international help to deal with violence it says threatens its own fragile ethnic balance and Europe as a whole. Diplomats say KFOR has only a back-up logistical mission in Macedonia which is not authorised to take any military action. (Additional reporting by Shaban Buza in Debelde and Elizaveta Konstantinova in Skopje)
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |