| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Two Killed on Macedonian BorderGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comSun Mar 4 13:55:01 EST 2001
Two Killed on Macedonian Border By KONSTANTIN TESTORIDES SKOPJE, Macedonia (AP) - An ethnic Albanian rebellion in Macedonia intensified Sunday, with police saying government troops were battling hundreds of guerrillas in two border villages and on rugged mountain slopes. Three Macedonian army soldiers were killed, including two whose vehicle hit a land mine near the village of Tanusevci, a stronghold of the insurgents 20 miles north of the capital, Skopje. The third died within hours at a nearby location, hit by sniper fire. Despite international and Macedonian efforts to contain the violence, the fighting has spread to the village of Malina, just east of Tanusevci, and to nearby Mt. Kodra Pura, according to a police officer who spoke on condition of anonymity. About 200 rebels were battling government troops, he said. Macedonian police closed down both border crossings to Kosovo, a province of Serbia, Yugoslavia's largest republic. ``It's a real war,'' said Hamdi Hasani, mayor of the Kosovo border village of Debele, very near Tanusevci. He said sporadic exchanges of gunfire increased by late morning into prolonged firefights. He said heavy weapons were being used, with some rounds falling inside Kosovo. The latest upsurge of fighting around Kosovo has raised fears of another major crisis that could threaten the whole region, less than two years after NATO and the United Nations moved into Kosovo. The fighting could be an attempt to provoke Macedonian troops into a massive response that would potentially claim innocent lives of ethnic Albanian villagers in the region. The guerrillas might be hoping that could radicalize Macedonia's ethnic Albanians, who make up nearly 25 percent of the over population of two million and help their cause. Urging government restraint, the Skopje-based mission of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, expressed the hope that ``the inevitable and justified response to this provocation will be adequate and not excessive and possibly coordinated'' with the NATO-led peacekeeping force in Kosovo. Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski held an emergency meeting with defense officials and several ambassadors of NATO countries. The president's office said U.S. Ambassador Michael Eikin and Mark Dickenson, his British counterpart, were among those attending. Sporadic gunfire and shelling - mortar or artillery rounds - started shortly before noon, according to Capt. Marcus Evans, an American member of the NATO-led Kosovo peacekeeping force who was observing the fighting from Debele. A dozen U.S. Army humvees crowding Debele streets attested to the increased American observer presence in the village. Watching from the air were two Blackhawk helicopters, along with an unmanned drone spy plane. Two plumes of smoke could be seen from Debele rising from Tanusevci. ``We are bracing ourselves for a new flood of refugees,'' said Hasani, the Debele mayor, alluding to the spread of fighting to the second village. Hundreds of ethnic Albanians from the Tanusevci region fled over to Kosovo last week, when violence first intensified. Ethnic Albanian insurgents have launched twin offensives south of Kosovo into Macedonia, and east of Kosovo into a buffer zone with Serbia. The two conflicts both appear to be sparked by insurgents in heavily ethnic Albanian areas in apparent hopes of joining the areas with Kosovo as part their ultimate goal of independence. Fighters in both conflicts are thought to be aided from Kosovo. Reflecting that three-way linkage, Kosovo's NATO and United Nations heads - Lt. Gen. Carlo Cabigiosu and Hans Haekkerup - arrived in Skopje and went into an emergency meeting with top government officials.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |