| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] UN War Crimes Court Expects Milosevic by Year - EndGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comFri Mar 2 17:00:15 EST 2001
UN War Crimes Court Expects Milosevic by Year - End AMSTERDAM, March 2 (Reuters) - The U.N. war crimes tribunal in the Hague is expecting former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic to appear before it by the end of the year, its deputy prosecutor said on Friday. Before that the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia predicts that the first indicted criminals from Serbia will be handed over to the Hague-based court. ``He (Milosevic) needs to be subjected to the jurisdiction of this Tribunal,'' Deputy Prosecutor Graham Blewitt told the Dutch current affairs program 'Netwerk'. ``It is not going to happen immediately but there are good chances...I hope during the course of this year.'' Blewitt said there were indications that Serbia's new reformist government headed by President Vojislav Kostunica was prepared to work with the Tribunal. ``We will give them the benefit of the doubt for a short period of time...We would expect some substantial movement by the end of this month,'' Blewitt said. ``We will probably get some persons who are indicted and are living in Serbia...It would be the first time Serbia surrendered anyone to the Tribunal.'' He noted a turnaround in Serbian public opinion, with half the Serb population wanting Milosevic to face charges in the Hague. ``There is a realization among the Serb people that Milosevic has done them a lot of harm. He has committed crimes in their name,'' Blewitt said. He said he was also hopeful that wartime Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, who has been indicted by the Hague tribunal but is still at large, would also appear before the tribunal eventually. As each day goes by, we get closer to the day that Karadzic and Milosevic are before this Tribunal. That day will happen.'' Serbia's justice authorities, purged of Milosevic's allies, appear to be closing in on the former president, having recently launched probes into his financial affairs and arrested his secret police chief on suspicion of multiple murder. But most reform leaders have so far opposed handing Milosevic over to the tribunal. They argue he should first face justice at home, and probably on corruption charges first. Prosecutors are preparing to charge Milosevic with giving false information about his assets when he bought a house in Belgrade in 1999, according to political and judicial sources.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |