| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Serbian leader sees south Serbia ceasefire soonGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comFri Mar 2 16:49:23 EST 2001
Serbian leader sees south Serbia ceasefire soon BUJANOVAC, Yugoslavia, March 2 (Reuters) - A Serbian leader voiced optimism on Friday that fighting with ethnic Albanian guerrillas in the volatile Presevo Valley area bordering Kosovo would soon cease. Serbian Deputy Prime Minister Nebojsa Covic, speaking after meeting NATO officials in the town of Bujanovac, said he believed talks with ethnic Albanian representatives would get under way in the near future. He said the NATO delegation had accepted virtually all Belgrade had asked for in its plan to peacefully resolve the crisis in the remote area, where Serbian forces have clashed repeatedly with the guerrillas over the last year. "I believe we will soon start a dialogue with representatives of the Albanian community and that the time will come soon when we will find that both sides have ceased fire," he told reporters. Such a ceasefire must be respected in order to implement Belgrade's peace plan, which foresees demilitarisation of the area and the increased presence of ethnic Albanian in local institutions, he said. Pieter Feith, director of NATO's Balkans Task Force, said he was encouraged by what had been achieved so far. He said he had also met ethnic Albanian representatives earlier in the day. "I think that by tomorrow we can look with confidence towards a new step in trying to resolve the problems in southern Serbia," Feith told reporters, saying he would meet Yugoslav Foreign Minister Goran Svilanovic in Belgrade on Saturday. WEST ALARMED About 30 people have died in the fighting just east of U.N.-ruled Kosovo since it began in early 2000, alarming Western governments hoping for regional stability following the downfall of Slobodan Milosevic as Yugoslav president last October. The rebels have gained in strength since then, taking advantage of a five km (three mile) wide buffer zone next to the Kosovo boundary from which the Yugoslav army and Serb special police are banned. Belgrade wants this strip of land to be narrowed or abolished altogether to allow it to retake control of the zone. NATO foreign ministers meeting in Brussels earlier this week said they were accelerating efforts to help Serbia peacefully regain control of the Presevo Valley by implementing a phased and conditioned reduction of the buffer zone. Both the Serbian government and ethnic Albanian political leaders say they want to solve the crisis peacefully, but they have yet to agree on place and composition of their negotiation teams. The Albanian side says the guerrillas must be represented in the talks. But Yugoslav President Vojislav Kostunica was quoted as saying that "Albanian terrorists" could not take part. "Would anyone in France or Spain accept to directly negotiate with terrorists? No, he wouldn't," Kostunica told the daily Danas in an interview to be published on Saturday, the independent Beta news agency reported. "...the ones who took up arms or who stood behind the latest hideous murder of three policemen cannot negotiate," Kostunica was quoted as saying, referring to the killing of three Serbian police by anti-tank landmines on February 18.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |