| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] NATO re-assures Macedonia on guerrilla crisisGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comFri Mar 2 16:48:44 EST 2001
NATO re-assures Macedonia on guerrilla crisis By Elisaveta Konstantinova SKOPJE, March 2 (Reuters) - NATO assured Macedonia on Friday it was committed to its territorial integrity at the end of two-day crisis talks on how to resolve tension along the border with Kosovo. The alliance assured Macedonia it was taking seriously the guerrilla occupation of a border village after earlier urging the government not to use force for fear of damaging fragile relations between the country's ethnic Albanians and Slavs. An adviser to Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski criticised the alliance earlier on Friday for holding Macedonian forces back while letting the guerrillas through. "It is a matter of great difficulty to use political means when you deal with terrorists in defending your territory," security adviser Nikola Dimitrov told Reuters. "This is very irresponsible on behalf of NATO." Macedonia threatened to use military force to eject what it says are ethnic Albanian guerrillas occupying the border village of Tanusevci, some 40 km (25 miles) to the north of Skopje, but wants international backing. Responding to complaints from Skopje's worried government, alliance Secretary-General George Robertson issued a statement saying NATO was paying full attention to the situation and would receive detailed reports at the weekend. A NATO delegation wound up an emergency visit on Friday and returned to Brussels to report back. Robertson repeated that NATO was taking robust measures to increase security on the Kosovo side of the border and again commended the Balkan state for "its measured response to the situation so far and its efforts to resolve the problems through peaceful means." NATO URGES NEGOTIATIONS On Thursday, NATO told the Macedonians to use negotiation to solve the occupation, which has led to firefights between the guerrillas and the Macedonian army that have caused alarm in Western capitals fearful of snowballing violence. A military solution would damage inter-ethnic relations in Macedonia, visiting NATO delegate Daniel Speckhard, deputy assistant to Robertson, told Macedonian officials. Macedonia, with one-third of its population ethnic Albanians, borders Greece, Albania, Bulgaria, Serbia and the mainly Albanian Kosovo province. It is seen as vulnerable to any spillover of recent violence in and around Kosovo. Dimitrov complained that a lack of vigorous action would allow the armed men, thought to number up to a 100, to entrench themselves along the border. "Remaining passive will allow them to strengthen their positions and go into other villages. It is only one village now but if we do not take measures now, the problem might grow out of proportion," Dimitrov said. "One or two more serious incidents along the border would destabilise the region," he said. KFOR has promised to shore up border controls, but worries over the safety of its troops have kept them away from the armed men. Diplomats say KFOR cannot intervene on the Macedonian side of the border because it lacks the mandate. "That would be a whole new deployment, a whole new mission" for which there is little appetite, one Western envoy said. On Friday, the pilot of a NATO light observation plane reported being shot at near the border between Macedonia and Kosovo. Several bursts of fire were reported during the day.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |