| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Ethnic Albanians Meet With NATOGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comThu Mar 1 18:56:14 EST 2001
Ethnic Albanians Meet With NATO By FISNIK ABRASHI KONCULJ, Yugoslavia (AP) - Ethnic Albanian guerrillas fighting in a buffer zone between Kosovo and Serbia told NATO representatives Thursday that they were prepared for talks with the Serbs on ending the conflict. The guerrillas set the conditions that there be international mediation of the negotiations, that they be allowed to head the ethnic Albanian delegation and that the zone be demilitarized. In total, five of the nine-member Albanian negotiating team should be guerrilla representatives with the others coming from ethnic Albanian parties in the region, said Sami Azemi, the senior commander of the guerrillas. The guerrillas are operating in a three-mile-wide buffer zone between Kosovo - which is under international control - and the rest of Serbia. They have been battling Serb police and Yugoslav army troops nearby since late last year. The zone is one of two areas that have flared up with similar conflicts in recent weeks: Ethnic Albanian insurgents have been fighting in northern Macedonia near the Kosovo border. Though separated by borders, the conflicts appear similar - both sparked by insurgents apparently hoping to joining the heavuly ethnic Albanian areas to Kosovo as part of ultimate goals of independence. The latest upsurge of fighting around Kosovo has raised fears of another major crisis that could threaten the whole region, less than two years after NATO and the United Nations moved into Kosovo in the wake of a pullout of troops loyal to former President Slobodan Milosevic. The insurgents' offer for talks came after NATO began discussions with Serbia on narrowing the buffer zone, which would allow heavier Serb and Yugoslav forces into areas from which they are now barred. Now only lightly armed Serb police are allowed into the zone, and insurgents have taken control of large parts of the area. Later Thursday, a NATO team for the region met with both Serbian officials and local ethnic Albanian leaders about revising the zone and on efforts toward a peaceful solution. Serb government official Nebojsa Covic said the talks were ``constructive.'' He indicated Belgrade would not oppose inclusion of the militants in the ethnic Albanian delegation, saying ``We will talk to any ethnic Albanian representatives who have the trust of the local population.'' The Serb government has offered a peace plan to the ethnic Albanians, winning international support. Southern Serbia and northern Macedonia were reported quiet Thursday afternoon following clashes in both areas Wednesday. In a statement released in Geneva, U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Ruud Lubbers warned against an ``overly hasty change'' in the buffer zone because it ``could destabilize the area and cause further displacement of ethnic Albanians from southern Serbia into Kosovo.'' NATO officials stressed that the army would be allowed to return to the zone once the Serbian government implements confidence-building measures toward the local ethnic Albanian majority.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |