| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] The Guardian: Police retake gutted town of seven peopleIris Pilika ipilika at hotmail.comThu Jun 28 10:27:38 EDT 2001
Police retake gutted town of seven people Macedonia's interior minister says his forces will stay, despite an agreement for a demilitarised zone Special report: Macedonia Nicholas Wood, Aracinovo Thursday June 28, 2001 The Guardian Wearing bullet-proof vests and khaki fatigues, heavily armed Macedonian police yesterday moved back into the town of Aracinovo, 20 days after ethnic Albanian rebels had occupied it by simply walking into it. Now the police were returning under a controversial deal brokered by Nato and the European Union. Under the eyes of monitors from the EU and the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe, they began the slow process of house-to-house searches early in the morning. Every 20 minutes or so, a low bang could be heard, perhaps the sound of a grenade being lobbed into a house, or the work of explosives experts. In the centre of the town four elderly men looked on. "They didn't defeat them [the rebels]," said Raif Mehmeti, a 63-year-old Albanian who remained at home through the fighting in the town. "It was done under the agreement, otherwise they [the police] would never have been able to come," he said defiantly. "It was a lie that the army troops got even half way into the village." On Monday, up to 500 rebels left the area, accompanied by a US army escort. They were released into the mountains about seven miles away with their weapons. Behind them they left a scene that has almost become familiar in Macedonia. Like almost a dozen towns and villages before it, Aracinovo looked devastated, a testament to three days of shelling by the Macedonian army. The town lies on a hill overlooking the capital, Skopje. At the foot of the slopes is the area previously inhabited by ethnic Slavs. It was this that served as the NLA's front line and received the heaviest battering. Bloated dead cows lay in fields, their feet stiff in the air from rigor mortis. There were gaping holes in the side of houses, craters in the road and sprays of shrapnel marks along the walls. The main road leading to the centre of the town was strewn with rubble, collapsed telegraph poles and wires cut in two. There was little direct evidence of the rebel presence apart from white sandbags marking the point where they had set up their checkpoints at the entrance to the town. In one house five rocket-launched grenades had been left behind; in another three berets lay amid mattresses laid out on a cellar floor. The town's two mosques were both hit. Minarets are often the first targets of the Macedonian army in this conflict. Artillery teams use the towers to calibrate the sights on their guns. Here and there teams of Macedonian police drove by in armoured vehicles, or parked outside a house. At one point two black jeeps with tinted windows drove at speed into the main square. Four body guards jumped out, followed by a balding man wearing dark glasses. The interior minister, Ljube Boskovski, had come to inspect the progress of the police. "I don't want any journalist here. Move them away," he said, before jumping back into his vehicle and speeding off. There was confusion over the exact role of the police. Under the Nato-brokered withdrawal, Aracinovo is meant to become a demilitarised zone. Western diplomats had interpreted that as meaning that the police would withdraw from the area after an initial inspection. But Mr Boskovski, an opponent of the deal with the rebels, later announced that his security forces were there to stay. "We will remain in Aracinovo. We have not reached the drugs factory yet,"he said, referring to an alleged plant used by the rebels to process narcotics. "We are here with international representatives who are monitoring the means we are using to do the searches. "We have found a very large amount of weapons and ammunition The village was well fortified. The forces are here to restore peace and calm." Except for about seven people, however, the town was empty. The last of the other families left when the rebels pulled out. And if previous Albanian villages retaken by the Macedonian army are anything to go by, Aracinovo's former residents are unlikely to return in large numbers soon. Among those who had chosen to stay, was 71-year old Marika Panotova. She and one other woman were the only two ethnic Slavs to remain throughout the rebel occupation of Aracinovo. She stayed in an Albanian neighbour's cellar for part of the time, to shelter from the army's shelling. "Tell them about the NLA giving you bread," one of the Albanian elders standing nearby told Mrs Panotova as we spoke. "Yes, they gave me bread," she said. Then she added under her breath as the men moved away: "I cooked my own bread, they only gave me bread one or twice... It wasn't enough. It was nothing." Interactive guide _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |