| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Bush takes steps against Macedonia rebelsGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comWed Jun 27 21:45:34 EDT 2001
Bush takes steps against Macedonia rebels WASHINGTON, June 27 (Reuters) - President George W. Bush barred some ethnic Albanian rebels in Macedonia from entering the United States and took steps to stop them from being financed by U.S. citizens, the White House said on Wednesday. Seeking to shore up Macedonia's embattled government, which has been fighting ethnic Albanian guerrillas in the Balkan nation for several months, the White House also condemned what it called "terrorist violence" by the rebels. Bush issued an executive order barring U.S. citizens from financing a specific list of people "involved in violent and obstructionist actions." The White House did not immediately release the list, but a U.S. official said it targeted ethnic Albanians engaged in violence in Macedonia. The White House also said in a statement that Bush issued a proclamation restricting the entry into the United States of people seeking to "undermine peace and stability in the region" or "responsible for wartime atrocities" committed since 1991. "This is meant to combat the violent extremists in Macedonia," said a U.S. official who asked not to be named. He said the proclamation targeted people operating in Macedonia, southern Serbia and Kosovo and in some cases all three. "The purpose of these two actions is to send a clear message to the extremists and their supporters in the region, who actively obstruct and undermine peace and stability, that such tactics are unacceptable and that we will use the means at our disposal to isolate these groups and individuals and cut their access to financial support," the White House said. Western officials, desperate to prevent another Balkan war, have been trying to foster government talks with politicians representing the ethnic Albanians to try to find a political solution to the conflict. "The United States has joined with its European allies and other countries of the United Nations in strongly condemning the terrorist violence perpetrated by armed extremists determined to destabilize the democratic, multiethnic gov ernment of Macedonia," the White House said. "Their violent tactics threaten U.S. and international efforts to promote regional peace and stability and pose a potential danger to U.S. military forces and other Americans supporting peacekeeping efforts," it added. A European Union envoy on Wednesday urged Macedonia to talk to the ethnic Albanian guerrillas, but the former Yugoslav republic, seeming more keen to crush them with force, shelled a rebel stronghold. Western officials have not previously urged that the armed rebels be brought into negotiations. In its statement, the White House praised the efforts at finding a solution to the problem through political dialogue but did not suggest talking directly to the armed rebels. "Macedonian President (Boris) Trajkovski has asked for our support to combat these extremists, who are undermining the political dialogue currently underway among Macedonia's legitimately elected leaders," it said. "This dialogue offers a real opportunity for a negotiated and peaceful settlement."
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |