List: ALBSA-Info

[ALBSA-Info] Solana rebukes Macedonia government "radicals"

Gazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 23:00:21 EDT 2001

Solana rebukes Macedonia government "radicals"

By Douglas Hamilton

BRUSSELS, June 26 (Reuters) - European Union foreign affairs chief Javier
Solana warned on Tuesday of the dangers of radicals within Macedonia's
government, insisting that Albanian rebels could not be defeated militarily.

"Look. There's radicals on both sides. One has to work with those who are not
radicals," he said, appearing with NATO Secretary-General George Robertson
after talks on the Balkan country's crisis.

Without naming Prime Minister Ljbuco Georgievski or Interior Minister Ljube
Boskovski, Solana said that last week "somebody advised the government that
they could go on a military operation and in three hours they could solve the
problem."

"At the end of the third day they had to call in the international community
to solve the problem through dialogue," Solana said, referring to a failed
army offensive last week to drive ethnic Albanian rebels from Aracinovo, near
the capital.

"I think that's a good lesson that everybody has to learn, even those members
of the government who thought they could solve the problem in three hours,"
Solana said.

Deliberately playing down Monday's assault on parliament by an angRy mob of
Macedonians and gun-toting police demanding weapons to kill Albanians,
Robertson and Solana stressed that political dialogue was the only solution.

Macedonian leaders from both camps, plus international envoys despatched to
facilitate their talks, must work urgently and intensively to come up with a
peace settlement, they said.

Monday's protesters were angered by the NATO and EU role in evacuating the
guerrillas from Aracinovo, along with their weapons, in an operation seen as
vital to removing their threat to the capital and lowering the temperature.

"The success yesterday in evacuating and demilitarising Aracinovo was a very
subStantial success," Robertson said.

"The action was taken with the full agreement of the government in Skopje and
it was achieved with professionalism and skill," he went on. "It was an
important first step to achieve a cessation of all the violence."

NATO MISSION

Robertson said NATO was working at "historic speed" to prepare for a mission
to collect guerrilla arms -- a mission NATO insists will only take place "in
a benign environment" once there is a ceasefire and a firm political
agreement.

Both side-stepped a question on how long they could collaborate with a
government including radicals.

"The president of the republic, Mr (Boris) Trajkovski, has been my
interlocutor normally," Solana answered.

"And he has today made a very clear statement of where he wants to lead that
country...the direction is Europe...and Europe does not resolve problems by
use of force."

After introducing Francois Leotard, the newly appointed EU resident envoy to
Macedonia, Solana obliquely addressed concerns heard in diplomatic circles
that Leotard was thrust on him by French President Jacques Chirac and might
not be suitable.

"The fact that we are going to have somebody under my authority there
permanently -- because I cannot do it every day -- I think, with the
cooperation of both sides, I hope we will move THE process forward rapidly,"
he said.

"He is representing the European Union and without any doubt both sides would
like to be part of the European Union and they will accept the
representative. But I will be there too, don't worry."