| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Serb Jailed for Role in Kosovo MassacresIris Pilika ipilika at hotmail.comFri Jun 15 10:21:31 EDT 2001
Thursday June 14 5:10 PM ET Serb Jailed for Role in Kosovo Massacres By Beth Potter PRISTINA, Yugoslavia (Reuters) - An international panel in Kosovo sentenced a Serb man accused of war crimes to 20 years in prison on Thursday for his role in the killing of more than 60 ethnic Albanians, a U.N. prosecutor said. Cedomir Jovanovic, 61, an alleged member of a Serbian paramilitary group and in police uniform at the time, was convicted in connection with three separate incidents on March 25, 1999, said prosecutor Thomas Hickman. A U.N. spokesman had previously said Jovanovic had been convicted of involvement in the killing of more than 90 people on that date -- a day after NATO (news - web sites) launched a bombing campaign to halt Belgrade's repression of Kosovo's Albanians. According to Hickman, men in police uniform including Jovanovic came upon 26 members of the Zhuniqi and Spahiu families trying to flee from the Kosovo village of Bela Crkva. He said all but a two-year-old boy had been killed, and that there was a witness to the massacre. ``In that group, there was a child who survived because he fell under his mother when she was shot. He was two years of age,'' Hickman told Reuters. In the second incident, an old man was killed, he said. Later the same day, Jovanovic's group came upon a large number of people and killed 36 men after separating them from the women and children, Hickman said. In the same trial, Andjelko Kolasinac, 50, a former local leader in the central Kosovo village of Orahovac, received a five-year sentence for a lesser charge involving getting rid of personal belongings left behind by families who were expelled to neighboring Albania, Hickman said. The indictment originally named eight suspects, but six escaped from a jail in Kosovo last year. The conviction is the first made by an international three-judge panel for war crimes in Kosovo. Both men can appeal. NATO launched its 1999 bombing campaign to halt Belgrade's repression of Kosovo's Albanian majority. Albanians in the province have told reporters that many of the worst atrocities in the province came just after the bombing started. Kosovo remains legally part of Yugoslavia, but is now a de facto international protectorate. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |