List: ALBSA-Info

[ALBSA-Info] General Clark in Boston

Agron Alibali aalibali at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 08:20:09 EDT 2001

The World Affairs Council of Boston

Presents a luncheon with…

General Wesley K. Clark, U.S.A. (Ret.)

Supreme Allied Commander, Europe, 1997-2000

General Clark will discuss his new book, Waging Modern War, which recounts his experiences as Supreme Allied Commander. His book offers a unique behind-the-scenes look at how war was actually fought, and explains the conflict’s surprising implications for how war will be waged in the decades to come. An excerpt from Waging Modern War:

"In most of the twentieth century, wars were fought for territory. The survival of nations-or at least their systems of government-was at stake. It was a national warfare, relying on the mobilization of populations, vast conscript armies, and national controls over the economy and the flow of public information. Military men were trained to fight to win.… Operation Allied Forces wasn’t to be that kind of war.… This war wasn’t about national survival, or the survival of our democratic systems of government. We didn’t mobilize our populations or do anything in particular to affect the control of information.… This was a different type of war-a modern war."

Thursday, June 14, 2001

12 Noon Registration and Luncheon

12:30 p.m. Discussion

Radisson Hotel, 200 Stuart Street, Boston

$45 Members / $55 Non-members

**Books will be available for purchase at the luncheon.**

Please RSVP by Monday, June 11, 2001 to the Council at

(617) 482-1740 or via email at wac at worldaffairs.org <mailto:wac at worldaffairs.org>.