List: ALBSA-Info

[ALBSA-Info] Serbs swapped clothes of murdered Albanians to confuse investigat ors

Lukaj, Richard (Exchange) rlukaj at bear.com
Thu Jul 19 10:23:49 EDT 2001

Serbs swapped clothes of murdered Albanians to confuse investigators
By Robert Fisk
Internal links
Serb mass grave reveals secret of executed Americans
<http://news.independent.co.uk/world/europe/story.jsp?story=84028>
When the Yugoslav army pulled out of Kosovo in June of 1999, they took their
equipment with them, undamaged, unscratched by Nato's bombs. The convoys
were, for the most part, a Boy's Own paper of Russian weaponry - BMP
armoured vehicles, tracked radar-guided anti-aircraft guns and batteries of
white-tipped Sam-6 missiles alongside Frog ground-to-ground rockets. Under
Nato's agreement - designed, of course, to prevent a single Nato soldier
being scratched in conflict - the Serb paramilitaries also left unmolested.
So we saw the drunken and hooded gunmen leave with the army, the "White
Eagles" swigging beer on the back of their trucks, "Frenkie's Boys" - the
principal murderers, along with the "MUP" interior ministry police - and
some truckloads of what looked suspiciously like loot. And there, among the
columns - diligently watched over by Nato troops - were refrigerated trucks.
I remember that a colleague asked me what they contained. I shrugged. All
armies carry stores, frozen foods. We frowned at each other and watched
several of the white refrigerated lorries passing up the main road east of
Luzane in those hot, lazy June days after the war. It occurred to us that if
the Yugoslav army had taken serious casualties - which they denied - then
the bodies of soldiers might have been in those vehicles.
So what was inside? The Independent's revelations of mass reburials and
body-transports of Albanian victims of the Serb "ethnic cleansers" of Kosovo
added a new dimension to the charges levelled against Slobodan Milosevic at
The Hague last week. But our first suspicions - based on real evidence on
the ground (or perhaps "under the ground" would be the correct expression) -
came only a few months after the Serbian retreat. I had returned to the
province of Kosovo to record the search for bodies; and even now, when I go
back through my notes of October 1999, I shudder at their implications. It
was cold, wet, and the war crimes investigators - Los Angeles police
morticians, a Warwickshire policeman, a Dutch cop, a whole range of
made-for-television law enforcement officers - were attacking the earth with
shovels and picks.
At issue then were the statistics. During the war, President Clinton talked
of 100,000 "missing". The Foreign Office stuck to 10,000 "possible" dead.
That there were thousands of Albanians murdered was not in doubt. When I
asked a British investigator what he thought of a Spanish official's
estimate of not more than 2,000 dead, he replied, "Bollocks". Then, beside
the grave of an Albanian dug up near Mount Golesh, I found a Kosovo Albanian
lawyer, Bajram Krasniqi, the graves investigator for the Kosovo Liberation
Army leader, Hashem Thaci. He claimed that, in all, perhaps 8,000 Albanians
had been murdered. Then he said something quite extraordinary. "At Izbica
during the war, the KLA found 147 bodies of civilians killed by the Serbs
and they buried them and videotaped the burials. Then the Serbs came back
and dug them up, and we don't know where the bodies are."
On some occasions, Mr Krasniqi said, Serb police buried the dead in old
graveyards, hoping they would remain undiscovered. "They didn't believe the
Yugoslav army would leave Kosovo so quickly," he said. "They originally
planned to take the bodies with them."
On 19 November 1999, I reported his words in The Independent, adding my own
gloss. "Is this true?" I wrote. "Could this possibly be true? Were the Serb
paramiliary and interior ministry cops really planning to haul thousands of
dead Albanians out of Kosovo in trucks and lorries while Nato bombed them
from the air?" And I reported how I literally shook my head in disbelief
when a war crimes investigator - an inspector from a Midlands constabulary
in Britain - motioned me towards his vehicle.
"I want to show you something," he said. And we set off for Glogovac and a
rain-soaked, muddy hill above a ferro-nickel mine. There were 50 people
standing there, amid row after row of graves. Relatives, mothers and
fathers, identifying trousers and shirts and belts. "There are 118 bodies
here," the policeman said. "We've numbered them all and matched the clothes
in the bags to the bodies. But, you know something very strange? Some of the
clothes the bodies were dressed in didn't match the wounds. We found men
with one bullet wound wearing a shirt with two bullet holes - and men with
two bullet wounds in clothes with only one bullet hole." I asked the
policeman why their killers would do such a thing. He shrugged. "To make it
difficult for us?" he asked.
All this I reported in The Independent back in November, 1999. But neither
investigators nor journalists could yet grasp the extent of the cover-up,
the deliberate, pre-planned attempt to confuse the war crimes men. The
Warwickshire cop only suspected the truth. This was long before the
corpse-stuffed refrigerated lorry was found in the Danube and the mass grave
of Batajnica was opened. And I recall Mr Krasniqi, back in October of 1999,
talking about 2,000 Albanian prisoners still "missing" in Serbia. Were they
missing. Or were they secretly buried?
Looking back on it, there was a logic to the incomprehension which both the
first war crimes investigators and the journalists shared. The Serbs treated
the Albanians like dogs. A murdered Albanian would be left at the side of
the road, surely, or thrown into a mass grave. Refrigerated trucks were
supposed to preserve bodies, to take them home to loved ones. A refrigerated
truck is something you use to look after those you care for prior to burial,
not for your enemies. That this logic was overturned by the Serb interior
ministry police shows either the extent of our innocence or their
criminality.

Do You Yahoo!?
<http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/?.refer=tagline>
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
them to be the views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to
deal at any price quoted.
Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as
preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.