| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Macedonia peace talks resume under ambush cloudGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comTue Jul 3 19:55:56 EDT 2001
Macedonia peace talks resume under ambush cloud By Daniel Simpson SKOPJE, July 3 (Reuters) - Leaders across Macedonia's ethnic divide restarted peace talks on Tuesday with help from Western envoys but progress appeared likely to be difficult after an Albanian guerrilla ambush killed a Macedonian soldier. U.S. envoy James Pardew and his European Union counterpart Francois Leotard joined the cross-party session in parliament after holding two days of separate crisis talks with politicians to kick-start efforts to avert a civil war with dialogue. But neither gave any indication of how the deadlocked process might be salvaged to deliver substantial enough results to persuade Albanian gunmen to hand over their weapons. The guerrillas, whose rebellion in the name of greater rights for minority Albanians has brought Macedonia to the brink in less than five months, are planning to advance not retreat and Tuesday's ambush can only raise the pressure on the talks. "There is a fair bit of military muscle-flexing going on on both sides," a diplomatic source said, noting two successive nights of helicopter gunship strikes on a rebel-held village. A rebel commander codenamed Sokoli confirmed there had been an attack near the Kosovo border, where the guerrillas surfaced in February. The army said the rebels ambushed a patrol near the hamlet of Tanusevci, killing one soldier and injuring another. "One of the vehicles was hit by rockets from a hand-held launcher," army spokesman Blagoja Markovski said. Defence Minister Vlado Buckovski said peace talks had to move quickly and said the military situation was worsening after the guerrillas vowed to extend the territory they control. "The terrorists are in a phase of radicalising their acts," Buckovski said, but declined to say if he had used a weekend trip to Ukraine to restock the army's arsenal. MIRACLES UNLIKELY Diplomats say Pardew, appointed at the weekend to intensify Western efforts to broker a deal, should not be expected to work miracles in persuading the tiny Balkan republic's politicians to compromise on improving the lot of its Albanian population. Although now holding daily meetings, he is unlikely to make his first verdict public before Friday, a U.S. official said. On the table is a fresh draft of Macedonia's constitution, rewritten by a French expert in a bid to address the sensitive question of how to define the official status of Albanians. But diplomats expect this to be one of the last issues to be finalised and neither side has commented on the new proposal. Last week's controversial NATO-backed evacuation of rebels from a village on Skopje's outskirts sought to ease pressure on the talks. But the rebel National Liberation Army (NLA) has since seized new ground while the politicians have stood still. The rebels and Albanian politicians demand international mediation and are sure to welcome U.S. involvement. But their Macedonian counterparts are resisting a formalised foreign role. President Boris Trajkovski told Greek foreign minister George Papandreou that plans for an international peace summit being touted by several EU nations, including Greece, were unnecessary, although advice from Western envoys was welcome. "The political leaders in Macedonia have the responsibility for coping with the crisis," Trajkovski told Papandreou by telephone, according to a statement released by his cabinet. The only intervention both sides agree on is for NATO to help disarm the rebels if they agree to give up. But without major progress in the talks, this remains a distant prospect. Some 100,000 civilians have fled their homes since February, more than 70,000 of them to join Albanian kin in Kosovo.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |