| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] EU envoy starts Macedonia mission, NATO urges dealGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comMon Jul 2 20:22:47 EDT 2001
EU envoy starts Macedonia mission, NATO urges deal By Anatoly Verbin SKOPJE, June 29 (Reuters) - The European Union's new Balkans envoy, Francois Leotard, on Friday met Macedonian President Boris Trajkovski on the first step of his mission aimed at averting a new war in the Balkans. Macedonian troops fired occasional machinegun and mortar rounds at ethnic Albanian rebel positions just above the city of Tetovo, but Reuters reporters said there were no fresh skirmishes in the northeast. In Brussels, NATO said it had given final approval to a plan to send up to 3,000 troops to Macedonia to collect and destroy the weapons of ethnic Albanian rebels. The force would only go once a lasting ceasefire had been declared and a political agreement reached between Macedonian political parties -- the task Leotard is due to facilitate. "The ball is now firmly in the court of the Macedonian government to deliver on the political dialogue and the ceasefire in order to allow NATO's help to come into effect," NATO Secretary-General George Robertson told Reuters in London. Western nations have been engaged in intensive diplomacy to try to halt the four-month-old rebellion in Macedonia, fuelled from neighbouring NATO-patrolled Kosovo. "I indicated to President Trajkovski that there were several levels of dialogue," Leotard told reporters after the meeting. "There is the political dialogue among parliamentary representatives, but there's another dialogue which is carried out between the authorities of this republic with the international community and the opinion of the European Union has its place in this." Macedonian and ethnic Albanian political leaders have been discussing ways to improve minority rights to undercut the four-month-old rebellion, but talks have stalled. The latest meeting was disrupted on Monday when armed police reservists stormed into parliament during a nationalist riot and participants in the talks were evacuated through a back door. Interior Minister Ljube Boskovski said on Friday he had ordered demobilisation of some police reservists. LEOTARD STARTED WITH A SNAG The Albanians are demanding a more formalised international participation, something the Macedonian side has so far resisted, fearing it will play into their opponents' hands, but diplomats say such a move is crucial to get negotiations moving. Leotard made his talks ever more difficult when on Tuesday, one day after his appointment, he said the government should talk to the rebels. He later clarified his comments to make clear the EU position -- negotiations with the one-third minority's political leaders, but not the guerrillas -- remained unchanged. Another Leotard task is to avoid the prospect of NATO getting dragged into yet another conflict in former Yugoslavia. Slobodan Milosevic, blamed for most of the wars, was transferred to an international court in The Hague on Thursday. NATO has had what it calls "technical" contacts with the insurgents, brokering a deal this week to end an army onslaught in a strategic village. CIVILIANS SUFFER NATO spokesman Yves Brodeur told Reuters in Brussels that 15 of the 19 NATO member countries, including the United States, had pledged to take part in the operation under which 3,000 NATO troops would come to help disarm the rebels. About 100,000 people, mostly ethnic Albanian villagers, have been displaced. Thousands of others remain trapped in the northern hills held by the rebels in conditions described by some aid workers as close to a humanitarian catastrophe. A doctor in the northeasten village of Slupcane, held by the rebels and shelled by the troops since early May, said the situation there was "catastrophic." "We have a lot of infection. We do not have food. There are a lot of dead animals. If they do nothing to bury them, it is possible there will be an epidemic," said the doctor who preferred to be called by his first name, Fatmir. In Kosovo, the NATO-led KFOR peacekeeping force said 20 suspected guerrillas from Macedonia were detained on Thursday near the border. Three of them had gunshot wounds.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |