| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Rugova on La StampaAgron Alibali aalibali at yahoo.comTue Jan 9 08:25:03 EST 2001
Albanian leader Rugova says Belgrade staging depleted uranium "campaign" Source: La Stampa, Turin, in Italian 6 Jan 01 p 2 [2] Ibrahim Rugova, leader of the main Kosovo Albanian party, the Democratic League of Kosovo, has suggested that the Belgrade authorities orchestrated the rising concern over the impact of depleted uranium bombs used by NATO in the former Yugoslavia. He said that those responsible had opposed NATO intervention in 1999 and were opposed to NATO's continued presence in the area. He denied that depleted uranium ordnance might have led to about 1,000 deaths among the civilian population in Kosovo. The following is an excerpt from an interview with Rugova by "G. Ru." in Pristina, "Rugova: An orchestration to discredit allies", published by the Italian newspaper La Stampa on 6 January: Pristina: Ibrahim Rugova, the Gandhi of the Balkans and "president" of the Albanian community in Kosovo, as well as the undisputed winner of the recent round of local elections in the region, sees a plot orchestrated by Belgrade (both the Belgrade of [former Yugoslav President Slobodan] Milosevic and the Belgrade of [Yugoslav President Vojislav] Kostunica) underlying the depleted uranium affair. Rugova, who is a moderate leader, does not believe in the new Serbian path being pursued by Kostunica, a man in whom the international community on the other hand has placed its trust. "We have yet to understand Belgrade's line on Kosovo. Kostunica's statements are not a move in the direction that we had been hoping for." This is what Rugova told [Italian] Defence Under Secretary Marco Minniti when the latter met him in his home yesterday. At the end of the Italian under secretary's visit, Rugova reiterated his suspicion that there is a Serbian conspiracy behind all the alarm over contamination from depleted uranium. [La Stampa] Mr Chairman, international public opinion is following with some concern the affair of military personnel who have come down with leukaemia, a disease that they may have contracted after coming into contact with depleted uranium. Have any instances of death or of pathologies that could be linked to uranium contamination been reported here in Kosovo among the civilian population? [Rugova] Not as far as I am aware. I am sorry that this alarmist campaign has been triggered. It is a campaign designed to discredit NATO intervention in Kosovo. It would have been better to wait for the results of the various medical inquiries and for those provided by the military experts before triggering this kind of alarm. I repeat, there could well be some kind of orchestration behind this campaign. [La Stampa] An orchestration on whose part? [Rugova] On the part of those who do not accept the situation that has come into being in Kosovo; on the part of those who were opposed to NATO intervention back then and who are opposed to NATO's ongoing presence in the area today. [La Stampa] But Milosevic is no longer in power in Belgrade. Is Kostunica "guilty" too? [Rugova] Also those who are in power now may well have an interest in fomenting this campaign that seeks to bar the road to progress in Kosovo. [La Stampa] According to a number of sources, depleted uranium may have led to about 1,000 deaths among the civilian population in Kosovo. [Rugova] Not as far as I am aware. This is nothing but propaganda spread around by Belgrade to bar the way to stability in the region, to the independence of Kosovo, and to democracy... __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Photos - Share your holiday photos online! http://photos.yahoo.com/
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |