| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Belgrade says committed to peace despite violenceGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comMon Feb 19 12:08:06 EST 2001
Belgrade says committed to peace despite violence By Andrew Gray BELGRADE, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Yugoslavia said it was still committed to a peaceful resolution of the conflict near the Kosovo boundary despite a day of violence which left three Serb policemen and one ethnic Albanian guerrilla dead. Belgrade said the deaths on Sunday of the three policemen killed by anti-tank landmines in the Presevo Valley area, just a few kilometres inside Serbia proper, were part of a broader campaign of terror by ethnic Albanians. Serb ministers linked the deaths to the bombing of a bus in ethnic Albanian-dominated Kosovo on Friday in which seven Serbs were killed and dozens more wounded. But the Presevo Valley guerrillas distanced themselves from the bus bombing and insisted they too wanted a peaceful resolution to their conflict with Serb security forces, which has claimed around 30 lives in sporadic fighting since it began a year ago. Yugoslav President Vojislav Kostunica held an emergency meeing with top government and security officials on Sunday evening. He said they had agreed a series of measures to "protect against terrorism," giving no details. But he made clear his government still wanted to solve the problems of the Presevo Valley through dialogue. "The meeting noted that the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia will remain dedicated to its peaceful policy and launch even stronger diplomatic action to have the issues of Serbia's south resolved through negotiations," he said. That remark, at least, may bring a small sigh of relief at NATO headquarters. Secretary General George Robertson urged Serbia's new reformist rulers to stick to their policy of restraint, which has won praise from Western governments. "I deplore the escalation of the violence in southern Serbia and urge the leadership of both sides to exercise maximum restraint," he said in a statement issued in Brussels. "The problems of the region cannot be solved by violence; they can only be settled through direct negotiations between the parties. Today's events make the urgency of moving ahead with such negotiations all the more clear." BELGRADE DEMANDS ACTION FROM NATO PEACEKEEPERS The rebels say they are fighting Serb repression of the substantial ethnic Albanian population in the Presevo Valley. Serb officials have branded them terrorists whose only goal is to join the area to ethnic Albanian-dominated Kosovo. Yugoslav Foreign minister Goran Svilanovic wrote to Robertson asking for urgent action from NATO peacekeepers in Kosovo to clamp down on extremists. "It is obvious that we are dealing with well-planned, premeditated and synchronised attacks aimed at provoking Yugoslav security forces and creating a much broader conflict," Svilanovic wrote in the letter, quoted by Beta news agency. "The Federal Republic of Yugoslavia cannot allow Albanian terrorists to kill its citizens," he said. The guerrillas said one of their number had been killed and two wounded in a firefight with Serb forces later on Sunday. Each side blamed the other for starting that skirmish. Reporters taken to the scene of the landmine blasts saw smouldering charred bodies, a vehicle blown apart with fragments scattered up to 200 metres (yards) away, and two identical craters, about 1.5 metres (five feet) deep and 2.5 metres wide. Serb officials said the police vehicle had two landmines on Sunday morning planted near the village of Lucane, a few kilometres from the boundary with Kosovo and on the edge of a buffer zone which runs along the Serbian side of the boundary. The guerrillas have made the five km (three mile) wide buffer zone their base, taking advantage of the fact only lightly armed Serb police are allowed inside under a deal between NATO and Belgrade agreed in June 1999. NATO, anxious to bolster Serbia's new democratic rulers who took power after the downfall of the alliance's bete noire Slobodan Milosevic, has called on the rebels to lay down their arms and given cautious backing to a Serb peace plan
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |