| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Tribunal Shares Thoughts on ArrestGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comSun Apr 1 10:22:30 EDT 2001
Tribunal Shares Thoughts on Arrest THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The arrest of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic brought him one step closer to an international trial to answer for the persecution and murder of ethnic Albanians during the Kosovo war, the U.N. war crimes tribunal said Sunday. Although Yugoslav authorities planned to charge Milosevic for corruption and actions that led to the dissolution of the Yugoslav federation, the tribunal said Belgrade has ``a binding legal obligation'' to hand him over to The Hague to stand trial for war crimes. ``We hope his arrest is a step closer to bringing about his surrender to the tribunal,'' said spokesman Jim Landale. So far, the tribunal has received no information to contradict Yugoslavia's public position that Milosevic would not be extradited before being tried at home for corruption. Chief Prosecutor Carla Del Ponte has said the war crimes charges take precedence over Milosevic's alleged domestic crimes. But she has left the door open for parallel trials. In a statement three weeks ago, Del Ponte said the president of the tribunal could consider allowing anyone indicted war crimes suspect ``to stand trial before a local court pending the start of a trial before the tribunal.'' But that could happen only after he surrendered to The Hague, she said. Milosevic was indicted in May 1999 on four counts of crimes against humanity and violation of the Geneva Conventions on the conduct of war in connection with the Serb campaign against Kosovo earlier that year. The indictment said Milosevic ``planned, instigated, ordered, committed or otherwise aided and abetted in a campaign of terror and violence against Kosovar Albanians,'' in which hundreds were murdered and 740,000 were persecuted or displaced from their homes. Del Ponte has said her prosecutors also are investigating Milosevic's actions during the Balkans wars of the early 1990s, and she may expand the indictment against him to include charges of genocide. The tribunal had hoped the U.S. deadline of March 31 for Yugoslavia to cooperate with the tribunal would ``focus minds in Belgrade'' about handing over the ousted president to The Hague, Landale said. But he had no comment on whether Washington should sever its aid program to Yugoslavia if Milosevic is not handed over. ``It's up to them. We carry on doing our work and hoping that the Yugoslav authorities cooperate with the tribunal,'' he said.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |