| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] INTERVIEW-Ex-Yugoslav PM Asks Putin to Give Milosevic Refuge/Milosevic Loses Poll, Opposition Rejects Runoff/Russia Calls for Calm, Restraint in Yugoslavia/Brother Says Milosevic no Power-hungry Monster/Serb Opposition Seeks Street Support for Poll WinGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comTue Sep 26 21:19:28 EDT 2000
1. INTERVIEW-Ex-Yugoslav PM Asks Putin to Give Milosevic Refuge 2. Milosevic Loses Poll, Opposition Rejects Runoff 3. Russia Calls for Calm, Restraint in Yugoslavia 4. Brother Says Milosevic no Power-hungry Monster 5. Serb Opposition Seeks Street Support for Poll Win ****** #1. INTERVIEW-Ex-Yugoslav PM Asks Putin to Give Milosevic Refuge By Elaine Monaghan WASHINGTON, Sept 26 (Reuters) - Former Yugoslav prime minister Milan Panic hailed President Slobodan Milosevic's first-round poll defeat on Tuesday and urged Russia to give him temporary refuge to avoid bloodshed. Panic, a U.S.-based businessman defeated by Milosevic in 1992 in elections he said were rigged, told Reuters he was writing to Russian President Vladimir Putin to suggest he fly the Balkan strongman to Russia, his fellow Orthodox Slav ally. He said Milosevic was a ``cornered animal'' who would ``try anything'' after conceding defeat in Sunday's first round but calling a run-off election for Oct. 8. Western officials, like the Serbian opposition, say moderate nationalist Vojislav Kostunica won the first round vote outright and that Milosevic only received some of the 40.23 percent the Election Commission says he got by cheating. The commission said Kostunica received 48.22 percent of the vote. ``The Russians can save the Serbs and Yugoslavs -- and Milosevic, for the time being,'' said Panic, who was made prime minister by his political enemy Milosevic but purged in a wave of nationalism five months later. ``I'm going to be asking Mr. Putin very soon to send a plane and pick him up,'' he added in a telephone interview. ``How about Siberia?'' one American official suggested on hearing of Panic's idea. Another said ironically that Moscow might serve as a transit stop -- en route to an international court in The Hague where Milosevic is wanted for trial for alleged war crimes. U.S. officials flatly denied a New York Times report in June that quoted unnamed U.S. and NATO officials as saying President Bill Clinton's administration was discussing the idea of an exit strategy for Milosevic with Western allies and Russia. But Panic said the immediate priority was to get Milosevic out of Yugoslavia ``to avoid bloodshed'' -- either against him or because of his desire to stay in power to avoid extradition. Reflecting on a series of Balkan wars that have brought not only bombs but international sanctions down on Belgrade's head, Panic said, ``It's a very sweet moment to see him out. But it's a very bitter moment, what he has done to Serbia, and the people of Yugoslavia, Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.'' BUSINESS INTERESTS Panic is chief executive of U.S. drugs firm ICN Pharmaceuticals Inc., which has interests in Russia, and he has met Putin in the past. He wants to regain control of a drug-making unit that was one of Belgrade's most successful companies when the government took it over in a move blasted by the U.S. State Department as a way of avoiding paying $175 million it owed ICN for medicines. ``If Milosevic leaves today, I will return tomorrow,'' he said. While Panic shares the West's hatred for Milosevic's regime, he opposed its air campaign in Yugoslavia last year. The United States has always insisted that Milosevic belongs only at the U.N. court in The Hague for trial for alleged war crimes by his forces in Kosovo. There was no way of knowing for sure whether Panic's idea would be taken up or even considered seriously by either side. Milosevic's brother, Yugoslavia's ambassador in Russia, said earlier on Tuesday that his brother was no monster and that he would likely stay in his homeland no matter what. #2. Milosevic Loses Poll, Opposition Rejects Runoff By Beti Bilandzic BELGRADE, Sept 26 (Reuters) - Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic admitted on Tuesday he had lost crucial elections and called a runoff vote, but the opposition rejected a second poll and insisted their candidate had won outright. Milosevic's admission of defeat came in a surprise announcement by the state Election Commission carried on the main evening television news. The Commission said opposition candidate Vojislav Kostunica had secured 48.22 percent of the vote -- just short of the 50 percent that would have ensured him outright victory -- against Milosevic's 40.23 percent in Sunday's presidential poll. Kostunica immediately rejected participation in a runoff vote with Milosevic, which the state news agency Tanjug said would be held on October 8. ``The Socialists are trying to bargain their way into a second round for Slobodan Milosevic. It is of course an offer that can and must be refused,'' Kostunica said in a written statement carried by the Beta news agency. He called the Commission's decision an insult to all who voted and accused Milosevic of trying to divide his backers. ``Milosevic's regime is trying to buy some time and try to provoke disturbance among the citizens and quarrels within the democratic opposition,'' he said. RESULT SLAMMED BY SERB INDEPENDENT MONITORS The result, the greatest setback Milosevic has faced in 13 years of power, was immediately denounced by independent Serb monitors as a fabrication. Kostunica's backers say he won at least 54 percent of the poll. They had feared Milosevic would seek a runoff after realising he could not reverse the outcome of the first round. ``This is pure fabrication by the Federal Electoral Commission,'' said Marko Blagojevic, spokesman for the independent CESID monitoring service. The United States said the government's failure to award victory to the opposition was ``highly suspect.'' ``The failure to award a first-round victory for the opposition is highly suspect, given the other credible reports that came out of the polling,'' White House spokesman Joe Lockhart told reporters. Britain said it was clear Milosevic had lost and urged him to hand over power peacefully. Opposition leader Zoran Djindjic said the government-run Commission had stolen 400,000 votes from Kostunica and given 200,000 votes to Milosevic. ``Tonight, we will request their voting records and compare them with ours, one by one if necessary,'' said Djindjic. CELEBRATIONS BECOME PROTEST Election victory rallies became protests in several Serbian towns after opposition supporters heard of the government move. Some 20,000 gathered in the towns of Novi Sad and Cacak to back Kostunica and his call for his triumph to be recognised. Support for the opposition's rejection of a second round is likely to be tested at a large protest rally called for the centre of Belgrade on Wednesday evening. A Western diplomat said a boycott of the second round could play into Milosevic's hands by allowing him to accuse the opposition of hindering the democratic process. The announcement from the Commission ended two days of speculation over how Milosevic would respond to growing evidence of his defeat, which appeared to have taken him by surprise. Western pressure and the size of Kostunica's triumph seems to have dissuaded the government from taking the drastic measures, including violence, that many had feared. Analysts said the recourse to a second round of voting was a typical Milosevic manoeuvre, buying time in which to try to reinforce his grip on power. ``He's a master of using time,'' said one Western diplomat in the region, speaking before the Tuesday evening announcement. ``It would give him at least another 10 to 12 days to figure out what to do and that could include all sorts of things like trying to drive wedges among the opposition, trying to bribe some of them off, whatever else.'' Milosevic may also try to provoke some crisis that would indefinitely postpone the second round of voting, he added. Pro-Western politicians in Montenegro, Serbia's small sister republic in the Yugoslav federation, said the runoff proposal was a trick the opposition must be careful to avoid. ``The opposition would be making a huge, huge mistake by accepting,'' deputy Prime Minister Dragisa Burzan told Reuters. WESTERN PRESSURE Western leaders have kept up the pressure on Milosevic to concede defeat ever since results started to come. U.S. President Bill Clinton said Milosevic, indicted for war crimes by a United Nations tribunal, appeared to have ``lost the last vestige of legitimacy'' and suggested sanctions could be lifted ``if the will of the people is respected.'' France, which currently holds the rotating European Union presidency, has also said the opposition claim of victory opened the door to a lifting of sanctions. Britain said Milosevic should be aware of the West's military might when thinking of using force to stay in power. But diplomats were sceptical there was real support for military action against Milosevic if he staged a violent clampdown. In Belgrade, opposition figures said Cook's words could play into the hands of the government. During the election campaign, Milosevic branded the opposition as traitors and stooges of the West. #3. Russia Calls for Calm, Restraint in Yugoslavia MOSCOW, Sept 26 (Reuters) - Russia appealed on Tuesday for calm in Yugoslavia after Sunday's presidential vote, in which both incumbent Slobodan Milosevic's party and his opponents have claimed victory, and said the poll could be viewed as fair. ``The first round of the presidential election has already demonstrated the considerable democratic potential in Yugoslav society. Now it is vital to preserve civil peace and stability in the country,'' the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. ``It is also important that all political forces refrain from any kind of confrontation,'' it said. Gennady Seleznyov, the speaker of Russia's State Duma lower house of parliament, criticised Western reaction to the poll. Russia has traditionally had close ties to Yugoslavia and has acted as an intermediary between Belgrade and Western states. ``This is the most blatant interference in the affairs of a sovereign state, in fact it is blackmail and a provocation -- to stir up people who took to Belgrade's streets today in an agitated state,'' Seleznyov, a moderate Communist, was quoted as saying by Interfax news agency. Several Western leaders have said it appears that Milosevic's main opponent, Vojislav Kostunica, was the winner. British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook said Milosevic should not forget that NATO has significant military capability close to Serbia. Official election results are to be released on Thursday. The Foreign Ministry statement reiterated Moscow's belief that the international isolation of Yugoslavia should end and sanctions be lifted ``regardless of who becomes the legally elected president.'' It added that Russian election observers had played an active role, monitoring the voting at 150 polling stations. ``(But) their evaluations would carry more weight if representatives of the European Union, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe and other international organisations had been allowed to monitor the election,'' the statement said. The Yugoslav opposition said that with returns available from 97.5 percent of polling stations, Kostunica had won 54.66 of votes and Milosevic had 35.01 percent. #4. Brother Says Milosevic no Power-hungry Monster MOSCOW, Sept 26 (Reuters) - The brother of President Slobodan Milosevic said on Tuesday the Yugoslav leader was not a monster, bent on hanging on to power at all costs. Borislav Milosevic, Yugoslavia's ambassador to Russia, also said his brother was likely to stay in his own country whenever he retired from politics, despite pressure from the West. ``The president of Yugoslavia will act according to the constitution,'' Borislav told Ekho Moskvy radio. ``If a situation arises...where he has to leave office, he will leave.'' ``Hang on to power by any means? Why? Is he a monster? I do not see such an outcome,'' he added. The West has already said Milosevic lost Sunday's presidential election and has urged him not to rig the results. The Yugoslav election commission has yet to announce official results. Both Milosevic's supporters and those of opponent Vojislav Kostunica have already declared victory. Milosevic told the radio the result would be announced on Wednesday evening, although the Federal Election Commission had earlier said in Belgrade it would not come until Thursday. He rejected Western accusations that the authorities were planning to falsify the outcome and said the delay in announcing the final tally was due to a lack of modern computer technology. Milosevic said his brother was not worried about possibly having to leave Yugoslavia at the end of his political career and saw a cosy future for a man who is an indicted war criminal. ``When he reaches his pension I think Slobodan Milosevic will stay in his own country, with his grandchildren, with his children. Why should he leave his homeland?'' #5. Serb Opposition Seeks Street Support for Poll Win By Beti Bilandzic BELGRADE, Sept 27 (Reuters) - The Yugoslav opposition was urging people into the streets on Wednesday to back its claim to outright victory in elections and deny President Slobodan Milosevic a second round of voting, after he lost the first. The opposition party bloc insisted that their candidate Vojislav Kostunica had won Sunday's crucial presidential elections with at least 54 percent of the vote. It rejected an order by the state Electoral Commission for a runoff vote and called a rally in front of Belgrade's federal parliament on Wednesday evening to declare victory. The rally also looks likely to become a protest against the official election results putting Kostunica ahead of Milosevic with around 48 percent of the vote -- just short of the 50 percent needed for outright victory. However opposition leaders said they would give the Electoral Commission a chance to back down. ``The rallies planned for tomorrow are going ahead and depending on the final ruling of the commission we will either have a celebration or a protest,'' said the head of the opposition Democratic Party, Zoran Djindjic. Milosevic's admission that he was behind Kostunica, after three days of silence, came in a surprise announcement on Wednesday by the Election Commission -- which had promised official results on Thursday -- that Kostunica had won 48.22 percent against Milosevic's 40.23 percent. DEFEAT IS BIGGEST SETBACK FOR MILOSEVIC IN 13 YEARS The result was the greatest setback Milosevic has absorbed in 13 years in power during which Yugoslavia has suffered the ravages of ethnic wars, political isolation and international economic and diplomatic sanctions. Kostunica immediately rejected participation in a runoff vote with Milosevic, which the state news agency Tanjug said would be held on October 8. ``The Socialists are trying to bargain their way into a second round for Slobodan Milosevic. It is of course an offer that can and must be refused,'' Kostunica said in a written statement carried by the independent Serbian news agency Beta. He called the Commission's decision an insult to all who voted and accused Milosevic of trying to divide his backers. ``Milosevic's regime is trying to buy some time and trying to provoke disturbance among the citizens and quarrels within the democratic opposition,'' he said. Kostunica's stance won backing from the West, which had warned Milosevic, indicted by the U.N. tribunal in the Hague as a suspected war criminal, not to try to rig the vote. In Washington, White House spokesman Joe Lockhart said the Belgrade government's failure to award victory to the opposition ``is highly suspect, given the other credible reports that came out of the polling.'' Britain said it was clear Milosevic had lost and urged him to hand over power peacefully. Even Serbia's sister republic Montenegro, which has a pro-Western leadership, warned that Milosevic's runoff proposal was a trick the opposition must be careful to avoid. ``The opposition would be making a huge, huge mistake by accepting,'' deputy Prime Minister Dragisa Burzan told Reuters. POLL BOYCOTT COULD HELP MILOSEVIC, DIPLOMAT SAYS But a Western diplomat in Belgrade said a boycott of the second round could play into Milosevic's hands by allowing him to accuse the opposition of hindering the democratic process. Milosevic may also try to provoke some crisis that would indefinitely postpone the second round of voting, he added. Opposition celebrations turned into protests in several towns across Serbia, Yugoslavia's main republic, on Tuesday after the Election Commission published its results. More than 5,000 opposition supporters gathered at a central square in the northern city of Novi Sad, while in the central town of Cacak, some 15,000 people attended another rally called before the electoral commission announcement. ``Serbian citizens will not allow someone to erase their votes,'' the head of the Cacak local government, Milan Kandic, told the crowd. Protests were also held in other towns, such as Jagodina and Cuprija, Beta reported. It was the third day of rallies called to celebrate what opposition leaders said was a clear presidential victory for Kostunica over the embattled Yugoslav leader, whom they blame for widespread poverty and growing international ostracism. Amid the opposition euphoria, some analysts said it was not yet clear whether Kostunica could mobilise the masses to pour into the streets. Ljubica Markovic, editor-in-chief of Beta, said on Wednesday an opposition rally the previous evening had not drawn as many people as expected, ``because it seems as if victory is not certain. There is still nothing really to celebrate.''
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |