| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Kosovo's Albanians Concerned/UN Says Kosovo Albanians Ignored Yugoslav Vote/Opposition Claiming Yugoslavia VoteGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comMon Sep 25 00:50:01 EDT 2000
1. Kosovo's Albanians Concerned 2. UN Says Kosovo Albanians Ignored Yugoslav Vote 3. Opposition Claiming Yugoslavia Vote 4. Kostunica Claims Victory in Crucial Yugoslav Poll ****** #1. Kosovo's Albanians Concerned By ELENA BECATOROS PRISTINA, Yugoslavia (AP) - Although Kosovo's ethnic Albanians will stay on the sidelines in Sunday's Yugoslav elections, many of them will be quietly rooting for Slobodan Milosevic - the man who drove most of them from their homes last year. Many Kosovo Albanians, who technically remain Yugoslav citizens, fear victory by opposition candidate Vojislav Kostunica will encourage the West to make overtures to Belgrade and undercut their aspirations for independence from Yugoslavia's main republic Serbia. ``I think it would be simpler if Milosevic wins,'' said Bajram Rexhepi, the ethnic Albanian community leader in Kosovska Mitrovica. ``But even if Kostunica wins, we will try for independence. We won't push for independence now because this is not the time. But we will in the future.'' Although Kosovo Albanians could vote as Yugoslav citizens in Sunday's balloting, few are expected to do so. Many of the province's 2 million ethnic Albanians had been boycotting elections and other Yugoslav institutions since Milosevic canceled Kosovo's autonomy in 1989. Milosevic has been indicted by the U.N. court in The Hague for atrocities committed by Yugoslav forces during the 18-month crackdown, which ended when NATO-led troops arrived here last year after the 78-day Western bombing of Yugoslavia. Despite the suffering visited on them during Milosevic's rule, many ethnic Albanians realize that as long as he remains in power, the West is unlikely to cut any deal with Belgrade which would restore Serb rule that effectively ended when international peacekeepers arrived. Neither the United States nor any other major power supports independence for Kosovo. But as long as Milosevic is president, however, the prospects for that goal are certainly no worse than under a Yugoslav leader more acceptable to the West. ``It is better for Kosovo if Milosevic wins,'' said Mimosa, an ethnic Albanian journalist who refused to give her surname. ``Kostunica is an unknown. We don't know his strategy.'' Many ethnic Albanians interviewed in this dusty provincial capital fear the West, in its drive to get rid of Milosevic, has misjudged Kostunica, who himself is a strong Serb nationalist. They fear an opposition victory could lead to the gradual withdrawal of the international presence from Kosovo and a sudden influx of aid for Serbia at Kosovo's expense. ``Europe thinks the opposition in Serbia is democratic. They don't know it could be worse than Milosevic,'' said Daut Demaku, 55. ``The opposition of Serbia is more criminal than Milosevic.'' Kostunica, who is leading in all independent polls, has promised to seek the return of the estimated 200,000 Serbs who fled Kosovo after Yugoslav forces withdrew. That worries Kosovo Albanians, who complain Serb opposition leaders have never openly condemned Milosevic for his crackdown in Kosovo. ``The opposition of Serbia never criticized Milosevic (on Kosovo). They have the same ideas,'' Sabit Abdullahi said. ``Kostunica is a modern nationalist. I don't believe the West understands this.'' #2. UN Says Kosovo Albanians Ignored Yugoslav Vote By Douglas Hamilton PRISTINA, Yugoslavia, Sept 24 (Reuters) - Kosovo Albanians ignored the Yugoslav elections on Sunday, dismissing them as a purely Serbian event of no consequence to the province which they are determined will soon be an independent homeland. The United Nations sent out 300 ``witness teams'' to check the turnout in the parliamentary and presidential ballot, and reported after most polls had closed in Kosovo at 4 p.m. (1400 GMT) that 44,167 people had entered polling stations, all of them in predominantly Serb areas. ``I can assure you that any claim of massive participation by Kosovo Albanians in the so-called FRY (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia) election in Kosovo would be a fiction or a manipulation,'' Kosovo's U.N. administrator Bernard Kouchner told a news conference midway through the voting. ``As far as the Serb and other non-Albanian areas (are concerned) we have witnessed that the number of stations in operation this morning are far fewer than the sites Belgrade claims to have set up,'' he told a news conference. ``There were no major incidents,'' he said, at his second news conference of the day. He said the UN figures were not scientific, but indicated the maximum possible number of voters. ``We were witnesses, not observers,'' Kouchner said. Six hours after the start of voting, only 55 people -- all Serbs -- had cast ballots at one of two polling stations in Pristina, the capital city of some 500,000 inhabitants. They were adult members of mostly displaced families, who voted in an unfinished basement room of an apartment complex that has become a virtual prison yard for 150 Serbs, with British commandos providing round-the-clock protection against potential Albanian revenge attacks. For the rest of the capital, the election was a non-event. ``Serbia? We have nothing to do with them. Let them go to hell,'' said pensioner Nazmie Hoxha. EYES ON THEIR OWN OCTOBER ELECTION An estimated 60,000 Kosovo Serbs were eligible to vote -- a tiny fraction of Yugoslavia's 7.4 million electorate. Serbian claims that Kosovo Albanians would also be keen to cast ballots were laughed off by Kosovars. Kosovo holds its own municipal elections in one month -- the first test of democracy in the province since NATO and the United Nations took control in June last year. The United Nations will establish 1,500 polling stations for that vote. On Sunday, by contrast, there were 260 polling sites. Eight municipalities had no polling stations and in 12 the U.N. had seen no activity half way through the day. Putting up a wall of bright blue posters in Pristina to encourage a big turnout on October 28, Sami Kastrati said: ``We are getting ready for our elections, and we have nothing to do with this vote that's being held today. Those are elections of a foreign country.'' A U.N. spokesman in the divided northern city of Mitrovica said after touring polling stations in the Serb-dominated northern section that the city was generally quiet. The UN's witness teams check of the turnout was aimed at countering any exaggerated claims by the Milosevic regime, suspected of preparing massive electoral fraud to keep him in power. Kouchner said it had succeeded in heading off any claim that Kosovo Albanians had participated. ``This major effort by UNMIK has shown that there was no significant voting outside of predominantly Serb areas,'' he said. #3. Opposition Claiming Yugoslavia Vote By DUSAN STOJANOVIC BELGRADE, Yugoslavia (AP) - After an election Sunday marked by a large turnout and allegations of fraud, Yugoslavia's once struggling opposition claimed victory and urged Slobodan Milosevic to peacefully quit power after 13 years of hardline rule. Milosevic, however, showed no signs of conceding defeat. His spokesman, Nikola Sainovic, told reporters early Monday he doubted there would even be a need for a run-off vote - required if no candidate gets more than 50 percent - because ``our candidate is leading.'' The state election commission closed up for the night without announcing any official returns. Voting - in which the turnout was estimated at higher than 70 percent - was plagued Sunday by reports of blatant irregularities by Milosevic backers, including ballot box stuffing, the few domestic monitors watching the polls said. Still, two rival opposition parties said Milosevic was trailing his strongest challenger, Vojislav Kostunica, and that the best the Yugoslav president could hope for was to head into a runoff Oct. 8. They based the claims on counts by their own vote monitors. ``According to our count, the first-round victory is certain. Dawn is coming to Serbia. I'm excited,'' Kostunica said early Monday. ``I'm happy for the people and the country because it's almost the last moment to take the destiny in our hands. There is much work ahead.'' ``There is no doubt that we overwhelmingly won on all levels,'' said opposition campaign manager Zoran Djindjic. ``Milosevic has to seriously understand the judgment of history, and he shouldn't gamble any longer. He has to recognize the defeat. It seems, this is the end of his career.'' Confident of victory by an opposition that seemed hopelessly fragmented only months ago, huge crowds streamed into the streets of downtown Belgrade late Sunday to await official results. Helmeted riot police carrying shields and armed with tear gas launchers cordoned off the group but later withdrew after a concert by Milosevic's supporters ended. Similar gatherings were reported in Nis, Novi Sad, Cacak and several other towns in Yugoslavia's main republic Serbia. There were no reports of clashes, and early Monday the crowds in Belgrade were returning home. With no offical word on results, Western governments held late night consultations to determine how to respond if Milosevic rigs the count. In Washington, the State Department warned that ``the world is watching these elections and the response of the authorities in Belgrade very closely.'' In the voting, ``large numbers of the population ... expressed their wishes in an election where the choice was clear,'' spokesman Richard Boucher said. ``We congratulate the people of Yugoslavia on their commitment to democracy.'' Sainovic, who like Milosevic is under international indictment for war crimes, disputed the opposition claims of victory. He claimed that with 20 percent of the votes counted, Milosevic was leading by 44 percent while Kostunica had 41 percent. Those figures were different from those posted on the party's own web site, which showed Kostunica leading with 44 percent to 41 percent for Milosevic. Cedomir Jovanovic, spokesman of Kostunica's Democratic Opposition of Serbia, said that based on returns from 45 percent of 10,000 polling stations, Kostunica was leading with 57 percent to 33 percent for Milosevic. Three other candidates are in the race. The ultranationalist Serbian Radical Party, Milosevic's partner in Serbia's government, reported Kostunica leading Milosevic by 53.5 percent to 37.9 percent with about 20 percent of the votes counted. The party admitted its own candidate was defeated. The United States - which has invested millions of dollars in an attempt to organize the traditionally fractured Serbian opposition - has made ousting Milosevic a major goal, believing there can be no stability in the Balkans so long as he remains in power. The stakes were especially high in the voting, which also included selection of a new parliament and municipal governments. If Milosevic loses, he risks extradition to the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands, which indicted him last year for atrocities committed by his troops in Kosovo. He may also risk massive revenge by Yugoslavs tired of being an impoverished pariah country after a decade of his rule. The European Union has promised massive aid to Yugoslavia if Milosevic loses. Montenegro, the smaller republic that along with Serbia forms present-day Yugoslavia, said it would hold an independence referendum if Milosevic wins. Kostunica had been leading in opinion polls despite a campaign marred by a crackdown against opposition supporters, one-sided coverage by the staunchly pro-Milosevic media and the lack of broad-based foreign monitoring. The Center for Free Elections and Democracy, a private group including human rights workers, lawyers and other volunteers, reported a turnout of 74.6 percent in Yugoslavia's main republic Serbia. In the smaller republic of Montenegro - where the pro-Western government boycotted the vote - the turnout was only about 24 percent, the opposition said. Milosevic made no statement about the seemingly unfavorable returns. Earlier Sunday, he brushed aside accusations that he would rig the vote to stay in power, predicting prosperity after he wins and his troubled country is ``cleared up'' politically. The president's statement, made after he cast his ballot in the Dedinje district where he lives, may indicate he plans to crack down hard on political opponents - whom he has dubbed NATO lackeys and traitors - if he's declared the winner. The Center for Free Elections and Democracy reported major voting irregularities. They included opposition representatives being kicked out of polling stations or not allowed to inspect voters' lists, voting boxes and ballots. At many voting places, police were present in front of polling stations, and there was public - instead of secret - voting in southern regions of Serbia, according to the center, a nongovernmental organization which included human rights activists, lawyers and other pro-democracy volunteers. In the eastern town of Negotin, opposition representatives were banned from a polling station but managed to get in by force, only to find that the ballot boxes had been stuffed in advance with ballots for Milosevic, the Belgrade-based group said. ``There is an absolute mess in Serbia today,'' said Marko Blagojevic from independent monitoring group. ``I don't think elections like this were ever held anywhere, ever since the Stone Age.'' The government's electoral commission said the vote passed without irregularities, ``despite Western propaganda.'' Sainovic claimed Milosevic won ``overwhelmingly'' in Kosovo. However, the chief U.N. administrator in the province, Bernard Kouchner, said the ``so-called elections did not meet any international and European standards in terms of democracy.'' Most of the examples cited by the monitoring group could not be confirmed. However, in Kosovo, Western reporters saw cases where polling stations were never opened, where prominent opposition members were told their names were not on registration rolls or where voters had no privacy to mark their ballots. Others were turned away because their names did not appear on registration lists. Officials claimed that was a result of the turmoil that swept Kosovo during last year's conflict, which ended with the arrival of NATO-led peacekeepers. #4. Kostunica Claims Victory in Crucial Yugoslav Poll By Philippa Fletcher BELGRADE, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Opposition candidate Vojislav Kostunica on Monday predicted certain victory for himself over the veteran incumbent Slobodan Milosevic in Yugoslavia's presidential election. But while Kostunica said a first round triumph was guaranteed once official results of Sunday's election came through later in the week, Milosevic's Socialist Party were just as adamant that their figures showed Milosevic would keep power. Kostunica's followers took their cry of triumph to the streets. But in the absence of any official figures, uncertainty still hung over the outcome of the vote, the most serious electoral threat yet to Milosevic's 13-year rule. Milosevic, indicted for war crimes by a United Nations tribunal, has been accused by the West of planning to rig the election in any way necessary to ensure he remains in power. Changes in election rules, a lack of independent foreign monitoring and reports of intimidation of voters were all seen as stacking the vote in Milosevic's favour. The opposition says it is keen to publicise its version of early, partial results to prevent the authorities using fraud. ``According to our data for the presidential elections, victory in the first round is certain,'' Kostunica told reporters early on Monday. Earlier thousands of his supporters had danced and cheered to music in the capital Belgrade and other cities. WEST REMAINS CAUTIOUS ``Look how happy people are when they see even such a small sign of victory,'' said one of them, 25-year-old Pedja. The United States said the elections -- for president and parliament -- had been badly flawed and warned Milosevic that his response was being watched. The European Union was more cautious, saying it was too soon to declare an opposition victory. It said it was consulting closely with its allies, including Russia, on how to respond should Milosevic be re-elected by unfair means. Kostunica said data from 1,237 out of 10,000 polling stations gave him 54.05 percent support, compared to 33.81 percent for Milosevic. But the ruling Socialist Party said the president had a 44 to 41 percent lead over Kostunica, after trailing far behind him in independent pre-election polls. ``We still think our presidential candidate is in the lead and we think the voting can end in the first round,'' said Deputy Prime Minister Nikola Sainovic, a Milosevic loyalist. A candidate needs more than 50 percent of the vote to win outright without having to contest a second round. Intriguingly, the state news agency Tanjug, which usually prints only news favourable to the government, reported the Radical Party, former allies of Milosevic but now estranged, as saying that it reckoned Kostunica had an eight-point lead. Turnout appeared to have been high, at above 70 percent, which analysts said would benefit the opposition. British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook said the turnout showed the people of Serbia had ``seized the opportunity to vote for their democratic rights despite repeated systematic attempts by the Milosevic regime to bully and intimidate them.'' NO SIGNIFICANT VIOLENCE Fears that violence would be stoked to provide an excuse for a clampdown proved unjustified, with rival opposition and government rallies passing off peacefully in major cities. Opposition figures and a leading analyst said Milosevic would wait until later on Monday before responding to what they said would be an overwhelming defeat. ``There will be nothing from the authorities tonight. The ruling left is now in a state of panic,'' said Bratislav Grubacic of the VIP newsletter. ``They don't know how to come out with the real result since they know Kostunica is winning.'' There was some joy for Milosevic in the coastal republic of Montenegro, Serbia's smaller partner in the Yugoslav federation, where he won an easy victory. However, Montenegro accounts for less than six percent of registered Yugoslav voters and a boycott by the pro-Western government of the republic meant that those who turned out were largely Milosevic supporters. In Kosovo, the United Nations administrators sent out what it called mobile ``witnessing'' teams to check the turnout to ensure ballot-boxes could not be ``stuffed'' with the votes of Kosovo Albanians, estimated to total up to 1.8 million. Around 60,000 Kosovo Serbs, all that remains of a population of some 200,000 before last year's NATO air strikes, are eligible to vote. ``I can assure you that any claim of massive participation by Kosovo Albanians in the so-called FRY (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia) election in Kosovo would be a fiction or a manipulation,'' U.N. administrator Bernard Kouchner said.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |