| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Yugoslavia Steps Up Anti-West Talk/Yugoslav PM deals blow to Serb opposition hopesGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comThu Sep 21 23:00:35 EDT 2000
#1. Yugoslavia Steps Up Anti-West Talk By JOVANA GEC BELGRADE, Yugoslavia (AP) - Trailing in polls days before key elections, President Slobodan Milosevic's allies turned up their anti-Western propaganda campaign Thursday, claiming plots have been crafted abroad to bring the opposition to power in Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia's prime minister, meanwhile, said Milosevic would remain in office until the middle of next year even if he loses Sunday's vote because the constitution allows him to finish his current term, which expires in June. The comment, made by Prime Minister Momir Bulatovic to a private television station in Montenegro, was the clearest public sign so far that Milosevic will hang on to power regardless of the outcome of Sunday's vote. ``I absolutely believe President Milosevic will win the election,'' Bulatovic said. ``No matter, the president's mandate expires next year.'' Legal experts dispute Bulatovic's interpretation, noting the constitution also calls for a new president to be sworn in within 15 days of the election. Under previous rules, Milosevic was named by parliament in 1997 for a four-year term. But this year he changed the constitution to allow for direct elections and called an early ballot. Bulatovic's comments followed a day of increasingly confrontational rhetoric, in which a top Yugoslav army commander even claimed the West's plans may include infiltration of his troops during Sunday's elections. Such conspiracy theories have been spun for weeks by government officials, leading to fears that they were preparing ground for the possible annulment of the presidential, parliamentary and municipal elections if Milosevic loses - and force, if needed, against opposition supporters. The army chief of staff, Gen. Nebojsa Pavkovic, recently described the elections as ``D-Day'' for the army. On Thursday, he softened his customary all-out support for Milosevic by saying the military would recognize a victory by opposition candidate Vojislav Kostunica. But opposition supporters fear that is empty rhetoric, because - by declaring that any opposition win is in reality an anti-government coup - authorities have ruled out recognizing a defeat of Milosevic and his party in the presidential and parliamentary elections. Milosevic is shown trailing Kostunica in all polls published here ahead of the elections. The incumbent's popularity plummeted after last year's NATO bombing, which led to Milosevic's giving up Kosovo. Milosevic's key aide, Nikola Sainovic, said Thursday that a NATO-led campaign to remove Milosevic from power by force is at work in Western capitals. ``They (NATO and opposition) have created a whole structure and organization, and they are making such a fuss that it all became clear,'' said Sainovic, referring to growing optimism among pro-democracy Serbs about an election victory. The pro-Western president of Montenegro, the republic that along with Serbia makes up Yugoslavia, warned Thursday that Milosevic would use force to stay in power. ``I don't expect Milosevic will ever concede losing the ballot,'' Milo Djukanovic told The Associated Press. ``What's more, I am convinced that he will - if need be - use force.'' Chief of Staff Pavkovic, speaking on Montenegro's state TV, warned that foreign soldiers might try to move into Yugoslavia during elections and that his troops would be ready. ``As a serious army we have to be ready to prevent any surprises,'' Pavkovic said. ``If someone intervenes, there won't be peace.'' He told Tanjug the military will ``defend the country's freedom ... and a country cannot be free if it is colonized and enslaved.'' Independent analysts also predict that Milosevic will try to rig the vote in his favor. An independent election monitoring group claimed Thursday that it has come into possession of ballots with Milosevic's name already circled. ``He has so much to lose,'' Gen. Wesley Clark, NATO's former supreme allied commander, Europe, said of Milosevic. ``We have to anticipate anything that he will do to stay in power.'' Very few visas have been granted to Western journalists, and even nationals of the few countries who don't need visas but work for Western news organizations have been told they cannot enter the country without a special letter of authorization, which is rarely being issued. #2. Yugoslav PM deals blow to Serb opposition hopes By Fredrik Dahl BELGRADE, Sept 22 (Reuters) - A senior Yugoslav official has thrown a question mark over the outcome of crucial weekend elections by saying President Slobodan Milosevic, who called them, will serve his original four-year term whatever the result. Yugoslav Prime Minister Momir Bulatovic, a Montenegrin ally of the Serbian strongman, said the current presidential mandate would run until it expires in the middle of next year. ``Under the constitutional law, the mandate of the president cannot be shortened. It will last until its expiry, which will be until mid-2001,'' he told the private television station TV Elmag in Yugoslavia's smaller republic Montenegro on Thursday. The premier's remarks followed warnings by the army's chief of staff that the West planned to sabotage the polls, and it would intervene if they did. Milosevic, isolated internationally and indicted by a U.N. criminal for alleged war crimes, called the presidential and parliamentary polls for September 24 confidant that he could extend his term in power, and thereby guarantee his freedom. But independent opinion polls, dismissed as Western propaganda by the authorities, have shown him trailing well behind opposition candidate Vojislav Kostunica, fuelling opposition fears that he would declare victory whatever the result. Opponents of Milosevic had expressed concern that constitutional changes he pushed through parliament in July to pave the way for Sunday's vote left the timing of a possible handover of power unclear. MILOSEVIC TO ALSO NOMINATE PREMIER Bulatovic left no doubt as to the intentions of the authorities, also saying that Milosevic would nominate a prime minister after the presidential and parliamentary elections. Under the constitution, parliament votes on the presidential nominee for prime minister. Up to now the Yugoslav parliament has been packed with Milosevic loyalists and a boycott of Sunday's polls by the pro-Western leadership of Montenegro, which argues that they are unconstitutional, means this is likely to continue. The latest opinion polls also show the opposition parties ahead in elections for the parliament, but the Montenegro boycott would give Milosevic an in-built advantage, analysts said. Bulatovic was speaking as the Serbian opposition ended their campaign for political change in a determined mood, saying the time had come to oust Milosevic at the ballot box. On the last day of campaigning before a period of pre-election silence, tens of thousands of people attended separate events in the capital and in the northern city of Novi Sad on Thursday evening. Leaders of the Democratic Opposition of Serbia (DOS), a bloc grouping 18 parties and one trade union, led the rally in Novi Sad, the capital of Serbia's northern Vojvodina province. ``We are here with you in order to rid people of their fears and take the country out of darkness,'' one opposition leader, Momcilo Perisic of the Movement for Democratic Serbia, told a crowd of roughly 30,000 people. In Belgrade, around 20,000 people listened to rock music in a park beneath the Ottoman-era Kalemegdan fortress where the Sava and Danube rivers meet, braving pouring rain. ``Young people in Serbia are against Milosevic,'' said opposition activist Aleksandar Djukic. ``The last 10 years have been horrible for us.'' Serbian opposition leaders blame Milosevic for widespread poverty and international isolation following the violent disintegration of old socialist Yugoslavia in the 1990s, vowing to implement radical reform if they come to power. Milosevic, with a tight grip on state media, has launched a fierce counter attack, describing his opponents at carefully choreographed campaign rallies as enemies to the people paid by the West to destroy Serbia. The Yugoslav army echoed government warnings of Western plans to sabotage the vote. ARMY CHIEF WARNS AGAINST OUTSIDE INTERFERENCE Chief-of-staff General Nebojsa Pavkovic was quoted as saying the army knew of a plan for disturbances on election day ``provoked by special units of foreign armed forces who would be infiltrated into Yugoslav territory.'' ``If someone interferes from outside, it will not be quiet,'' Beta news agency cited him as telling Montenegrin state television in an interview late on Wednesday. But Kostunica hit back, saying his opponent would have neither army or police on his side if he tried to use force. ``We have reports that the army is not ready to be pushed into a Serb-Serb conflict. Neither are police,'' he told a local independent television station, vowing that the opposition would defend every single vote. Perisic, a former Yugoslav army chief, also appeared unfazed, telling the rally in Novi Sad: ``They are frightening us with the army, but the army was always with the people. Whoever abuses force will be the first to suffer from that force.''
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |