| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] {QIKSH «ALBEUROPA»} NEWS: SEVERAL sources: Kostunica admits Kosovo guilt (24 October, 2000)Wolfgang Plarre wplarre at bndlg.deTue Oct 24 17:39:55 EDT 2000
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_988000/988602.stm Tuesday, 24 October, 2000, 14:53 GMT Kostunica admits Kosovo guilt Before they left Kosovo, Serbian soldiers had been active Yugoslavia's new president, Vojislav Kostunica, has acknowledged for the first time that the Serbian army and police force carried out large-scale killings in Kosovo last year. The admission is in contrast to former President Slobodan Milosevic's insistence that the West was to blame for stirring up ethnic conflict. It is the first time that any Yugoslav leader has accepted responsibility and expressed regret for any of the conflicts in the Balkans over the past decade. "I am ready to... accept the guilt for all those people who have been killed," Mr Kostunica said. "For what Milosevic had done, and as a Serb, I will take responsibility for many of these crimes." In the interview, to be screened on the US network CBS News, Mr Kostunica said that Serbs, as well as ethnic Albanians, had suffered. "I must say also there are a lot of crimes on the other side and the Serbs have been killed," he said. Crackdown Former President Milosevic launched a crackdown on ethnic Albanian nationalists in Kosovo in 1998. Thousands of ethnic Albanian civilians were killed and tens of thousands of others fled their homes and the country. Mr Milosevic has been charged by the International Criminal Tribunal in The Hague for atrocities committed in Kosovo. Since coming to power, President Kostunica has not taken action to arrest his predecessor, because, he said, there were "too many things to be done at this moment, too many priorities. "Before anything else we are in need of democracy being consolidated in this country. By opening the questions of The Hague, that democracy may be put into question." President Kostunica has in the past questioned the legitimacy of the court, saying it was a Western political institution. Asked by CBS whether he thought Mr Milosevic would ever stand trial, President Kostunica replied: "Somewhere, yes." _______________________________________________________________________ http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20001024/aponline111034_000.htm Kostunica Acknowledges War Killings By Katarina Kratovac Associated Press Writer Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2000; 11:10 a.m. EDT BELGRADE, Yugoslavia -- Yugoslavia's new president has admitted for the first time in a television interview that Yugoslav army and police forces committed widespread killings in Kosovo last year. Vojislav Kostunica's remarks marked the first time any Yugoslav leader accepted responsibility and expressed remorse for any of the conflicts in the last decade in the Balkans. His remarks were reported as the new president scored a significant victory Tuesday, persuading the Serbian parliament to approve a power-sharing administration to run Yugoslavia's main republic until early elections in December. Those elections will give the democracy forces a chance to remove the last major bastion of Milosevic support within the Yugoslav leadership. Milosevic has never admitted wrongdoing in Kosovo, steadfastly blaming the West for fomenting violence in the region. He was indicted last year for war crimes by the international court in The Hague for atrocities committed by his troops in Kosovo. "I am ready to ... accept the guilt for all those people who have been killed," Kostunica told CBS News' "60 Minutes II," according to a transcript. "For what Milosevic had done, and as a Serb, I will take responsibility for many of these, these crimes." Asked whether Yugoslav forces were guilty of genocide in the southern province of Kosovo, Kostunica admitted that crimes had occurred, but that both Serbs and ethnic Albanians were killed. The interview was to be aired Tuesday night. "Those are the crimes and the people that have been killed are victims," Kostunica said, adding "there are a lot of crimes on the other side and the Serbs have been killed." Under Milosevic, Yugoslav forces launched a massive crackdown on ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo in 1998. Thousands of ethnic Albanian civilians were killed and tens of thousands of others forced to flee their homes. Milosevic depicted the crackdown as a heroic attempt to save Serbia's medieval heartland from independence-minded ethnic Albanian extremists. He and four of his officials were charged by the U.N. war crimes tribunal last year for atrocities committed in Kosovo. Since taking power after a popular revolt, Kostunica has moved to bring about democratic changes and has shown willingness to cooperate with the tribunal. He has not yet moved to arrest Milosevic, saying the tribunal was a political entity created by the West and that his country doesn't recognize it. Asked by CBS whether he thought Milosevic would ever stand trial, Kostunica replied, "somewhere, yes." Milosevic's party still holds a significant amount of power, which has prevented Kostunica's camp from pushing through much needed democratic reforms. Prospects for change improved significantly, however, when Serbia's parliament voted Tuesday replace Serbia's republican government with a transition administration until early elections are held on Dec. 23. Milosevic's party holds 110 of the 250 seats in the republican legislature. Under the formula, the current Serbian government will be replaced by a temporary one in which pro-democracy forces will share power to prevent any rigging of the balloting. Previously, the legislature wasn't due for new elections until the fall of 2001. Parliamentary approval came after Milosevic's former allies in the Radical Party accused Kostunica's camp of staging a "coup" by forcing changes in the republican administration. The Radicals, which hold 82 seats in the 250-seat assembly, filibustered for seven hours, forcing parliament to adjourn its session without a vote on the reorganization plan. The assembly met again Tuesday, although the session was delayed after Radicals walked out to protest a decision by state television not to broadcast the event. Yugoslavia is a federation made up of Serbia and smaller Montenegro - each with their own elected governments. Kosovo is a province of Serbia, but the United Nations and NATO took over the province in June 1999 following NATO's 78-day bombing of Yugoslavia. Kosovo Serbs, the minority in the province, now commonly complain of being the target of attacks. A rocket-propelled grenade exploded Monday at a neighborhood where most remaining Serbs in Kosovo's capital of Pristina live. It blew a hole in one of the buildings. © Copyright 2000 The Associated Press _______________________________________________________________________ http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_94337.html?nav_src=newsIndexHeadline New president admits to Yugoslav crimes in Kosovo Yugoslavia's new president has admitted that army and police forces committed widespread killings in Kosovo last year. Vojislav Kostunica's remarks mark the first time any Yugoslav has accepted responsibility and expressed remorse for any of the conflicts in the last decade in the Balkans. Former president Slobodan Milosevic steadfastly blamed the West for aggravating violence in the region, and never admitted any wrongdoing in Kosovo. "I am ready to ... accept the guilt for all those people who have been killed," Mr Kostunica said. "For what Milosevic had done, and as a Serb, I will take responsibility for many of these, these crimes." Asked by CBS News "60 Minutes II," whether Yugoslav forces were guilty of genocide in the southern province of Kosovo, Mr Kostunica admitted that crimes had occurred, but that both Serbs and ethnic Albanians were killed.. "Those are the crimes and the people that have been killed are victims," Mr Kostunica said, adding "there are a lot of crimes on the other side and the Serbs have been killed." Under Milosevic, Yugoslav forces have launched a massive crackdown on ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo in 1998. Thousands of ethnic Albanian civilians were killed and tens of thousands of others were forced to flee their homes. Milosevic depicted the crackdown as a heroic attempt to save Serbia's medieval heartland from independence-minded ethnic Albanian extremists. He and four of his officials were charged by the UN war crimes tribunal last year for atrocities committed in Kosovo. Since taking power after a popular revolt, Mr Kostunica has moved to bring about democratic changes and has shown willingness to cooperate with the tribunal. He has not yet moved to arrest Milosevic, saying the tribunal is a political entity created by the West and that his country doesn't recognize it. Asked whether he thought Milosevic would ever stand trial, Mr Kostunica replied, "somewhere, yes." Last updated: 10:11 Tuesday 24th October 2000. Copyright © 2000 Ananova Ltd _______________________________________________________________________ http://www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/480fa8736b88bbc3c12564f6004c8ad5/0b21227573893ca5c12569820058c6ad?OpenDocument Source: Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty Date: 24 Oct 2000 Yugoslav President admits Serbian war crimes in Kosova Vojislav Kostunica told the U.S. television news program "60 Minutes II" that he is "ready to...accept the guilt [sic] for all those people who have been killed. [I acknowledge] what [former President Slobodan] Milosevic had done, and as a Serb, I will take responsibility for many of these, these crimes," AP reported on 24 October. He made the statement in response to a question about whether Serbian forces were guilty of genocide in Kosova in 1999. Kostunica added: "Those are the crimes and the people that have been killed are victims. [But] there are a lot of crimes on the other side [as well]. Serbs have been killed." Asked whether he thought Milosevic will stand trial for his crimes, Kostunica replied: "Somewhere, yes." This is the first time that a top-ranking Serbian leader has admitted that Serbian forces committed war crimes. Most opposition leaders prefer not to discuss the subject or give evasive answers. Officials of the Milosevic regime and many nationalists place the blame on "Albanian separatists and terrorists" and "NATO bombs." PM © 2000 RFE/RL, Inc. All Rights Reserved. _______________________________________________________________________ http://www.centraleurope.com/yugoslaviatoday/news.php3?id=212652 Kostunica Acknowledges Kosovo Genocide NEW YORK, Oct 24, 2000 -- (Reuters) President Vojislav Kostunica has acknowledged that Yugoslav security forces committed genocide in Kosovo and said he was ready to take responsibility for crimes committed by his predecessor Slobodan Milosevic. Milosevic, who has been indicted by a UN court for his security forces' crimes against members of Kosovo's ethnic Albanian majority, was forced by a mass uprising to admit defeat to Kostunica in last month's elections. Kosovo legally remains part of Serb-dominated Yugoslavia but has been run as a de facto international protectorate since June last year, when NATO bombing drove out Serb forces. In an interview with CBS's "60 Minutes II", released on Monday and to be aired on Tuesday, Kostunica was asked if there was any doubt that the Yugoslav army and police were guilty of genocide in Kosovo. "Those are the crimes and the people that have been killed are victims," the president responded, adding: "I must say also there are a lot of crimes on the other side and the Serbs have been killed. "I am ready to, how to say, to accept the guilt for all those people who have been killed so I'm trying to, taking responsibility for what happened on my part. For what Milosevic had done and as a Serb I will take responsibility for many of these, these crimes," On whether Milosevic would stand trial somewhere, Kostunica replied: "Yes, somewhere." Asked about Serb crimes against humanity, he said Milosevic was "among those responsible." Kostunica said his government had not arrested Milosevic because there were "too many things to be done at this moment, too many priorities." The president also said "before anything else we are in need of democracy being, how to say, consolidated in this country. By opening the questions of the Hague (court) that democracy may be put into question." After the sacking of the parliament building in Belgrade, Kostunica said he had feared a visit from the security forces. "We were somewhere between democracy and revolution. And I must say that that morning I went to bed and had the specific feeling that someone might knock at my door." Asked if had feared arrest, he replied: "Exactly." (C)2000 Copyright Reuters Limited -------------------------- eGroups Sponsor -------------------------~-~> eGroups eLerts It's Easy. It's Fun. Best of All, it's Free! http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/8/_/920292/_/972426079/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------_-> Nëse don të çregjistrohesh nga ALBEUROPA, dërgo një Email në: albeuropa-unsubscribe at egroups.com
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |