| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Opposition sees Yugoslav poll court ruling as trickGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comWed Oct 4 22:10:59 EDT 2000
Opposition sees Yugoslav poll court ruling as trick By Philippa Fletcher BELGRADE, Oct 5 (Reuters) - Yugoslavia's Constitutional Court said it had annulled part of the presidential election which the opposition has accused President Slobodan Milosevic of rigging, in what his rival said was a trick to gain time. Vojislav Kostunica, who insists he defeated Milosevic outright at the September 24 poll, said he feared the court ruling, announced briefly late on Wednesday, might be a trap. ``At first glance it might look like a concession by Slobodan Milosevic, but I am afraid that it's a question of a big trap and so there's no need to be euphoric,'' Kostunica told the independent Beta news agency. Kostunica, a constitutional lawyer, said he had not seen the original of the court's decision, which was announced in a brief report by the state news agency Tanjug. ``In any case, I think that Milosevic is weaker than ever today, which is evident from the fact that he must use various tricks to gain time,'' he said. The ruling came in response to a complaint by the opposition, which says the vote was rigged to rob Kostunica of a first round victory. Legal experts said it was not clear if it meant a recount -- what the opposition wants -- or a rerun of the whole vote. Zoran Djindjic, leader of the opposition Democratic Party, said he had information that the decision actually meant the annulment of the entire first round, which the authorities would try to rerun in a few months' time. He did not say where the information came from. CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE CAMPAIGN The opposition launched a country-wide civil disobedience campaign this week to try to force Milosevic to back down and at the same time lodged a complaint with the Constitutional Court -- the legal body of last appeal -- on Monday. The deadline for the court to rule was 48 hours after the opposition complaint was lodged but it was not immediately clear at what time the complaint actually reached the court. The opposition has called on people from all over Serbia to come to Belgrade on Thursday to put pressure on the authorities. Tanjug said the details of the decision would be published on Thursday. Some opposition activists said they thought the authorities were waiting to see how many people turned up at the demonstration before deciding what to do. Earlier on Wednesday the court had held what it called a public debate with opposition representatives, who said court representatives had been very polite and had given them some of the controversial voting records they had sought. ``The Federal Constitutional Court, after a public debate, unanimously decided...to annul a part of the election procedure for the election of the president of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia which relates to voting, establishing and publishing results of the ballot from September 24, 2000,'' Tanjug said. Djindjic said the ruling meant the authorities, who are under pressure from the protest campaign, would declare the whole election invalid and crack down on any protests. ``According to the information I have they annulled the first round,'' Djindjic told Reuters Television News. ``Now they are trying to annul the whole thing and have elections in two or three months and in the meantime excercise repression against all these people who are part of the protests and strikes,'' he said. Tanjug said the court's decision was still being written and could be expected to be published in detail on Thursday. ``Then all details of the unanimous decision will be known.'' Djordje Mamula, from the party led by Milosevic challenger Vojislav Kostunica, said it looked deliberately ambiguous. ``They are buying time because there is a possibility that the entire presidential vote will be postponed,'' he said. Dragor Hibir, who was at one point on the Federal Electoral Commission as an opposition representative, said it could mean any one of three things. ``It could mean cancelling the first round, cancelling part of the vote in Kosovo, or only be related to the work of the Federal Electoral Commission.'' Nenad Milic, the head of the opposition bloc's legal team, said the complaint it had lodged with the court concerned the results from the two towns where votes from the province of Kosovo -- now under international control -- were counted. The opposition also complained about the decision to hold a runoff vote between Milosevic and Kostunica on October 8. The opposition insists Kostunica won outright in the first round. Milic stressed that they had not asked for a revote.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |