Google
  Web alb-net.com   
[Alb-Net home] [AMCC] [KCC] [other mailing lists]

List: ALBSA-Info

[ALBSA-Info] UPDATE 2-Yugoslav opposition head rejects Moscow talks

Gazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.com
Wed Oct 4 22:07:37 EDT 2000


UPDATE 2-Yugoslav opposition head rejects Moscow talks

In MOSCOW datedlined story headlined ``Yugoslav opposition head rejects 
Moscow talks,'' please read in seventh para...Milosevic did not respond to 
the Russian offer...instead of...Milosevic did respond to the Russian offer. 

(adds dropped word ``not'') 

A corrected version follows. 

By Peter Graff 

MOSCOW, Oct 4 (Reuters) - Opposition leader Vojislav Kostunica rejected 
Moscow's offer on Wednesday to host talks to resolve Yugoslavia's election 
dispute, saying it would be ``irresponsible'' for him to leave his country. 

The remarks, made to Russian television, killed off the most important 
diplomatic initiative left on the table for ending confrontation ahead of 
Sunday's second round presidential poll, which Kostunica says he will 
boycott. 

``We are now in a situation in which I would consider it irresponsible to 
leave the country because of the tension in the country, the strikes and 
protests,'' he said in a live interview through a translator. 

Russian President Vladimir Putin, on a trip to India this week, had offered 
on Monday to host Kostunica and incumbent President Slobodan Milosevic in 
Moscow to end their standoff. 

Kostunica thanked Putin and the Russian government for their offer, but said 
the proposal was too vague and criticised Moscow for failing to back his 
claim that a first round poll held on September 24 was flawed. 

``A great country like Russia cannot but have tremendous influence in the 
Balkans. But its position has to be made more clear,'' he said. He made 
similar comments in an earlier interview with Spanish radio. 

Milosevic did not respond to the Russian offer. 

MOSCOW STEPS GINGERLY 

Russia has been stepping carefully since entering the Yugoslavia fray with 
mediation offers at the weekend. 

Yugoslavia's electoral commission says Kostunica fell just short of an 
outright 50 percent majority in the first round, and has ordered a runoff to 
take place on Sunday. Kostunica and most Western countries say he won 
outright and that the official first-round result includes bogus votes for 
Milosevic. 

But Moscow says the official results are valid unless a Yugoslav court rules 
otherwise, and has given its blessing to a second round. Russia has left open 
the possibility that the sides could negotiate for a recount of the first 
round. 

Western diplomats say the Kremlin believes in private that Kostunica won 
outright in the first round, but is reluctant to say so openly for fear of 
losing leverage on Milosevic. 

They say Russian officials may think Kostunica would win the runoff, and that 
such a victory would give him more legitimacy than he would have if he 
challenged the first round result. 

The issue has stirred emotions in Russia, where ordinary people as well as 
their government strongly opposed NATO's bombing of Yugoslavia last year. 
Russian officials say the West has made the situation worse by picking sides. 

``Those who bombed Yugoslavia are now trying to dictate who will be president 
there!'' nationalist parliamentarian Alexei Mitrofanov told the State Duma 
lower house. 

``What insolent snouts!'' 

The Duma unanimously adopted a resolution saying the first round was ``fully 
in keeping with Yugoslav law and international norms'' and calling on the 
West to end ``all forms of pressure.'' 

A small number of Russian liberal leaders have said that Moscow should back 
Kostunica and distance itself from Milosevic. 



More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list