| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Milosevic challenger slams U.S. and RussiaGazhebo at aol.com Gazhebo at aol.comTue Oct 3 00:28:07 EDT 2000
Milosevic challenger slams U.S. and Russia By Julijana Mojsilovic BELGRADE, Oct 2 (Reuters) - Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic's election challenger slammed Russian and the United States on Monday, accusing Moscow of indecision and Washington of indirectly helping Milosevic's cause. Vojislav Kostunica, hoping popular demonstrations will force Milosevic to concede defeat in the September 24 poll, said the Russians, who have offered to mediate but issued ambiguous statements, had not made up their minds what to do. ``The Russian policy has so far been indecisive and reluctant, I would say unnecessarily so. It could be described as taking one step forward and one step back,'' Kostunica told a news conference. ``The Russians don't have a specific and concrete position on the situation in Yugoslavia,'' he added.'' Russian President Vladimir Putin issued a statement earlier on Monday in which he offered to mediate between Milosevic and Kostunica, referring to them as candidates in a second election round. Kostunica insists he won outright in the first round. ``We caught Milosevic pickpocketing us and he will have to give us back our votes,'' Kostunica said. ``Any elections held on October 8 will be illegitimate.'' He also said the United States had helped to turn the presidential election into a matter of survival for Milosevic by insisting he stand trial for war crimes before a U.N. tribunal. ``The policy of the current U.S. authorities, whether they praise Milosevic as they have in the past or threaten him with The Hague tribunal as they are doing now, actually supports him but I think this support will be short-lived,'' Kostunica said. ``In fact, it could be a matter of life and death for some figures of the current U.S. administration,'' he added of Washington's apparent determination to oust Milosevic before the U.S. presidential election. BIGGER PROTEST WAVE? Kostunica said protests launched by his supporters across Serbia on Monday were much more effective than demonstrations after local elections in 1996, which took three months to persuade Milosevic to accept an opposition victory. ``The whole of Serbia is on its feet now and this is a situation where people lead the parties rather than vice versa,'' he said. ``The people's will for change has grown into discontent that can't be stopped.'' Protests brought a string of towns to a halt on Monday, but failed to make much impact on key state institutions in the capital, where sporadic road blockades lasted just a few hours. Kostunica said he would travel through Serbia later on Monday to express gratitude to all those who voted for the main opposition bloc and to ``appease'' those who voted for Milosevic. But he poured cold water on a suggestion that Milosevic could become prime minister, an idea put forward by a senior official from the ruling coalition and also by Milosevic's brother, who is envoy in Moscow. Kostunica said the post rightfully belonged to Predrag Bulatovic, the deputy leader of the pro-Belgrade Socialist People's Party in Yugoslavia's smaller republic Montenegro. Bulatovic, the party's most popular figure, is a moderate who has shown signs of being at odds with Milosevic.
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |