| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] {QIKSH «ALBEUROPA»} PRESS: Serbs raise spectre of renewed Kosovo war (Times, NOVEMBER 23 2000)Wolfgang Plarre wplarre at bndlg.deThu Nov 23 14:40:16 EST 2000
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,40295,00.html THURSDAY NOVEMBER 23 2000 Serbs raise spectre of renewed Kosovo war BY RICHARD BEESTON, DIPLOMATIC EDITOR BELGRADE gave warning yesterday that it could be on the verge of a "large-scale war" with Kosovo, after suspected ethnic Albanian rebels carried out a two-pronged attack on Serb targets, leaving half a dozen people dead. In the most serious outbreak of fighting since moderates replaced the Milosevic regime in September, hundreds of ethnic Albanian separatist guerrillas reportedly crossed the administrative border from Kosovo and raided police units. Hours later in Pristina, capital of the province, a building used by the Yugoslav representative was ripped apart by a huge bomb explosion early in the morning. Nato's Kfor peacekeeping force said that one man had been killed in the attack and two injured. Lieutenant General Carlo Cabigiosu, the Kfor commander, said that more Nato troops would put on street patrol to deter further actions. Bernard Kouchner, the United Nations chief administrator in Kosovo, said that the bombing had been well-prepared and was aimed at blocking attempts at Serb-Albanian reconciliation. "The extremists are now ready to step up their targeting of the Serb community," M Kouchner said. In the earlier incident, four Serb policemen were reportedly killed at the border village of Konculj, in the Presevo Valley, in a raid by Albanian fighters that began on Tuesday and continued overnight. Zoran Djindjic, a moderate in the newly elected Government of President Kostunica, said that the guerrillas had surrounded scores of policemen. He said the situation was so serious that the special police - earlier accused of war crimes in Kosovo - should be brought back to help restore security. "Those are big clashes," said Mr Djindjic, claiming that the Albanians were armed with mortars and other heavy weapons. "This could lead to a large-scale war . . . We are warning the international community that if it tolerates this, there could be another flashpoint in the Balkans." He said that the rebels were operating in the three-mile demilitarised zone along the administrative border, from which Serb troops are barred. Nato acknowledged that it was trying to seal the rugged border, which runs along the American eastern sector of Kosovo. However, it insisted that the actions were taking place outside its area of operations. The group responsible for the raid is probably the Liberation Army of Presevo, Bujanovac and Medvedjam, a splinter group which surfaced after the Kosovo Liberation Army was disbanded last year. There have been fears of an upsurge in Albanian attacks ever since Mr Kostunica ousted Slobodan Milosevic during presidential elections. The West has welcomed Mr Kostunica, provided money for Serbia and reopened diplomatic relations with Belgrade. Kosovo Albanians fear that the rapprochement makes their chances of winning independence ever more remote. The former KLA leaders, who have stockpiled weapons despite Kfor's attempts to disarm them, suffered a second setback last month when the moderate Albanian nationalist Ibrahim Rugova won municipal elections in Kosovo. The danger is not only that the region could be plunged back into war, but that this time Kfor peacekeeping troops could be caught in the middle. Copyright 2000 Times Newspapers Ltd -------------------------- eGroups Sponsor -------------------------~-~> eGroups eLerts It's Easy. It's Fun. Best of All, it's Free! http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/3/_/920292/_/975037506/ ---------------------------------------------------------------------_-> Nëse don të çregjistrohesh nga ALBEUROPA, dërgo një Email në: albeuropa-unsubscribe at egroups.com
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |