| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] FW: RFE/RL BALKAN REPORT, Vol. 4, No. 49, 30 June 2000Mimoza Meholli mehollim at hotmail.comSat Jul 1 12:38:31 EDT 2000
>From: "Jim Satterwhite" <satterwhitej at bluffton.edu> >Reply-To: <satterwhitej at bluffton.edu> >To: <satterwhitej at bluffton.edu> >Subject: FW: RFE/RL BALKAN REPORT, Vol. 4, No. 49, 30 June 2000 >Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:40:36 -0400 > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: RFE/RL List Manager [mailto:listmanager at list.rferl.org] >Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 10:50 AM >To: balkanreport at list.rferl.org >Subject: RFE/RL BALKAN REPORT, Vol. 4, No. 49, 30 June 2000 > > >RADIO FREE EUROPE/RADIO LIBERTY, PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC >___________________________________________________________ >RFE/RL BALKAN REPORT >Vol. 4, No. 49, 30 June 2000 > >A Twice-Weekly Review of Politics, Media and Radio Free >Europe/Radio Liberty Broadcasts in the western Balkans. > >______________________________________ >HEADLINES > * THE APOLOGY > * MULTIETHNIC LIVING IN KOSOVA >______________________________________ > >THE APOLOGY. An apology has sent shock-waves around much of >the former Yugoslavia. It may not have solved all the >problems between Montenegro and Croatia, but it certainly has >generated much discussion. > Croatian President Stipe Mesic and his Montenegrin >counterpart Milo Djukanovic discussed "practical issues" >including economic cooperation and cross-border traffic in >Cavtat near Dubrovnik on 24 June. But Djukanovic also said: >"I'd like to express in my name and behalf of Montenegro...my >sincerest apologies to all citizens of Croatia and especially >of Dubrovnik...for all the pain and suffering and material >losses inflicted by Montenegrins" during the Belgrade-led >campaign against Croatia in 1991 and 1992. > He added that "Montenegro has paid a dear price [for its >participation in the conflict.] We have paid in the lives of >our people, the severance of traditional good ties between >Croatia and Montenegro, and our banishment from the >international community." > Djukanovic, in fact, was Montenegrin prime minister when >Yugoslav forces shelled Dubrovnik and often tipsy Montenegrin >reservists and other forces pillaged Cavtat, Dubrovnik >airport's duty-free shop, and several other places in the >area. "Vesti" published a 1992 photo of then-Montenegrin >President Momir Bulatovic and Djukanovic together with their >troops in the rain. One Serbian observer commented tongue-in- >cheek that the Djukanovic in the picture "must have been the >double" of the current Montenegrin leader. > His remarks in Cavtat were not Djukanovic's first >expression of good intentions toward Croatia. In 1999, he >thanked the Zagreb leadership for allowing him to fly in and >out of Dubrovnik on his travels to promote Montenegro's case >before the international community. > Returning to his latest remarks, most leading Croatian >politicians reacted positively to Djukanovic's apology, >"Jutarnji list" reported on 26 June. Most political leaders >added, however, that Djukanovic's remarks were prompted by >the pragmatic need to improve relations with Zagreb and that >the question of Montenegrin responsibility for the 1991 >conflict remains open. > Deputy Prime Minister Goran Granic said that Podgorica >will now have to follow up on Djukanovic's words with >concrete deeds. Opposition leader Vladimir Seks noted that >Djukanovic did not offer to pay for war damages or to assist >the Hague tribunal in investigating and indicting >Montenegrins who committed atrocities during the conflict. >(Djukanovic subsequently told the weekly "Nacional" that >Montenegro will pay damages "if necessary" but did not >elaborate.) > But there was little or no sympathy for Djukanovic in >Serbia, even from most of the opposition. So far, neither >Milosevic nor his top aides have made any public statements >on Djukanovic's remarks, but Belgrade's state-run Tanjug news >agency quickly and sharply criticized the Montenegrin leader. >Tanjug charged that Djukanovic "practically praised Mesic for >his secessionist policies...which led to the tragic events in >former Yugoslavia." The news agency added that Mesic had >demanded as precondition for the meeting that the Montenegrin >apologize "for something that never existed--the alleged >aggression against Croatia." (Mesic was slated to be the >rotating chairman of the former Yugoslav collective >presidency in 1991, but then-Serbian President Slobodan >Milosevic and his allies--including Montenegro--prevented >Mesic from taking office.) > The state-run Belgrade daily "Politika" on 26 June also >criticized Djukanovic. The daily wrote that he has given in >to "blackmail" and "soiled the reputation of the proud >Montenegrins by dropping to his knees before...Mesic...[and >the ] Ustashe." (Mesic is an outspoken anti-fascist.) > Velizar Nikcevic, who heads the pro-Milosevic Serbian >People's Party in Montenegro, charged that Djukanovic's >"gesture is a continuation of the policy of servility, >treachery, hate, and provoking conflicts among his own >people.... The Montenegrin regime is entering the last phase >of treason," Reuters reported. > But that was not all--even the opposition was generally >critical of the Montenegrin leader. The Democratic Party's >Vojislav Kostunica said in Belgrade on 24 June that >Djukanovic "during the war not only implemented but literally >created the policy of Montenegro and Yugoslavia, but he is >now representing himself differently.... He came to power by >manipulating the deepest national and patriotic sentiments. >Now he is denying all that and is starting a new ruse." > In a slightly more sympathetic vein, Alliance for Change >leader Vladan Batic said that Djukanovic "must have had his >reasons [for apologizing]...probably related to interests of >Montenegro." Batic added that it is Djukanovic's right as >president to make such an apology if he so chooses. > But Predrag Simic, who is foreign policy spokesman for >Vuk Draskovic's Serbian Renewal Movement, hailed the apology >as "not a move of a politician, but of a statesman who wants >the past to become part of history, to take a new direction." >Simic added that the apology "opens the question of the cause >and the purpose of the war" for the citizens of Serbia and >Montenegro. These remarks are striking, not only because they >differ from most of the public statements by Serbian >political figures but also because they differ greatly from >some of Simic's earlier remarks about Djukanovic. > It seems that public apologies from important figures >have become something of a phenomenon--albeit a sometimes >controversial one--in recent times. Perhaps the most >successful in terms of his credibility among his intended >audience has been Pope John Paul II--and this on more than >one occasion. > Elsewhere, some Western politicians have provoked mixed >reactions by apologizing for things that happened long before >they were born, and in some cases in places where their own >ancestors were not living at the time. Perhaps the least >successful in apologizing have been Japanese leaders, >because, as a recent commentary in the "Far Eastern Economic >Review" pointed out, their intended audiences generally >regard the apologies as incomplete and insincere. > In any event, it appears that many Croats are inclined >at least to give Djukanovic the benefit of the doubt >regarding his remarks and are willing to continue a dialogue. >But his words alone will not be enough. It is difficult to >see how he will be able to avoid some form of investigation >into Montenegro's role in 1991-1992, with the possibility >that some of the leaders and tipsy looters may face a day in >court. That is clear from the announcement by Croatian >Justice Minister Stjepan Ivanisevic on 27 June that his >government wants the Hague-based tribunal to launch an >investigation of the Dubrovnik campaign. (Patrick Moore) > >MULTIETHNIC LIVING IN KOSOVA (PART I). One year ago last >week, the Yugoslav Army and Serbian police and paramilitaries >evacuated Kosova, and NATO-led peacekeeping forces entered >the province. Nearly 1 million forcibly-exiled Kosovar >Albanians returned home to a devastated land, while the >majority of Kosova's Serbian community fled the province out >of fear of retribution. RFE/RL correspondent Jolyon Naegele >visited the ethnically-mixed village of Binaq in southern >Kosova to see how residents are faring one year later. > Binaq is a deceptively idyllic village nestled in the >foothills of the Black Mountains of southeastern Kosova, an >assortment of old Serbian farm houses, newer Albanian houses, >a modern Roman Catholic church, and an older Serbian Orthodox >church. The nearest mosque is a short walk down the road in >the larger village of Kabash. The tall minarets of other >mosques in hillside hamlets glisten further up the slopes. > At present, Binaq is home to some 850 Albanian >Catholics, a few Muslim families, and about 150 Serbs--only >about one-third of the number of Serbs in the village before >the Belgrade regime capitulated to NATO one year ago. The >rest of the Serbs have since fled to Serbia. > Although Catholics are a tiny minority in Kosova as a >whole, they make up the majority of the Albanian population >in Binaq, Kabash, and the district center, Viti. Most of >these Catholics are known as "Karadak"--Turkish for Black >Mountain--and although their forebears were forced by Ottoman >Turkey to accept Islam, they secretly maintained their Roman >Catholicism. > June 13 was Saint Anthony's Day, the patron saint of the >local Roman Catholic church. Several hundred Catholic >Albanians--some of the women dressed in Turkish-style >pantaloons--were gathered in sweltering heat for an open-air >mass. > As a chorus of villagers sings in Latin, KFOR >reconnaissance helicopters clatter overhead. U.S. KFOR foot >patrols amble through the village, chatting with children, as >the congregation recites the Lord's Prayer in Albanian. > In mid-June, there were several shootings just over the >hills on the Macedonian side of the border. But down in >Binaq, the tensions are of a different sort. They are between >Albanian and Serbian neighbors. > The village priest, Don Lush Gjergji, says coexistence >is possible as long as it is based on three points: >international protection for all ethnic groups, >demilitarization and disarmament, and the local tradition of >good multiethnic relations: "So now, this is not the time for >war or fighting, but rather it is a time to struggle for >values and virtues. The time has come to go forward by >increasing [emphasis on] these values and to defeat evil." > Don Lush Gjergji adds that "there must either be freedom >for all or freedom for none." He says the post-war period is >difficult for everyone. "First of all we have to conserve >what has been built over the centuries, so that nothing is >destroyed. We have to condemn evil in the direction whence it >came and we must seek and build for the common good, because >life, truth, justice, peace, love, forgiveness are neither >Serbian nor Albanian but universal [values]." > The Catholic priest says he cooperates well with the >Orthodox priest and the Muslim imam. He says that after the >Yugoslav Army (VJ) withdrew one year ago, he told his Serbian >Orthodox colleague that if anyone were to threaten him, he >would always have a place to stay in the Catholic priest's >home. "Now, the security of Serbs is threatened. As long as >even one citizen of Kosova is threatened, I personally feel >threatened. Because, as a Catholic cleric, as a writer, as an >intellectual, I am on the side of the little people, the >persecuted, the devastated." > As Don Lush Gjergji puts it, "the international >community did not come here to pit Albanians against Serbs, >but for the good of everyone." He says he feels he represents >everyone in the community, not just the Albanian Catholics, >adding: "as long as there is no love between us we are all >orphans, regardless of whether they killed us or we killed >them, because every killing is self-destruction." (Part II >will appear on 4 July 2000.) (Jolyon Naegele >naegelej at rferl.org) > > >QUOTATIONS OF THE WEEK. >These are all taken from the Security Council debate of 23 >June. Thanks to RFE/RL's UN correspondent, Bob McMahon. > >"There's no room in this debate, Mr. President, for a >representative of this regime, which continues its repressive >tactics at home and its policies of nationalistic extremism >abroad." -- U.S. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke > >"It is impossible to deny that the [Federal Republic of >Yugoslavia] de facto remains a party to every track of the >peace process in the Balkans." -- Ukrainian Ambassador >Volodymyr Yelchenko (in English) > >"Gagging people's mouths is not the best way to discuss acute >international problems." -- Russian Ambassador Sergei Lavrov > >"There is still far more of the rule of the thugs than the >rule of the law. And although the local Kosovo Albanian >leadership has condemned acts of violence, there is still a >climate of tolerance of the terror that we must never >accept." -- UN Special envoy Carl Bildt > >Serbia and Montenegro "are today on a slow but steady course >towards a collision. This might not be imminent but the >trends are very clearly there. I believe it is of key >importance that we all give support to the elected >authorities in Montenegro in their efforts to pave the way >for the new deal they seek." -- Bildt again. > >(Compiled by Patrick Moore) >************************************************* >Copyright (c) 2000. RFE/RL, Inc. All rights reserved. >The RFE/RL Balkan Report is prepared by Patrick Moore >based on sources including reporting by RFE/RL's South >Slavic Service. > >Direct content-related comments to Patrick Moore in Prague at >moorep at rferl.org or by phone at (4202) 2112-3631. > >Technical queries should be emailed to listmanager at list.rferl.org >For information on subscriptions or reprints, contact Paul >Goble in Washington at (202) 457-6947 or at goblep at rferl.org. >Back issues are online at http://www.rferl.org/balkan-report > >NEWS BROADCASTS ONLINE >Listen to news for the South Slavic region daily at RFE/RL's >24-Hour LIVE Broadcast Studio on the RFE/RL Web site: >http://www.rferl.org/realaudio/index.html > >See also South Slavic Report at http://www.rferl.org/southslavic/ > >HOW TO SUBSCRIBE >Send an email to balkanreport-request at list.rferl.org with >the word subscribe as the subject of the message. > >HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE >Send an email to balkanreport-request at list.rferl.org with >the word unsubscribe as the subject of the message. >___________________________________________________________ >RADIO FREE EUROPE/RADIO LIBERTY, PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC > > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: winmail.dat Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 9796 bytes Desc: not available URL: <http://www.alb-net.com/pipermail/albsa-info/attachments/20000701/59e6313f/attachment.bin>
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |